Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 wifi "unable to join the network"

I have an iPhone 5 that I upgraded to iOS 7 on 9/18/13. My phone and wifi connections worked fine until this morning 9/21.

Now when I have tried connecting to 2 different wifi networks, my phone is giving me the message "unable to join the network." I don't know why this is happening, has anyone else had this issue?

Wifi has worked the past few days since I completed the update to iOS 7. It has shown as connected a few times today, but no data will load when this happens. I am hesitant to restore the entire phone unless I am sure it will fix the issue.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:37 PM

I ran into an issues earlier this week, try this link helped me with getting the issues resolved. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

The "Forget this network" is what helped me out.

279 replies

Sep 22, 2013 1:50 PM in response to dstark91

I'm having the same issue with my 4s and ios7. Went to the apple store today and it was able to connect using the store's WPA2 airport extreme. I am unable to connect to any other access points - WPA2 or unencrypted at three difference houses. Linksys, Asus, brand doesn't matter.

This is VERY frustrated adn a full restore didn't fixed.

Sep 22, 2013 1:59 PM in response to agh98

My home network is password protected by WEP encryption. It worked Wednesday through Friday. Was out of town and it connected at the hotel I was at from Friday until this morning. Couldn't connect to the router at my friend's house which I always connect to when I am there. Not sure what type of router or encryption that is, but this is very frustrating.

Updated: I should also note that I have been using my laptop over my home wifi connection for about the past 4 hours and have had no issues. Therefore, the network appears to be working as usual.

Sep 23, 2013 3:39 PM in response to Fan_Avril

this also did not work for me. today I did what a few other people have recommended which is to place the device in airplane mode, then reset all network settings, then reset my router. I did all of these in order, with no results. While my home network showed as connected, it did not load any data.

At this point I am thinking I will have to bring my phone into the store to have them try it.

Sep 24, 2013 8:13 PM in response to dstark91

Just found a work around until this is corrected! From settings, wifi, chose your network like always. It should come up with the failure info about setting your browser to accept cookies ( make sure under Safari, block cookies, it's checked never). Hit ok under the failure code, then hit cancel in the upper right corner. It should bring up choices at the bottom, including " use without internet". Chose that one, and it should put a blue check next to the wifi network you chose.

Now, open safari, and type in an email address, like www.google.com, and it will redirect you to the hotels site to submit your info.

Sep 27, 2013 5:21 AM in response to dstark91

I have the same problem with ipad new (3rd gen). It said "Unable to join the network". I tried reseting network adapted and router too. But it did not help. Even I opened the wifi (no password) and it still was unable to join. The problem starts just after upgrading to iOS 7. Is it possible that updating process (which takes about 6 houres for me) cased wifi adaptor hardware to fail???

Sep 27, 2013 6:28 AM in response to Fan_Avril

I have the same problem, I'm unable to connect my iPad mini to my wifi network after upgrading to ios7. I get an unable to connect error. I tried rebooting the router, forgetting the network and re-entering the password. I tried setting the proxy to Auto. I even tried renaming my network and creating a new password. Nothing. The network is working fine: I can connect my Mac Air no problem. Could it be that the router only supports WEP (not WPA) and ios7 is not supporting WEP?

Sep 28, 2013 8:00 AM in response to dstark91

Fixed it! Following all the suggested steps (Airplan mode On > Reset > Airplane mode Off > join network) didn't help with neither 4s nor ipad mini. Bizarrely the wifi has started to work again on both as soon as I tried connecting my wife’s Android phone to the network. No idea why but you might be able to get it to work by doing the reset while in airplane mode and then connecting other devices you use on the network.

Sep 29, 2013 6:18 AM in response to Alixocracy

I have confirmed that WEP or WPA is not the cause of the problem. I'm now trying to connect to a wifi network with no encryption and experiencing the same unable to join error. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread so far without success. Interestingly, my iPhone also running ios7 does not have this problem, just my ipad mini since running iOS 7. Upgrading to 7.0.2 did not help.

iOS 7 wifi "unable to join the network"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.