Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 - 3G toggle for iPhone 5

Hi,

I have a problem with my iPhone 5 - locked on Orange Romania.

Since the last iOS update (6 to 7) - I cannot switch off the 3G connection anymore. Instead, I have a 4G toggle that is completely useless - because 4G in my area is pure fiction.

My problem with the 3G toggle is that I really need it! In my office I have one bar for the 3G signal and I have many dropped calls.

First question: can I have my 3G toggle back?

Second question: who decides if the 3G toggle is available or not in the carrier bundle, Apple or the carrier itself?

Thank you!

PS: My carrier says that Apple decides what is available in the carrier bundle.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 2:29 AM

53 replies

Sep 19, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Garywoo

Nope, that does not help.

3G switches are configured in the carrier bundles. If one wants to disable the switch, all they have to do is edit a plist file in the carrier bundle and that's it.

I'm mostly use WiFi so 3G is not needed for me. All 3G does for me is drain out my battery and drop many calls because of the weak signal.

Oct 3, 2013 12:44 AM in response to OniNemesis

Ah, thank you OniNemesis. Where I live 4G (at least in frequency range suitable for my iPhone 4) isn't available yet, but my provider does offer 4G in other regions. So that might explain why my 3G toggle dissapeared and is replaced by a (useless) 4G toggle.

I wonder, if Apple aware of this. Do they read these forums? I can't imagine losing the ability to switch off 3G if you want to use gprs or Edge, is by deliberate design. It's a bug. I hope Apple is aware of it and fixes it with the next update ...

Oct 3, 2013 7:01 AM in response to Nelutu

Hello, i just signed for sim only contract with 3uk and i have an Iphone 4. The disable/enable 3g has disappeared from the setting. Does anyone know if this can be reinstated? I have a contract with vodafone in Spain and both iphoen i am using are iphone 4 ...whn i use the spaniosh sim the toggle is back again.

Can 3uk put the toggle back on my iphone?

Thanks

Oct 26, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Nelutu

It is upto the carrier.

In the carrier plist file there is a setting to display or hide the 3G toggle.

So it is upto the carrier.

With the advent of 4G carriers seem to be switching off the 3G toggle and only allowing a 4G toggle :-(

Complain to the carrier to update their bundle to allow the option back again.

That's what I have done.

Oct 30, 2013 3:43 AM in response to Nelutu

This really infuriates me.

I understand if the carrier is 3G only like 3UK.

However my iPhone 5S is on Vodafone UK, now I only have a Disable 4G toggle.

I don't have a 4G Tariff and the 3G coverage is not great, so I'd prefer to have a stronger signal on Edge than the battery drain while switching between poor 3G and strong 2G.

I know Apple like to simplify options to users, but this is just ridiculous.

I'm sure an Android based 4G device will allow you to select your preferred network band(s).

Oct 30, 2013 6:52 AM in response to g4vin

I know in iOS 6 they removed the toggle for every phone, then reinstated it due to popular demand. However, you'd be amazed how many folks don't know that a toggele even exists - even though its much easier to find than on android (I have both types of phone).

I live in an area with a very weak 3g signal (but strong 2g) so I feel its a a waste of battery having 3G enabled when I am at home with wifi.

As I said before, i think the missing toggle is at least partly carrier related.

The carrier bundle contains a file carrier.plist.

The first section of that file contains carrier options and one of those is to disable the 3G toggle. This would have to be enabled to show a 3G toggle.

It may also be the 4G setting that is overriding something. However, I suspect carrier involvement somewhere. The same nano sim in an iphone 5 offers a 3G toggle, whereas in my 5s there is not a 3G toggle. The differences are down to cellular chipset and differences in the underlying OS drivers and carrier settings caused by the hardware differences.

I have contacted my carrier and am awaiting a response. I have also contacted Apple and posted a feature request via their website. Between them something should drop out in the fullness of time.

In the meantime my carrier offer an app that can route calls and text via wifi or cellular, so I can use my phone in airplane mode, with wifi on, and still get calls. Pretty neat and it seems to work when I am at home. Even bigger battery saving!

Oct 30, 2013 10:27 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the reply.

They did remove it until ios 6 Beta 2 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384498). And they also removed it from the final release of iOS 5 until 5.1 . I even vaguely remember emailing Apple's suggestions department about that one when I got my new 4S.

Anyway, I too have been saying previously that the Toggle is mostly at the discretion of the carrier (in carrier.plist). But interestingly I had an online suport discussion with an Apple tech support. He had to throw it up the chain and the answer came back that the iphone 5s cannot switch 3G off.

Now make of this what you please. I read it two ways. Either the tech support engineers don't know and gave an off the cuff answer or iOS 7 on the 5s does not have the feature to disable 3G enabled because everyone is all focused on 4G.

I have read if you have a 4G tarriff you only get the 4G on/off toggle not the 3G. I am using 3G only so I can't comment on that, but my sim is a 4G compatible one.

I am still awaiting a reply from the carrier. Maybe they can shed some light on the subject, though I'm not counting on it becuase carrier support is not always brilliant.

<Link Edited By Host>

Oct 30, 2013 2:12 PM in response to KiltedTim

As I said previously several times, and I shall say it again by shouting o remove ambiguity, IT HAS BEEN UPTO THE CARRIER TO ENABLE OR DISABLE THE TOGGLE IN THE CARRIER.PLIST FILE - PART OF THE CARRIER BUNDLE.

But , as I also said previously, Apple online support told me that the iphone 5s does not have the option to disable 3G (irrespecetive of carrier). If you don't believe me then ask them yourself!

Or perhaps they don't know what they're talking about.

Anyway enough of switches!

If you are o2 use the TU Go app.

It's not too bad and you can run the phone with the cellular radios off, just leave wifi on and still get calls and texts.

And Vodafone do a hardware solution called Sure Signal (but it costs) for weak signal areas, and it provides a 3g hotspot in your home.

iOS 7 - 3G toggle for iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.