Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 7 iphone 5 itunes 11.1 ringtones won't sync

ARGH!!!!!! I'm ready to throw the mac and the phone right out the window! 😠 It's just frustrating that this is such a cluster-f.

I've NEVER gotten my iPhone 5 to FINISH syncing, EVER. Windows, Mac, doesn't matter it's NEVER finished a sync. It has ALWAYS said waiting for something to finish and I end up having to stop the sync. Well not with IOS 7, I have to shutdown the phone to get the sync to stop...

Does anyone have a fix for this mess?

Not jailbroken, obviously...

Mac: 10.8.5

iPhone 5: iOS 7

iTunes: 11.1

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 1:13 PM

29 replies

Sep 21, 2013 5:43 AM in response to rla26368

I am having the same problem. I've restarted my computer, restarted my iphone... every time it gets stuck. Even when I cancel the sync,eject my iphone (from iTunes), and unplug the USB cabel, the sync icon on my phone is still running. I don't use wifi sync so there should be no reason for my phone to still think it's connected. Worse, a few times I've disconnected and reconnected, the bar along the bottom that shows you how much memory you've used and how it's divided... it shows all "OTHER". 15+GB of orange...

Finally get that fixed and now it's re-loading my pictures... for the 10th time!! fix this APPLE!!!

Sep 21, 2013 7:57 AM in response to bsiu99

bsiu99 here's what I had to do to get sync to work. Not sure if EVERYthing was part of the fix or just some of it.

On the phone:

1. disabled wifi

2. disabled cellular

3. turned off iCloud backup

In iTunes:

1. disable ALL syncs you can, music, pictures, TV, movies, etc, the only one I don't find a way to stop is apps, sync from phone summary page (or apply changes, I can't remember which button shows up at this point, it was late and I was tired).

2. eject phone, sync actually stopped on the phone when I did this, to my surprise!

3. close iTunes.

4. reboot phone

4a. you can reboot your computer if you like, but I did not do this, so I don't know if it's necessary.

5. open iTunes

6. connect phone via usb

7. on "tones" page, select sync individual ringtone, sync.

8. select sync of next ringtone, leaving all previous checked, sync.

9. repeat 8 until all your ringtones are synced

10. on "music" page, select individual play list (if that is what you want/need, otherwise make your selection by album or artist, etc), sync.

11. repeat step 10 for each playlist (artist, album, or which ever) leaving all previous selections checked, sync.

This was the ONLY way I have EVER gotten my iPhone 5 to complete a sync. I've had the thing for over a year now and wow, am I shocked and surprised. Anyway, it may work for you this way as well. It's just a lot of trial and error.

Sep 23, 2013 2:34 AM in response to rla26368

Thank you for your comprehensive description on how to resolve this issue.

I have four home made ringtones on my iPhone that won't sync back to where they started from. I tried de-selecting my music, but my Mac told me it would delete all the music from my phone, I didn''t fancy doing that and then putting it all back again. The same with books and photos. I'll just keep clicking the annoying button that says my tones won't sync!

It's really frustrating when Macs won't do what they are supposed to do. I guess we are becoming spoilt with the "it just works" simplicity of the Mac user interface.

Sep 23, 2013 3:21 AM in response to Hawksmoor

I agree Hawksmoor, I was highly peeved that I had to remove everything from my phone and then restore it. I had 64 custom ringtones to restore, one by one, and several playlists.

I do not believe the Mac is the issue, I had this problem on my Windows system as well. I believe the problem, for me at least, is with the iPhone 5. I have an iPad and iPod and both sync without issue. My husband has an iPhone 4S and he's never had any issues with syncing.

I've read that if you upgraded your iPhone from an older model to the 5 and used an old backup to restore your 5 from that this was caused the sync problem. I haven't tested this to be able to say for sure.

Sep 23, 2013 3:36 AM in response to rla26368

Thanks again ria26368. Your last paragraph is of particular interest as I did have an iPhone 3 and used the backup to set up my iPhone 5 when I bought it a year ago. It sounds as if this may be where the problem started. My 4 ringtones aren't that important to me. It was just fun when my boss rang and Handel's Hallelujah chorus rang out!

I'd still like to fix it as I don't like being defeated by a stupid computer!

Sep 23, 2013 5:55 AM in response to Hawksmoor

> I'd still like to fix it as I don't like being defeated by a stupid computer!

Hawksmoor, ME TOO! I was completely obsessed with getting this problem resolved. Failure was not an option.

FWIW I have not tired a full sync since I did the incremented sync from the steps above. I'm a tad concerned it will still be unable to do a full sync and I will have to wipe everything on the phone out and repeat the incremented syncs to get my ringtones and music up to date on the phone.

Sep 23, 2013 6:45 AM in response to rla26368

Ria26368, I tried to do your fix above WITHOUT turning off syncing for the music, photos etc. and just selecting one tone to sync, but all it did was delete the other three tones! I tried to restore from the last iPhone backup, but it didn't restore the previously held tones, so I'm going to get on with something else more productive!

I think if you have the tones on your computer it will do a full sync just fine, allegedly! Good luck!

Sep 24, 2013 10:48 AM in response to rla26368

I had the same problem with my ringtones and I found the solution after trying different methods for 4 days.

I had an iphone 4S with 147 custom ringtones that worked perfectly and now I've got an brand new iphone 5S with no ringtones... until now.

The solution is quite simple, really, and it is not necessary to reboot any device.

1. Go to iTunes, Tones, and select all, delete. (Don't worry, it will delete from iTunes but will not delete the actual files).

2. Plug your iphone to your Mac/PC and Sync. (It will Sync 0 Tones, that's fine)

3. Upload your ringtones back again to Tones in iTunes.

4. In iTunes, go to Devices / iPhone, Tones tab, check Sync Tones, and check Selected Tones. Then check all Ringtones or only a few (it does not matter).

5. Sync

Enjoy! (:

ios 7 iphone 5 itunes 11.1 ringtones won't sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.