Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think iOS 7 may have just bricked my iPhone 4s

I just now tried updating to iOS 7 from the previous version. Installation seemed to go fine at first, then I got a message saying that there'd been an error and when I tried to turn it back on again I just get an image of the iTunes logo and the iPhone USB connector.

I assumed this meant 'connect your iPhone to iTunes via USB', and I've done that, but nothing's happening.

I paid £500 for this around one year ago so I will be livid if it's bricked. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 3:47 PM

20 replies

Sep 20, 2013 9:23 PM in response to Tokido

This just happened to me too.

Downloaded iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S. A message popped up saying update failed, but phone still running iOS 6. Then I saw that the OS 7 appeared to have finished downloading, so I pressed the "install update" button.

a picture requesting that I plug the phone into iTunes appeared.

I plugged the phone into the computer to restore the phone, but then after awhile, an error message on iTunes appeared saying the restore could not be completed.

help! all I get when I power up the phone is the Apple logo.

Sep 21, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Tokido

its been a couple of days since my iOS 7 release so I tried updating my 4s from my custome built pc. got an error while AFKand found phone bricked. tried all ways linked above and so far my iTunes will not see the phone, computer sees it just fine. once I have free time tomorrow I'm going to local apple store to have them look at it.

Sep 21, 2013 7:41 PM in response to marshe5

Had another of my techs look at it using a newer mac book pro {retina} and he restored it no problem. it may just be a file download corruption.

So a possible fix is to use a second computer (preferably a mac) with the latest version of iTunes. Have it download the iOS7 update and restore to that.

This is what worked for me.

Oct 24, 2013 3:18 PM in response to Tokido

OP here. So I just tried updating to iOS 7.2 or whatever the latest one is and this has happened again. How is it possible for Apple to **** up such a simple thing?

Does anyone know how I might this? Last time I got lucky and it just seemed to work after a couple of restore attempts but I've tried half a dozen now and it's not working.

Nov 14, 2013 6:31 PM in response to Tokido

I tried about a dozen times yesterday to update my phone to iOS7. My phone was completely functional, and had no issues. I decided to wait for several weeks after the new OS to see if people complained about it. After realizing it was relatively stable, I backed up my phone and initiated the upgrade. Like many of you - bricked after the first try. I have tried to restore with the new OS, old ipsw files, and a variety of options, but no dice. I just went in to the apple store genius bar. The guy took my phone, heard my story and then tried to put it in DFU mode. While he was trying, he turned it sideways and exclaimed "Oh wow, look at that, your phone is bent". He showed it to me and there was a slight curvature in the phone, probably from a year of it being in my pocket in the same direction. I have never had anything roll over it or even dropped it with much force for the phone to literally bend. He said he was going to take it to the back and open it up. He came back 10 minutes later and said the combination of the phone being bent and water damage indicator that he found in the phone make it no longer covered under warranty, and the reason why it isn't working. He had me check if I was eligible for an upgrade and I wasn't so he said I could buy a new phone for $450. I packed up my stuff and left. Luckily I already sold out of all my apple stock in my brokerage account.

Nov 14, 2013 6:33 PM in response to Tokido

And FYI, I was an embedded software engineer and know everything that he could try to do or might say about the inner workings of my phone. I'm trying to tinker and fix it myself, instead of taking his $450 offer. However I now work for a hedge fund, so I likely will not be spending too much time before I go out and buy a samsung galaxy S4.

I think iOS 7 may have just bricked my iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.