Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone 5s have Wi-Fi calling?

Does the new iPhone 5s have Wi-Fi calling capability? I do not mean Apple Talk. I am referring to regular calling via Wi-Fi instead of cellular.

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 2:48 PM

104 replies

Sep 20, 2013 3:18 PM in response to BarbaraJ

Thank you, serenitynow1.

I need to be able to use true wi-fi calling, not VoIP, so I guess I will have to stop using my iPhone 5, not bother to invest more money to get an iPhone 5s, and go back to my Samsung phone.

I would think that Apple has enough technology to put the darn wi-fi calling capability into a phone that costs so much and has all those other wondrous things, including wi-fi for apps, etc.

This is just not acceptable!

Nov 20, 2013 11:23 AM in response to BarbaraJ

Is there even a rumor that Apple is looking into adding this feature in a future IOS update? This is also preventing me from upgrading from my original Edge iPhone. I live in an area with no cell coverage, and having this ability on T-mobile's network would really help continuity of coverage. I really hate giving out my cell number then have to turn around and say I can't get calls when I'm at home

Nov 20, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Ralph9430

Well, as I understand it, your phone can use your wi-fi internet connection to make calls, rather than the 4G, etc., cellular connection. If this is not correct, please forgive me, and I hope one of the other responders will correct my error.

I have a similar problem to Robert in Seattle, in that I live in a pretty good coverage T-Mobile area, but not the best, and I live in a mobile home. Hence, I have metal outer walls and two layers of metal roof. There is nothing like lliving in a metal box to mess up your cell phone reception! Anyway, when I had my Samsung phones, I could wi-fi connect them to my router and call that way, which gave me much better connectivity. Since T-Mobile no longer supplies a cell signal booster for use inside buildings, (although they are available for sale online for about $500, or maybe less), I have very weak signals in my house. The only two rooms with good signal are the dining and living rooms, which are on the front. That must be the direction of the local tower. It is VERY inconvenient to have to leave my office in the back of the house every time I want to make or receive a call, but as of now, that is what I have to do with my iPhone.

As I said before, it just seems incomprehensible that a company with all the front-running technology like Apple would make a phone that is lacking in such an important and widely available area. What's the deal????

Dec 19, 2013 2:53 PM in response to BarbaraJ

I can certainly understand why discussion of rumors is a ToS violation. But, would it be a ToS violation for someone in the know to explain here why UMA/wi-fi calling hasn't ALREADY been implemented on the iPhone? Every mobile carrier has signal strength issues somewhere. The technology for routing cell calls over wifi isn't rocket science. Maintaining another app and/or a seperate number just for placing/receiving calls via wi-fi when cell signal strength is an issue is a PITA.

It seems like a 'no-brainer' to me...so, obviously there must be something I'm overlooking. Is there something unique to the iPhone hardware/design and/or iOS software that makes this more difficult to impliment than it is on other mobile phone platforms?

Other than this head-scratcher, I've been extremely pleased with my iPhone 5 so far...& still coveting the 5s!!

Dec 22, 2013 1:33 PM in response to CLBinTX

my nokia from 2005 had wifi calling, so its not a technological issue per se. its more of a business decision or rather indecisions - businesses not seeing eye to eye.

yes i agree that all carriers should have the motivation to offer free wifi calling esp. since most smartphone plans now have unlimited calling. what exactly is the roadblock i do not know, but its definitely not technology.

Apr 6, 2014 2:19 PM in response to BarbaraJ

T-Mobile is the only domestic (USA) cellphone provider to implement UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) Wifi Calling. Orange UK provides this feature in the UK.

Summarized, this technology allows for WiFi hotspots to act as a cell tower. In our case, once logged into a WiFi hotspot, we have full T-Mobile access, both for voice and data. This has worked for me, since I first moved to T-Mobile back when my late father's home in the hills had no cell coverage, but with WiFi I had full T-Mobile cellphone capabilities.

I now use this capability when I visit the Santa Cruz mountains on a bi-monthly basis and when I visit London on an annual basis. The added bonus in London, is that all voice calls and texts back to the USA are considered within my normal cell package with no roaming charges.

