Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s and personal hotspot on Verizon unlimited data plan

I am going to buy an iphone 5s when they arrive in stores. I currently have a verizon plan with unlimited data. If I register my new iphone 5s with my current verizon account, will I be able to use my 5s as a personal hotspot without purchasing it?

My current iPhone 4 has the button for a hotspot, however when I press it an error box pops up and tells me I need to add it. I read that based on a ruling verizon was no longer allowed to charge customers more for personal hotspots, however that only applied to _new_ plans.

I bought that iPhone 4 at the verizon store so I suppose I'd like to know if it makes a difference if I buy it independently at the Apple store, then just switch it using verizon's website.

It seems a personal hotspot should be completeley isolated from the carrier, would verizon even be able to tell? Other than cancelling my internet plan and phone data usage skyrocketing 🙂

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 7:00 PM

22 replies

Sep 10, 2013 7:20 PM in response to jstrate

I'm not aware of any court ruling that requires Verizon to provide a Hotspot feature under their unlimited plan (the "unlimited" plan actually throttles at around 3GB depending where you are located) so I would guess it will not be available to you. There is nothing in the 5S that would change that. No matter what you want to do to get a Personal Hotspot you will have to deal with Verizon - or change to another cell provider.

Sep 10, 2013 7:26 PM in response to jstrate

jstrate wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, verizon provides a web application interface which I can supply an iphone id and switch phones from there without modifying my current contract (which includes data)

Yes, the website is quite easy. As long as you're willing to pay full price, you should be able to keep the unlimited plan. I'm giving some thought to that myself.

Sep 10, 2013 7:34 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ok thanks that's good news. I'm fine with paying full price which is why I'm getting it from the apple store instead of using my contract.

Now I'd just like to know if I can use the hotspot without modifying my current plan, and presumably losing my 'unlimited' data plan.

AFAIK verizon can enforce the personal hotspot fees on preexisting accounts at the time of the ruling.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57485518-94/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlem ent-means-to-you-faq/

Which I was hoping wasn't the case. But if the iPhone 5s can run a personal hotspot independently I'd like to know. FWIW I've had phones that can in the past.

iPhone 5s and personal hotspot on Verizon unlimited data plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.