Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard-Drive not showing in Finder despite no errors in Disk Utility.

Hi,

my WD MyBook Studio 6TB external HDD is not showing up in Finder, but it is showing up in Disk Utility. When I repair it, it shows everything is fine.

But there is somethine strange going on, when mounted the Drive shows as “blank file” icon.

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 2:47 PM

26 replies

Sep 10, 2013 3:32 PM in response to reitermarkus

I believe these drives are not Mac ready out of the box, you should erase and re-partition the drive. In Disk Utility select the drive from the left hand menu, click the Erase Tab, then click the "Erase..." button. Once this is done, select the drive at it's volume level and go to the Partiton Tab, select the drop down menu and choose "1 Partition", then choose the "Options..." button and choose the "GUID Partition Table" option, select "OK", then click "Apply" at the bottom right hand sectino of the DiskUtil window.

Sep 10, 2013 3:53 PM in response to reitermarkus

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

diskutil list | open -ef

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

Sep 10, 2013 4:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Ok, so here's the output:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh               371.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 256.0 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *6.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Storage HD              6.0 TB     disk1s2
/dev/disk5
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *999.2 GB   disk5
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk5s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine-Backups    998.8 GB   disk5s2

Sep 10, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

In Terminal:

ls: Storage HD: Permission denied

In TextEdit:

total 40
-rw-r--r--@  1 501  80  - 6148 11 Jul 20:05 .DS_Store
          com.apple.FinderInfo            32 
drwx------   1 0    0   -  264 10 Sep 07:04 Backups
lrwxr-xr-x   1 0    80  -    1 11 Sep 03:09 Macintosh -> /
drwxr-xr-x   5 0    0   -  442 10 Sep 15:03 Time Machine-Backups
drwxrwxrwx@  1 501  20  - 8192  9 Sep 23:37 Windows
          C0B21842-99B8-46E2-A991-EC7EEE7FEF28             8

Sep 10, 2013 7:03 PM in response to reitermarkus

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 11, 2013 10:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

I don't think it is a problem with my computer as the harddrive initially went missing on my Mac mini server and now have connected it to my iMac.

I'm now restoring my Movies with Data Rescue, which works fine. I will re-partition the drive afterwards.

This is gonna take days for 4 TB of Movies …

But something is strange when I restore it. I don't have permission to access the “Movies” folder that is restored.

Could this be related to the Terminal output above where it says “permission denied”?

Dec 31, 2013 2:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hey Linc Davis, just read your posts. I have the same issue as reitermarkus has described. Extrnal HDD, sounds like it's about to boot but then just seems to turn it self off. I can not see the HDD in Disk Utility, or in terminal or anywhere else for that matter.

Since you seem to know what you're talking about, I thought I'd ask the question, is there anything else I can do besides everything you listed above? Or am I looking at data recovery services by someone else?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2014 11:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc Davis!

I have the exact same problem, hopefully you will receive my output, which is below following your commands. I can not see the drobo under Go -- Computer and i can only see its contents under Disk Utility -- right click on Drobo and Open Drobo.

I had my Drobo USB connected to Mountain Lion MBPro, changed to MBPro Retina on Maverics and went to Mac Mini Server with Maverics and after years of absolutely no problems with Drobo - its now gone missing. I am quite sure it has to do something with permissions, but do not know how to fix it.

Please help!! There is 6 years of my digital life on there 😟

====

total 8

drwxrwxr-x 6 501 20 - 340 Mar 12 12:55 Clients TM Backup

drwxr-xrwx@ 29 0 0 hidden 1054 Feb 21 12:35 Drobo

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

0: FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA00000059 allow list,search,file_inherit,directory_inherit,only_inherit

1: 73F247A6-B700-47BD-8924-190C6928D04F allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextat tr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit

lrwxr-xr-x 1 0 80 - 1 Mar 10 15:56 Server RAID -> /

drwxrwxr-x 6 501 20 - 340 Mar 12 12:55 Server TM Backup

External Hard-Drive not showing in Finder despite no errors in Disk Utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.