Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Wifi Connect to iPhone 5 or iPad 2 with iOS 7 without USB Connection to Computer

I updated to iOS 7 last night o both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. I'm running OS 10.8.5 on my MacBook Pro, and iTunes 11.1 I used to be able to sync by wifi without plugging in with a USB cable. I have all three devices on the same wifi network, and now the iPhone and iPad onlly show up in iTunes if they are plugged in.

I went to Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and Sync Now only highlights when the devices are plugged in via USB. Then the devises will sync via wifi, who whats the point if they have to be plugged into the compter to do this.

How do I restore the ability to sync on iTunes over a wifi network withoug having to plug into the MacBook Pro?

LL

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 1:39 PM

25 replies

Sep 21, 2013 10:38 PM in response to Larry144

I have the same problem here. both my iphone and ipad is running ios6.12 and my iMac is running 10.8.5

Since i upgrade to iTunes 11.1 they can't sync through wifi. remote app is not working and home sharing function not working either.

I've tried resetting everything. it doesn't help. its definately the problem of iTunes 11.1

I've tried installing the previous version of iTunes and recover it from TimeMachine, but we can't unless you delete iTunes through Terminal.

Sep 21, 2013 11:07 PM in response to Mike Johnson12

Event my iphone or ipad is charging from the charger and connected to wifi they still won't show on iTunes. Now the only way for me to sync is connecting my devices to Mac with the cable. But remote app and home sharing are dead..

by the way when i connect my iphone the "Automaticall sync when this iphone is connected" is on grey. it seems abnormal..User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2013 5:14 PM in response to Larry144

Hey guys,

i got a pretty equal problem! Just that my iPhone running iOS 7.0.2 can be Wifi-synced but my iPad 3 on 6.1.3 not! I'm using itunes 11.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.5!

I'm pretty sure, iTunes 11.1 has an error (maybe wanted by Apple so we "have to" update our devices) which kills wifi sync on iOS 6.1.3!

By the way, a reboot didn't/doesn't solve the problem for me!

Sep 28, 2013 9:03 PM in response to Larry144

I guess "a reboot" might have been a little ambiguous, but I meant that I restarted OS X (10.8.5, iTunes 11.1, iPad on 5.1.1, iPhone 3Gs on 6.1.3, iPhone 5s (originally not showing up) on 7.0.2).

Prior to that I had rebooted the iPhone 5s a couple of times, connected via cable and toggled WiFi sync settings a few times, restarted iTunes a few times, attempted to "Sync Now" from the iPhone 5s (connected to power and not) a few times. None of these actions had any apparent effect.

I also renamed the iPhone 5s, which originally had the same name as the 3Gs, but that didn't appear to make any difference either, and probably isn't at all problematic, nor is it part of your scenario.

The only other thing I did that might have been related was to assign the iPhone 5s a DHCP reservation on the router, which the other devices already had, effectively giving it a fixed IP. But, even that appeared to make no difference. It was only after I restarted OS X that it showed up. The iPad showed up first, and fairly quickly, the iPhone 5s, finally, after a delay of maybe a minute or more.

The OS X restart was almost certainly the first restart after installing iTunes 11.1, so it's possible the install wasn't able to take care of everything it needed to w/o the restart.

Your "Automatically sync..." option is probably disabled because you have the "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" option (iTunes Preferences/Devices) turned on. My "Prevent..." option is unchecked and "Automatically sync..." is checked, as well as having "Sync ... over WiFi" checked.

Oct 2, 2013 3:06 PM in response to Larry144

I also have this problem, mountain lion, iphone 5s, itunes 11.1. Used to be able to see the iPhone on iTunes because I had Wi-Fi sync checked. Now I cannot see either iPad 3 or iPhone 5s.

One of several bugs with this new OS version. You said you fixed by going on another wi fi network. When you go back to the old one does the problem reoccur?

Also if you dont' have the choice for another wi-fi network, this is not a possible workaround.

Hopefully this bug is submitted.

Oct 25, 2013 11:07 AM in response to Larry144

I have this same problem. I'm running Mac OSX 10.9, iTunes 11.1.2, iPhone 5, and iOS 7.0.3. My iPhone does not appear in the device bar. Everything is set to connect over WiFi. When I use the USB cable the iPhone pops up right away in the device bar and I can proceed as usual.

I've tried restarting the MacBook and the iPhone. Toggling the sync over WiFi button. Assigning the iPhone it's own IP address on my router. Nothing has worked.

Can't Wifi Connect to iPhone 5 or iPad 2 with iOS 7 without USB Connection to Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.