Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Radio "My Stations" won't play

I created a favorite radio station two days ago, added a bunch of artists to it and played it for a couple of hours. Then it went silent. Nothing. Two days later, I still cannot play that "station" even though I can play Featured Stations fine. I was all set to love iTunes Radio, but ****, this shouldn't be this difficult.

To be clear, when I hit Play on that "station" I see a Pause button for a second, and then the play button reappears, no music is played.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 6:46 PM

I have the same problem, only I only got about 1 hour of play before it died. Apple help please!

30 replies

Sep 23, 2013 9:52 AM in response to jmhardy

Same issue. My personal station played as I created it, and as I added songs and artists to it, but then once created when I went back to play it fails every time.

Clicking Play changes the icon briefly to "Pause" indicating playback for 1 second, then it reverts to the Play icon. Total failure.

Sep 24, 2013 1:26 PM in response to NormalGuy

Thank you NormalGuy!

That was the ticket! I cut down to 15 (OOH! I snuck in a bonus artist or two!) and my personal station "WBAZ" is now playing. Really, REALLY dumb limitation, and not documented anywhere I can find.

If it is a true "feature" and not a bug, why is there no "You have added the maximum number of artists to your station" warning/error dialog? This is a version 0.9 problem on a released product--not good.

Sep 26, 2013 1:15 PM in response to jmhardy

I think the issue has less to do with how many artists/songs in your "more like this" category and more to do with how many songs in your genre are available. I created two stations, one for J-pop and one for '80s music. The '80s station plays whenever I want, no problems. I've added a bunch of artists and songs to the "more like this" section, and still no problem. The J-pop station is the opposite. I can play it for about 90 minutes or so if I don't add a single artist or song to the "more like this" category. If I add anything to that category, it cuts off sooner. I tried totally deleting and re-creating the J-pop station, and I noticed iTunes played the exact same songs in almost the exact same order. I think that means iTunes doesn't have enough songs available in that category to keep the station going. The more I narrow the possible playlist, the fewer songs available to play.

That's just my theory anyway. And, I think it's why some stations play fine and others don't. It probably depends on the iTunes music library in that category. I also noticed that just because an artist is available for purchase in that category does not mean it's available to play in iTunes Radio.

Itunes Radio "My Stations" won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.