Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue scanning lines across display on iPhone 5s?

I have noticed on my new iPhone 5s that at various times I will get 2 blue lines moving vertically across the screen. They are about a quarter of a screen width apart and the area in between is shaded a transparent blue. Any idea what that might be? They go across she screen and when reach the edge move across in the opposite direction over and over until I change the screen/app. It's most common when starting or ending a call.

If you imagine a machine scanning the screen over and over, that's the best way I can describe what's happening.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 3:38 PM

25 replies

Sep 25, 2013 3:01 AM in response to adamrose51

I'm using the iPhone 5 and I have this issue too. I find it a coincidence at which times the blue bar chooses to scan. For example, a friend called me earlier and it started scanning when their number appeared on the screen. When the call ended, I was looking at my recent calls and it started again. I caught a screenshot and when I veiwing the photo, it scanned again, I get it do its thing and I havent seen anything since It would also scan while I am on Facebook, etc. Excuse me if I sound paranoid but I also feel this may have something to do with the police

Sep 24, 2013 7:30 AM in response to adamrose51

I have this exact same problem. I have had nothing but trouble with ios 7. If i wake the phone from sleep but don't unlock it, the screen will not turn off until i press the lock button again. I also get these blue scanning lines all of the time. Its really annoying... Also, apps are crashing constantly, especially if I try to switch into the emoji keyboard. This is ridiculous. Tried restoring the phone and it didnt do a thing... Did you find a solution?

Sep 24, 2013 7:39 AM in response to adamrose51

How did you "restore the whole phone"?

If you simply did a restore from a back up, you didn't reinstall iOS 7. If you opened iTunes 11.1 and clicked Restore next to Check for Updates on the Summary page for your iPhone, then you did reinstall iOS 7 as this will download it and reinstall it.

My iPhone 5s is not experiencing any blue lines or any other similar issues.

Sep 24, 2013 8:02 AM in response to TiAg3er1

I rang Apple in the end and they asked me to trey some things.

When I restored my phone I restored it to the backups I'd already created and the problem still persisted. Apple wanted to establish if it was a hardware or software fault.

They asked me to restore the phone, then setup as a new phone rather then from my backup. I now dont have the problem with the blue lines (mine was also crashing erratically again like you said yours is)

Apple beleieve something was corrupt within my backup and there was no way to fix it. I had to just backup what I could (contacts should be in iCloud etc) and with my photos i downloaded them to iphoto on my Mac. On a PC you'd have to transfer them somewhere else.

Just make sure anything important is saved either to get them automatically redownloaded from iCloud or somewhere else. You cannot use the whole phone backup or the problem may return.

I then restored my phone to brand new settings. Lost all my old messages etc but this was the only way of fixing it they said. You can then re download your apps and music etc through itunes. Took a couple of hours, and to be hpnest my phone did need a good sorting out so wasn't too bad a thing! Loads more memory now as well!

Hope that helps.

FYI This is what was happening to my phone... THe blue band would move from side to side across the screen...

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2013 5:43 PM in response to adamrose51

I bought the iphone 5c a week ago because the home button on my 2.5 year old iphone 4 stopped working. I brought the phone back to Verizon due to the blue scanning lines going back and forth on the screen periodically. They said they had never seen this happen before and gave me a new phone.

When I got home and synched it with my itunes, it happened again. I restored the backup, etc. but still had the problem. I then called Apple support, they hadn't heard of it, but got it to stop by doing a home/shutdown button reboot.

When I got off the phone with Apple, it started all over again when I was re-arranging my app icons. After reading these posts, I remembered that Verizon turned on some accessibility functions when my ipohne 4 home button wouldn't work and that these settings must have carried over when I synched the new phone with itunes.

I just turned off all of the accessiblity functions, rebooted by hitting the home and shutdown button simulaneously and for now it's not happening anymore.

I am thankful for these boards and the tip on turning off the accessibility function.

Nov 23, 2013 11:50 AM in response to adamrose51

There is something wrong with the way iOS7 creates/restores backups. Apple can blame things on corrupt data in the backups all they want. I'm not buying it and setting up the phone as new is not a (reasonable) solution. I had to go through it myself when I bought the 5S because even though the backup of my old phone (4S) restored fine, cellular data wouldn't work on the new one. In my case Apple also said that my backup must have been corrupt. I created backups using iTunes and iCloud. Restoring neither backup would make cellular data work. The only option was to set it up as new. Great. I lost over 5 years-worth of SMS messages, all application data and all the pre-iCloud notes that had been stored on the old phone which is pretty unacceptable. I found an application called iCopyTrans which allowed me to pull notes from the old phone and upload them to iCloud so the 5S sync-ed them from iCloud. iCopyTrans also allowed me to save my SMS history as files (choices are RTF, HTML and TXT format). There is no way to re-import them to the 5S but at least I can look for info in my old SMS messages since I keep the files on my computers and in the cloud. Unfortunately application data including game progress, etc.. is gone for good.

Apple really needs to develop a better way of backing up i-devices where data can be restored selectively instead of the current "all or nothing" approach. They should also simplify the process. There should be absolutely no need for the three different options ("Backup", "Sync" and "Transfer Purchases"). It's confusing.

My new phone (5S) is flakey. The other day it decided that my phone is disabled and had a message on the screen saying that I should try accessing it again in 1 minute. When it started working again, I didn't get any SMS or iMessages and some of my email notiifcations weren't popping up. I missed some time sensitive messages because I didn't realize there was an issue until a day later. That's when I rebooted the phone and all messages finally came through after that. Occasionally the phone also displays a horizontal line across the screen. Rebooting it fixes the problem but having to do that all the time is annoying.

I've been a fan of the iPhone since its first release (currently on my 4th one) and I'm also a loyal Apple customer for years but I don't think I'll be buying another iPhone in the future. My main reason for sticking with Apple phones for this long is that I was always able to painlessly transfer all of my data from an old device to a new one. Since that's no longer the case, I'm open to trying other options.

Nov 24, 2013 7:43 PM in response to adamrose51

I am having the same issues as most of you. Backed up my 5 to icloud and when I set up the 5s. I started having the same issues about 3 weeks into using the 5s. I went to the apple store and they said they have never seen the issue before. The one told me that the update would fix it- it did not. I went to the apple store again since it was still happening. I was given a new phone. Went home, restored everything. And a day later it happened again. It happens most of the time when I am texting, especially when I go to send a picture in the text. I will press the camera button, and it will go very slow, then my camera roll will pop up and Ill tap the photo I want, and with a very delayed response the blue line will "scan" the phone for about 30 seconds, and then the image I selected will finally pop up and I can send. It also happens in apps, on phone calls etc. I get delayed texts, super late voicemails also. It is not something that comes and goes - it is permanent. And not to mention very annoying and frustrating. Like many I am an apple fan for years before the phones came out and have had every phone. Now I am told I have to completely restore and set up as new. Really not what I want to do but it is looking like it is the only thing to fix the issue. I really could care less about setting up the apps and adding email accounts, all I really care about is my photos since I have over 8k in the camera roll. I continue to look for software to "re-import" them into the camera roll - not a album.

Last night I decided to back up to icloud and try to restore my iPhone and re-install the back up. I have tried the app drop2roll and it works - but it takes a lot of time, and can only do 50-60 photos at a time... so a very long fix. BUT my issue is when the photos where imported back into the camera roll- they are totally unorganized. They do not flow with the date they were taken, year or month etc. It’s basically a jumble of photos.

If anyone knows how to bring over the photos and bring them back so they are the same exact way – that would be perfect – until then I will keep telling myself I need to switch to the note 3.

Blue scanning lines across display on iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.