Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 won't charge with iOS 7

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 yesterday and since updating I have problems charging my iPhone in the wall outlet with the charging cable that came with the phone. It will charge when I use USB charging with my iMac. Anyone else have this problem?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Verizon, 16GB

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 4:33 AM

62 replies

Sep 19, 2013 9:42 AM in response to NJAnalyst

I too am having a charging issue. But mine works fine in wall but today at work I plugged it into my PC like I always have and nothing! It came up and asked if I trust this computer and I said YES.

HELP! My phone won't last the day without being plugged in as I use it all day long.

UPDATE: I disconnected waited about 30 mins. and plugged it back in and when it prompted to trust I said NO. Seems to be charging now... I dunno why???

Message was edited by: Jay_stl

Sep 20, 2013 8:12 AM in response to NJAnalyst

There's something very wrong with the battery life of my iPhone 4S. Since upgrading to IOS 7, the battery rapidly drains down, even with Bluetooth, Wifi and Location Services turned off. My phone was plugged into a wall charger the entire night and only charged to 64%. But the cherry on the misery sundae is that with the phone plugged into my laptop, the battery is draining!!! It was at 56% a couple of minutes ago and now it's at 49%, even though the battery icon and Battery Magic indicate it's charging.

I suspect this is as much related to some firmware updates that were made during the upgrade, as much as IOS 7. I would discourage anyone with a 4S from upgrading to IOS 7 and would caution anyone else from doing so as well. (My battery is now down to 48%).

Sep 20, 2013 8:26 AM in response to localnut1

Make sure that you are using an Apple certified charging cable. I had a cable that I bought online that was a cheap non-Apple cable and it worked up until I upgraded to iOS 7. Apple is not supporting non-certified charging cables or power supplies. I found this out from a 'genius' at the store and I bought an Apple cable which works.

Sep 20, 2013 8:31 AM in response to localnut1

It appears that the Sync process was draining the battery faster than it could charge. With Sync stopped, the phone seems to be charging normally. Still, there are definitely battery issues -- both discharging and charging -- with this version of the OS that I never experienced before. I'm sure they'll be addressed by Apple soon, but I'd err on the side of caution, before upgrading to IOS 7.

Sep 20, 2013 3:42 PM in response to NJAnalyst

I just updated my ipad and now it won't charge. It WAS charging during the upadte. I am using an apple cable, whatever they are called. I tried holding the home and on/off button until the apple appeared, released the buttons & let it boot. I tried turning it off on. I am plugged in to an AC outlet, I tried going off a USB port. Nothing is helping. I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY Q10 phone. people wonder why I don't want an iPHONE?/ HELLLO this crap. good grief. FIX THIS APPLE

Sep 20, 2013 8:10 PM in response to NJAnalyst

Same here! My iPhone 5 battery drained really fast after the ios 7 upgrade. It powered down and when I got home, I plugged it in to charge. Now its been over 2 hours and it still hasen't charged!

It just shows the miniumum red bar. I can't even contact Apple support because it requires my serial number on my phone! Whats going on Apple!? I hope this is not going to be an ongoing trend with Apple's QA on their new products. Very frustrated!

Sep 21, 2013 7:24 AM in response to NJAnalyst

I am absolutely disgusted and appalled by Apple's latest manoeuvre to block non-official lightning products since the upgrade to iOS7. As the iPhone 5 battery wasn't exactly great in the first place (which is now even worse in iOS7!), I have had to buy an array of additional charging cables and portable charging docks cases/batteries to carry with me at all times and often feel like a mobile power station! These it would appear are all now redundant and I'm left with a load of charging gadgets that can't be used with anything!

To buy the "official" versions of these products would cost me a small fortune, and some don't even exist as an "official" product at all! Not only have Apple increased the need for alternative charging options by utilising a pathetic battery in the iPhone 5, but they've also made it extremely difficult and expensive to maintain it! It's starting to have the running costs of a small car now!

This really does border on fascism and from a company that is so proudly American! Whatever happened to Apple's philosophy of "life improving", when recently, all they seem to be doing is making investors in their products lives' more difficult! I imagine Steve Jobs is probably turning in his grave!

Anyway, unless this "naziesque" move by Apple is not rectified in future updates anytime soon, I will have no other choice but to turn my back on over 10 years of loyal support for Apple products and look toward Android and others in my next upgrades. The dropping share price of Apple in the market also suggests that I'm not the only person to feel this way already!

Sep 22, 2013 12:47 AM in response to NJAnalyst

At least yours charges. Mine died while it was CHARGING and it said it was CHARGING, and now it won't charge and iTunes wants me to restore it because it's in recovery mode. It was fine 2 hours ago when I wen to bed, but now it's completely dead and nothing will wake it up. My warranty is expired, but I'm going to demand that they do something since my phone was just fine before I updated 2 days ago.

Sep 22, 2013 3:38 PM in response to NJAnalyst

Well, I have three devices on iOS 7 now. The iPad 3 is pretty much bricked. It cannot hold a charge while on and plugged in. It takes approximately a day to charge. With iOS 6 it would charge while running the most demanding of apps and stay at 100% charge.

The iPhone 4s no longer rapid charges either. It now takes approximately 12 hours to charge instead of 1 hour.

The iPone 5s charges quicker, but still seems to take 5-6 hours to charge. It does not drain the battery as quickly as the other two and thus can still be used.

Apples suggestion was for me to have the good battery in the iPad replaced with another good battery for the low cost of $99.99. Considering this is a software issue, I politely declined.

Sep 22, 2013 10:02 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Not catching fire, but electric execution. non-official charger due to very cheap, it never not charging your phone, but over-charged. I have a friend once using such product and it burnt his Samsume's chipset, can not be charged anymore. So he dumped that one and bought another one. So to my view, if you found your phone never charge again by using non-official charger, your chipset might already been burnt.

My iPhone 5 won't charge with iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.