Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure the "Per App VPN" feature in iOS 7?

I was excited to hear about the new "Per App VPN" feature in iOS7, but now that I have ios7 on my iphone 5, I don't see any way to configure this feature. How can I set ios to always use a vpn connection for specific apps?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 12:04 PM

It must be implemented by the developers themselves. It's not a setting on the iPhone itself.

13 replies

Sep 18, 2013 1:05 PM in response to celle02

Actually, I see that the configuration profile reference does make mention of settings to enable per app vpn for ios 7, so hopefully the configuration utility will offer some way to enable and configure this feature.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProf ileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010206

Sep 23, 2013 7:53 AM in response to TonyK58

TonyK58 -- There has always been an option, when configuring your vpn account on the iphone, to send all traffic over the vpn. The new feature is the ability to specify that certain apps will always use the vpn, but not others. It looks like this will be implemented through the iphone configuration policies, but the new version of iPCU with support for this feature hasn't been released yet.

Oct 4, 2013 6:55 AM in response to akiwilivinginchicago

Actually, I'm good with it being an enterprise feature. Sure it would be nice if it were available to everyone, but at least enterprise features are more easily accessible to the average joe than what William Lloyd had suggested above. If it had to be built into each app by the developers, that would make it pretty well useless.

I should have waited to mark that post as answering the question, I see now that it was incorrect, but don't have any option to 'unmark' it as the answer. Oh well. Thanks akiwilivinginchicago for the reference link.

Of course, the other problem with this is, as of yet there isn't a new version of iphone configuration utility, so there isn't an easy way to make a configuration profile that takes advantage of the new enterprise features in ios7. (Unless you are an enterprise that uses Mac OS.) There is updated documentation on the structure of the mobileconfig file, so it's possible to manually edit the files and add the ios7 features, but then you run into potential issues deploying the files, such as when signing and encrypting the files with a version of iPCU that doesn't recognize the new fields.

How to configure the "Per App VPN" feature in iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.