Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios7 will not work with my att microcell

My att microcell has not worked since I downloaded ios7 on my iphone 5. Does anyone know a solution?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 11:03 AM

21 replies

Sep 22, 2013 3:38 PM in response to drwoods

I also had no "AT&T M-Cell" icon and no microcell connection after I installed ios7 on my iPhone 5. After playing around with settings, I discovered that as soon as switched off "Enable LTE" (settings>cellular>enable LTE) I immediately connected to my microcell. Unfortunately, with in ios7, it appears you must disable LTE manually, unlike with ios6.

Sep 23, 2013 6:08 AM in response to pvonk

As it turns out, I apparently have a microcell issue. But the AT&T support tech said that others who have had this issue have been able to fix it by resetting their network settings on their iPhone (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings). Just a note: resetting networkk settings removes all saved wifi & bluetooth connections. So, afterwards, you have to pair your bluetooth devices again, & you have to re-enter all of your wifi passwords.

Oct 14, 2013 8:04 PM in response to drwoods

Bringing this thread back as I am having problems with my att microcell since moving to the iphone 5s with ios7. We had 3 iphone 4 devices all connected to the microcell without issue, but once we upgraded the new phones will not reliably connect to the microcell. We have rebooted the microcell, the phones, and reset network connections without any luck. If I disable LTE on the new 5s phones, then they connect to the microcell, if I turn LTE back on, the phones fall off.

I've noticed that if I turn my phone on in the house in thee morning, it will never connect to the mirocell, even if I only am getting 1 bar of LTE service, or even "no service". If I travel from an area with 5 bars of LTE service and return home, then the phone will usually connect to the microcell.

It really seems like a nuisance to have to turn LTE on/off in order to get the microcell to work.

I've contacted ATT and they have no answers or suggestions for me. I wish Apple, ATT and Cisco will pay some attention to this problem.

Dec 15, 2013 10:28 AM in response to drwoods

I see no further suggestions on this topic. I've gone through all the troubleshooting noted above - reset network settings, reset Microcell, etc. I have an iPhone 5 and it does not have "Enable LTE" options; disabling this, however, doesn't seem a good option, as I'd have to remember to turn it back on every time I left the house. Has there been another further information on how to get this Microcell to work, or is this just another dead piece of hardware I need to give away?

Dec 15, 2013 12:16 PM in response to drwoods

I've heard nothing more even though AT&T promised to return my call. It seems Apple is blaming AT&T, and they are blaming Cisco, and Cisco is blaming Apple! In the meantime, I've lost the ability to reliably connect to the AT&T microcell.

One other datapoint, if anybody from these three companies is reading, is perhaps there is a difference in the sim cards in these phones. We purchased 3 brand new iphone 5s models, but 2 were purchased from Apple, and 1 from AT&T (corporate/business account). The two from Apple are more likely to join the microcell, the one shipped directly from AT&T almost never will join the microcell in the house.

Again, the only reliable way to see the microcell is to disable LTE service, at least on the 3 phones we have.

Dec 16, 2013 2:54 PM in response to drwoods

I have the same issue. I have two iPhone 5's both will join the microcell but when making a call the person called can not understand what is said, transmission is brocken and choppy. Called AT&T an was told to disable my iPhone LTE that the Cisco 3G Microcell is not compatable with their LTE service. They have no solution other than to disable LTE on the iPhone! The real problem is not with the iphone but with the AT&T 3G MicroCell. Tech support has no idea when AT&T will have a MicroCell that works with the 4G LTE iPhones!

Dec 29, 2013 10:30 AM in response to wkga

I too have confirmed this issue. Just noticed I could make a call at our place with a microcell. I have a new 5s. Wife got my handed down 4s. Her phone connect to Mcell and shows it on the screen.

My 5s won't connect. Turned off LTE as suggested here and it immediately connects to Microcell and displays it on the screen.

Dec 29, 2013 11:28 AM in response to KiltedTim

Only about 2 dots on IOS7 with LTE. Turned off LTE and got 5 dots with M-cell, so don't think that's it. Interestingly, when I am in LTE mode and supposedly not connected to the microcell, I am not able to place a call. So I think this is more a frequency interference issue and most likely that the iphone 5s isn't properly switching bands.

Other forums suggested deactivating and re activating the Microcell through AT&T website to force a firmware upgrade. Just did that and no change...

ios7 will not work with my att microcell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.