Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 alarm not working

I'm having some problems with alarm on my iPhone5. I rely on this as my only alarm to get my husband up early for work - at least once a fortnight it fails to go off! I have lost count how many times he has been late for work as a result of this. Am I doing something wrong or is there a glitch with the alarm???

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 7:46 PM

40 replies

Mar 28, 2017 12:14 AM in response to Nixteen

I Just had the same problem, the alarm wasn't working. What I did was set certain alarms to go off on specific days of the week, so when I changed the time, the DAY was still set for a different one.

So today is Monday and the alarm didn't go off at 7am because the day was still set for "every Saturday ". I deleted all the alarms, started new and everything is working fine.

Aug 22, 2017 6:32 AM in response to Nixteen

I had this issue with my 5s. I just assumed it was because it was old and needed to be replaced. Today I was late to work because the same thing happened with my brand new iPhone 7...... This is not good. I rely on my iPhone to do many things, but if it is going to keep biting me in the rear, I will have to figure something else out. I would rather know how to fix this issue, especially since I paid a lot of money for this phone.

Aug 22, 2017 8:21 AM in response to Mike27863

I understand it's a very, very frustrating problem. Unfortunately, though it has been a problem a number of people have had over the last few years, it's never been a very large number of people. That makes it harder to figure out what might be happening.

Other things probably already mentioned in the thread that have helped some people:

- Delete all of your alarms and add them back

- Use only built in alarm tones, not music

- Double check Bedtime and make sure it's not set to go off at the same time as your alarm.

Best of luck.

Aug 22, 2017 8:27 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Quick question to that - if another notification goes off at the exact same time, will they cancel each other out or one overrule the other? (Just asking about sound)

reason I ask is because you said "Double check Bedtime and make sure it's not set to go off at the same time as your alarm" and I did have a couple of email notifications this morning on my phone. Could this be part of the problem?

Aug 22, 2017 10:21 AM in response to Mike27863

Mike27863 wrote:

Quick question to that - if another notification goes off at the exact same time, will they cancel each other out or one overrule the other? (Just asking about sound)

They are not supposed to. I know I get several alerts at 8am and I hear them all, one after another. However, I haven't tried seeing what that will do to an alarm. You could try putting your phone on Do Not Disturb overnight. That won't affect the alarm.

Jan 17, 2014 7:45 AM in response to Nixteen

I am having this problem too and my iphone is new. I will try resetting it, the alarm goes off but the sound/vibration is turning itself off. Generally it works the first time and the next time it does not. I have found that I checked the slide button for sound and it will be off but I did not touch it. The alarm does go off but there is no sound of vibration to wake me. I have seen some others are having this problem. Hopefully resetting will work. thanks

Apr 7, 2014 4:58 AM in response to Nixteen

I have also had the same issue several times. I reset my iPhone 5 twice and restored. This did NOT help. Our alarm was supposed to go off at 5am this morning, we woke up at 7am and the iPhone screen said, "alarm" but no sound was coming from the phone. What is going on here apple? 2300 people have looked at this page, probably a fair guess that most of them are having these issues. Is this a bug???

Jun 12, 2014 4:46 AM in response to redhotplus

2 weeks I have been thinking it's just me. Getting to work late is frustrating and when I stay at my ladies I have to rely on something I thought was reliable. Looking at this I won't use the iPhone alarm any more. Had to be at work at 3 am woke up at 255 am alarm going off with no sound. I even checked it before I went to bed setting it for a minute after I set it. Then it did go off but the 155am alarm never made a peep. Very frustrating.

Aug 26, 2014 5:09 AM in response to Nixteen

This may sound stupid but there are two settings you need to check to get sound. Recently mine turned off for no reason. First, go to settings>sounds and there is a bar that says "ringers and alerts". Make sure the volume here is all the way up.

Secondly, on the alarm menu, edit the alarm that is not sounding. Beneath the alarm time, you will see a section describing "repeat", "label", "sound" and "snooze". Click "sound" and make sure you choose a sound. If "sound" says "none" then it will not play.

Like I said, these turn of randomly on me all the time when updating and doing other things on my phone so just check them.

iPhone 5 alarm not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.