Initially T-Mobile phones had this UMA WiFi feature hard wired into their phones (such as Blackberry) and later Kineto Wireless developed an Android app (and has indicated to me that they have no interest in developing an iPhone app, for reasons discussed below).

Historically T-Mobile did not offer the iPhone until the iPhone 5 (although it did "support" earlier unlocked models). This had to due with data frequencies issues that are not related to this issue.

When T-Mobile offered their first iPhone, the iPhone 5 with iOS 6, they indicated that a future update to iOS was needed to implement UMA WiFi Calling; suggesting their support for this feature with the introduction of iOS 7.

After the introduction of iOS 7 did NOT include this feature, T-Mobile announced that Apple was blocking their implementation of this app; presumably because Apple wants to continue to build support for Facetime Audio and iMessage; two features which do NOT have the universality that UMA WiFi Calling offers (I can call and receive calls and text and receive texts from ANYBODY; not just Apple device users).

Suggestions of Skype, Facetime audio, etc. are just missing the point: I have a telephone number that everyone knows that they can use to reach me with voice and text. UMA WiFi Calling allows all of my friends, family and business associates to reach me no matter where I am around the world. NONE of these alternatives have 100% capability and ease of this feature.

I do use a workaround however, until Apple removes its block of the UMA WiFi app: I move the micro-SIM from my iPhone 5 (with an adapter) over to my original Blackberry Curve 6950 when travelling and get the best of both worlds. I continue to pay T-Mobile for repair insurance to replace this Blackberry as needed.

That being said, I should not have to go to the effort to move the SIM back and forth as needed (and extra expense); Apple needs to remove its block so we can use our iPhones 100% of the time; as I was promised when I purchased it in April 2013.

Apr 13, 2014 6:44 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hi, MichaelLAX-

Thanks for the information. I have gotten some additional info from a T-Mobile rep (by accident, I think). The reason Apple is not allowing Wi-Fi calling is that they lose revenue on it. When you use a Wi-Fi connection to access your carrier, they do not have to pay Apple for that usage, which they do if you use the regular over-the-air cell access. Now THAT makes perfect sense, knowing Apple as we all do!

There HAD to be more to this than technology, since the iPhones clearly have Wi-Fi for other things.

I am currently seriously considering the new Samsung Galaxy S5. It DOES make Wi-Fi calls.

Apr 13, 2014 10:36 AM in response to BarbaraJ

BarbaraJ:

Thank you for jumping back in here!

I remember that Apple blocked Skype's app for some time after the original iPhone was introduced and then finally relented.

The excuse at that time was that the carrier (AT&T)'s data network could not handle the extra traffic, since Skype allows for data calls as well as WiFi calls.

There are now other data-calling apps allowed as well, so I think the reason must be deeper than that!

Please report back your experiences with the Galaxy S5! Does that mean it will be your 2nd phone, or you will get it in lieu of an iPhone?

Apr 13, 2014 2:06 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

MichaelLAX-

I figured that the reason has to be deeper, too, but didn't even think about the revenue side of it until the rep told me that. I had never known that the carriers paid the manufacturers on a per-call, or whatever counting system, basis. It made it much more understandable!

If I do put out the high $$ for the Galaxy S5, it will be my main phone. (I might even trade in the Iphone 5) It is so much more user-friendly and not so proprietary. The apps are much less expensive, too. Overall, although I am an Apple fan, having a Mac mini, an iPad, and an iPod, in addition to the iPhone 5, I am offended by Apple's stance in this. Wi-Fi calling is available by almost every other manufacturer, and that is how it should be. Apple is doing their public a disservice with this one!

Please let me know if you hear any more about this! Thanks!

Apr 13, 2014 2:08 PM in response to BarbaraJ

BarbaraJ wrote:

Hi, MichaelLAX-

Thanks for the information. I have gotten some additional info from a T-Mobile rep (by accident, I think). The reason Apple is not allowing Wi-Fi calling is that they lose revenue on it. When you use a Wi-Fi connection to access your carrier, they do not have to pay Apple for that usage, which they do if you use the regular over-the-air cell access. Now THAT makes perfect sense, knowing Apple as we all do!

That is pure, unadulterated bull.

Does the iPhone 5s have Wi-Fi calling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.