Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all my pictures thanks to the ios 7 update

I have an iphone 4s, and I'm pretty sure all my pictures are now completely gone.
I plugged my iphone into my computer, and itunes had to update. (Ok, that took forever, but whatever).
So I let my iphone update to ios 7 while I went to sleep last night (dumb move on my part, should've just not updated at all).

Anyway, so I wake up, and itunes told me it couldn't finish updating due to some error, so I click ok. Then it somehow DID update, so now it's stuck on the 'connected to itunes' screen. I restored it numerous times, since it's just doing nothing even though itunes says it's all good to go.
After I restored it at least 10 times, I decided to just select "Set Up as New Iphone".

Well, that got me to the homescreen, I fiddled with some apps and then noticed that ALL my pictures are GONE! Cool, right????? (no).
So, I googled how to get them back. Ok, apple suggests that I do a backup on itunes and that should restore my pictures. Ok, if it'll get my pictures back, i'll do it. ( I ALWAYS plug my iphone into my computer and sync it with itunes, and it says it's been backed up periodically).
Anyway, NOPE. Nothing. No pictures, and now my iphone is ONCE AGAIN stuck on the 'connected to itunes' screen, and no matter what I do, NOTHING HAPPENS.

All I want are my pictures back, so can someone PLEASE tell me if there's any hope of getting them back?????

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 6:46 AM

28 replies

Sep 21, 2013 7:37 AM in response to ak421

You can download it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1455

Try installing it, it may have backed up your pictures to iCloud

When you say you have the "connected to iTunes screen" do you mean the screen with a picture of the USB cable and the itunes logo? If so then that is not a screen to say it is connected to iTunes, it means you need to connect your iPhone to the computer because there is a problem.

I'd plug your phone in and try to restore it using a backup from a date before you updated to iOS 7. You may have caused a problem by selecting to set it up as a new device as iTunes sometimes deletes older backups when you do this. If you can't restore it to an older date in iTunes then try restoring from iCloud and again select a date from before you updated to iOS 7

Sep 21, 2013 7:58 AM in response to bluelightalarm

i don't think it backed up to icloud, but i'll try anyway, thanks.

and yeah, it's the screen with the usb cable and itunes logo. it does this no matter what, even if i had restored/backed it up over and over.

i also can't find any older backups besides from this morning so i think i really did screw it up 😟

thanks for your help though!

Nov 9, 2013 6:13 PM in response to ak421

I have this same exact problem. I waited a long time to update to iOS 7 because of the bad reviews, but i started to get really annoyed by the red 1 next to settings, so I just did it. The same exact thing happened, and I'm so mad! I just went to a great concert, and on vacation, and all my pictures from both of those are GONE. I never back up my phone because I've never had a problem like this before. I blame Apple because I called customer support and the person was just saying that I should back it up from now on, and that didn't help me at all. Anyways, I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to see if they can fix it, but I was wondering if you had found a solution for it, or just given up.

Nov 9, 2013 6:53 PM in response to EmmaNicole4

EmmaNicole4 wrote:

I never back up my phone because I've never had a problem like this before.

That's really dumb.

EmmaNicole4 wrote:

I blame Apple because I called customer support and the person was just saying that I should back it up from now on, and that didn't help me at all.

Another dumb statement... the user that failed to backup the device is the culprit and the ONLY one to blame.

EmmaNicole4 wrote:

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to see if they can fix it

A waste of time. No one can fix the issue unless a backup was done providing something to restore those pics from.

Lost all my pictures thanks to the ios 7 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.