Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents in icloud are not downloading to my mac

I have three Macs two ipads and two iphones that all share the same apple ID. However dcouments done in pages, numbers and preview stop downloading into one of the macs. I have tried signing out and back in of iclouds, I have tried restarting the computer and I have tried unticking the documents and data option and reticking it. Now the documents are in icloud but they are all have a status "waiting" and none of the documents are downloading. When I try to open a document I get this message:

The operation couldn't be completed (LibrarianErrorDomain error 1 - Unable to initiate item download.)

This has be going on for about 8 hours.

Shennique

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:31 AM

17 replies

Jun 22, 2018 1:13 AM in response to shennique

I cannot update documents in iCloud too. I created new documents several hours ago and till now it is still in status of uploading. When I checked iCloud staroge, it showed nothing, just backup and mail information, none of information about documents.

Sep 20, 2013 2:07 PM in response to shennique

I have the same problem and on my MacBook I tried turning of Documents and Data in iCloud settings and now I cannot access the majority of my iworks documents. Transferred all my documents on my imac to good old reliable Dropbox. Think I will purchase more storage on Dropbox and abandon iCloud. iCloud has often given temporary problems but this problem has been going on for several days now. For a company(Apple) that claims to be so good this is just not acceptable.

Sep 22, 2013 8:28 AM in response to shennique

I spoke with Apple support yesterday. I was told that they are aware of the problem and should have a fix soon (within the next couple of days).

I 'm also waiting for another tech to call me back today.

Frustrating not only not being able to access my Keynotes on my devices, but my third party apps that use iCloud (Ulysses III, Byword, and Day One documents) are inaccessible too.

Sep 25, 2013 11:36 PM in response to Mulderscully

I spoke with Apple Support on the morning of September 24th...

I updated BOTH my devices (iPad and iPhone) to IOS 7 the day it came out (Wed, Sep 18th).

I use Numbers extensively on my iPad and soon began to notice that none of the changes I made to my spreadsheets were being uploaded to iCloud. I tried several troubleshooting steps like turning Document Sync off then on again, turning cellular data off then on again, etc. I followed ALL the advice in Apple's knowledge base article about documents not syncing. Nothing worked!!!

I went to Numbers on my iPhone. The documents there were old as I had not used it in quite a while. However, all the newer documents that were in the cloud were NOT downloading to the phone.

I took screenshots of all the altered spreadsheets so I'd have a record of the latest changes to the documents and then UNINSTALLED Numbers from both my devices. Upon re-install of Numbers on the iPad, the original changed documents (that should have been deleted) were still there with upward arrows on them awaiting upload to iCloud. All the other documents were gone due to the uninstall of the app.

Next I went to icloud.com to try to see my spreadsheets from there. Every time I click on "Numbers" there, it takes me back out to a login window. When I re-enter my credentials, back to the icloud.com home screen for a repeat. No access to Numbers via icloud.com!!!

I also tried opening Pages on icloud.com and had the same problems. I had a friend try Numbers and Pages on icloud.com and he had no problem getting access.

To further investigate, I went to the GoodReader app on my iPad and tried to download a file that had recently been placed in the GoodReader iCloud folder on my Mac. The file would not download to GoodReader. I then tried adding a new file to the iCloud folder in GoodReader on the iPad and again, the file would not upload!!!

Next step was a call to Apple. The tech I spoke to eventually found someone that told him that this was a known issue that occurred on Apple's Documents in the Cloud servers coincident with the launch of IOS 7. It did not affect all users, only certain AppleID's and mine happened to be one.

I was told that they are working on it but there is no way to receive notification of when a fix was made. Also, there was no idea of a timeframe. I was told that I can "just keep trying until it works" or call support as often as I would like with my case number.

All-in-all, the tech was very nice and apologetic. There truly was nothing he could do.

In summary…

- for certain users ALL documents in the cloud syncing is not working.

- for the same users, iWork in the Cloud is not working

- Apple knows about the issue and is working on it

I understand that these problems will happen, I just hope Apple gets it fixed soon. I feel naked without my spreadsheets. 🙂

Jun 22, 2018 1:13 AM in response to shennique

4 Days after I contacted with Apple service, iCloud documents appear in my Mac again and all of functions work well. If you've met the same problem, just send an email to technical support.

Jan 23, 2014 5:47 PM in response to shennique

What worked for me was when I would get the error message on one device I would always be able to access it on atleast one other device and all I had to do was open the document on that device and then back out of it and it would cause it to update accross the board and I would be able to open it on all my other devices after than. Hope this helps!

Jan 23, 2014 11:25 PM in response to shennique

I took a picture on my iPhone, added it to my Keynote, and got the same error message that shennique has been having on my iMac. I solved the problem by quitting Keynote on my iPhone, and on my iMac, and then reopening it on my iPhone a few minutes later. It will say that there are two conflicting versions saved in iCloud, and then you can choose which one you want to be the version you have in iCloud, while the other will be discarded. I chose the one most recently edited on my iPhone, and instantly, all my problems went away. Phew! Hope it works for all of you as well!

Documents in icloud are not downloading to my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.