Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speaker issue after update to iOS. 7

Updated to iOS 7 (as did to whole world at one time lol), but now the speaker doesn't work when watching videos or trying to listen to music. It DOES work for speaker phone, to hear ringtones, etc so I know it's not a speaker issue. Sound works just fine through Aux port as we'll . I've tried erasing phone and setting up as a new phone twice, but no luck. It doesn't even give me the option to turn up the volume as the music / videos are playing ... Even tried doing it from the accessibility area. I'm clueless. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated . Out of warranty 4S so going to take it in is out of the question

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:15 AM

28 replies

Sep 19, 2013 10:27 AM in response to iTraxx

Not a silly question considering some of the questions i've seen posted. But no. Like mentioned, speaker works PERFECT for speaker phone, To listen to different ringtones etc.

A few more issues i've noticed since posting the original post:

1) Volume Up/Down do not work at all on homescreen to turn ringer up and down. BUT it does work when i'm in the Settings Section of "Sounds". "Change with Buttons" is turned on. I've turned it off and back on, no fix.

2) I'm not hearing my Lock Sounds or Keyboard Clicks (and yes they are turned on). I've turned them off then back on.

I have tried a hard reboot with no luck. I'm about to do yet ANOTHER fresh reinstall and see if that fixes it. I don't know what's going on. 4 other phones in the household work just fine.

Sep 19, 2013 10:57 AM in response to JD9631B

OK. So yet ANOTHER fresh install and no luck. One other thing i noticed is that when I swipe "UP" to get my new control center...This phone doesn't show the "Airplay" icon. I know that "Airdrop" is only iphone 5 and above, but i believe the Airplay is suppossed to be there for Iphone 4S. I could be wrong. None-the-less....still hopelessly lost!

Sep 19, 2013 11:29 AM in response to JD9631B

This is another silly advice, but take it or leave it 😀
I had exactly same problem, I could hear ringtones and when someone called me if I tuned on speakerphone I could hear them. My iPhone was constantly in headphones "mode" and I was not able to hear music over my speaker.
So this advice may be funny or stupid but that helped me: - try to suck air from your power connector on iphone. So make a closing with your mouth all around lower part of iphone where connector is, and suck air as hard and as long as you can. Again do not blow, just suck air.
My GF was laughing at me but after 5 min of constant sucking of my phone (looks weird) I got everything to work normal as before.

Sep 19, 2013 12:37 PM in response to iTraxx

FIXED!

OK...So i didn't exactly suck on it lol..but you did give me an idea. Keep in mind I had also tried using an aircompressor , electronics high pressure air...EVERYTHING on the ports with no luck. Your idea of suck on it made me thing to clean the connector port another way. I got a brand new unused tooth brush and scrubbed the heck out of it. WOOHOO. It works like normal again. Thanks for your help

Sep 21, 2013 5:46 PM in response to JD9631B

I upgraded to iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and also noticed that I have lost control over the built-in phone speakers in music and video mode. Speaker function still works in the phone mode. When I tried to increase the volume in the music mode, the volume control is essentially "grayed out" and there is no buttom to increase volume. However, when I plug in my headphones, the volume button reappears and I regain control over the volume control and can hear audio again.

It seems this may be a bug in the iOS 7 in which it disables the built-in iPhone speaker functions in all modes except for the phone mode.

Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

Sep 25, 2013 5:34 AM in response to tallbaldguy

I have determined it is actually a bad connector port (where the phone plugs in and out). I'm assuming that the toothbrush just temporarily realigned the connectors. It did it again do I wiggled the connector from back of phone to front (actually seeing a few connectors sticking up) and was able to get them reseated to the port. It fixed it again. I've reordered a new connector port. I have a feeling that is everyone in this threads issue.

Speaker issue after update to iOS. 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.