Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after installing i0s 7 siri doesn't talk

Installed i0S7 on iphone 5. When I hold down the home key and talk to Siri, (I put it on the male voice) it doesn't respond anymore. It just opens and shows a list of "some things you can ask me." SO I've even tried to ask Siri some of the things I can ask, and it no longer responds.

Is there a setting somewhere to actually activate the VOICE for Siri? It worked fine before the new install.

Thanks

PJ

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 4:54 PM

23 replies

Sep 25, 2013 12:41 PM in response to mario49

Thank you for that link. I went through each point and made sure it is all correctly set. Siri still doesn't work. Very odd. It worked before OS7. What it does now is just show me a list of what I can ask Siri. Gosh, if it worked before, certainly it must be a setting somewhere.

I HOPE that OS7 has not deleted Siri???? I heard the new iPhones have omitted Siri? So would the same 0S7 also omit Siri when installed on iPhone 5 -- not new iPhone but just 5. ???

Sep 25, 2013 10:01 PM in response to Pamela Kinann

Well, I'm so hoping eventually this will be resolved. I've gone through troubleshooting Siri here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4079.

I'd like to list a few settings that I have and some things I checked to see if there isn't some little thing that is not quite right. Kind of frustrating because Siri worked fine BEFORE I installed OS7. And my son and son-in-law both have updated and their Siri works. So none of us can figure out why mine doesn't.

Under settings > Privacy > Microphone > Applications that have requested access to the microphone will appear here. I have none that have accessed the microphone.

I can make calls. People hear me; I can hear them. My music plays.

Does Siri use a DIFFERENT speaker???

Under Privacy > Locations Services, Siri has a gray arrow: A gray location servicds icon will appear next to an item that has used your location within the last 24 hours. Apparently Siri is using my location because there IS a gray arrow, but Siri still doesn't respond.

The line, wave sound, whatever that is called when you talk to Siri is "flat." When family talks to Siri, and when I used to talk to Siri, the line was wavy when I spoke. My Siri has flatlined! It just shows me things I CAN ask Siri. Even if I choose to ask those specific questions, Siri does not respond.

Under Settings > Privacy > location services are on, and under that is Contacts, calendars, reminders, photos, bluetooth sharing, microphone. Says in "location services" settings, turn on BOTH "location servies," and "reminders." Mine does not show "reminders." However, under Settings > Notification Services > I DO have "reminders" turned ON.

THen I found this: Verify that both the mic in the receiver opening and the mic near the rear camera are not blocked. How do I verify this?? Nothing has changed since the OS7 install. My camera works, front and back.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything else to do in order to get Siri working AGAIN.

I hope that with the added information I gave you, MAYBE, just MAYBE you may find something that is amiss. I miss my Siri! Wah!

And if the mic was no good, then I couldn't speak into the phone and have someone else hear me, right? Or does Siri have her own mic???

Just to reiterate, in order to keep this in mind: Siri was working before the OS7 install. I changed nothing. Just installed the new OS update.

Could there be some conflict with my iphone 5 and OS7??? It's not a new iphone 5s or whatever they are; it's just iphone 5.

Also, I RESTORED my phone too thinking that would spark something. Didn't.

Thanks for ANY possible suggestions to continue the SEARCH for Siri on my iphone.

Oct 6, 2013 8:53 PM in response to polofson

Had to swap out my phone. It had major issues. However, now Siri only works on WIFI, doesn't work on 4G network. I know THAT isn't right because Siri works on my husbands iphone 5 when he is on the 4G network. So Monday I'm calling Apple again, and if I find out anything about OS7 and Siri, I'll let you know. I think it has something to do with OS7 which is causing Siri to malfunction in various ways depending on each person's phone.

Oct 10, 2013 12:33 AM in response to Jason Andrews

Well, I'm not on AT&T, so my issue is probably different than yours. However, what I did was call the store where I purchased my H20 service. They immediately knew what the problem was. They had me just download APN at unlockit.co.nz, put in my phone number, and immediately everything worked perfectly on 4G and on WIFI too -- even Siri. Apparently it's a website that sets up your Mobile Carrier for Data Access. It does not jailbreak or carrier unlock iphones.

Oct 11, 2013 4:25 PM in response to Shanep92

When I downloaded the app at unlockit.co.nz, it shows a dropdown menu with numerous cell services, and Sprite MIGHT be on there. I just looked on the menu until I found the H20.

But I mainly used it because I was unable to use Siri AWAY from a WIFI. It worked as long as I was on WIFI, but as soon as I got on the 4G network, no Siri, no mail, no internet, no nothing. The app solved my problem totally.

Dec 13, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Pamela Kinann

Took my Iphone 5 to the apple store after trying several things. They tried everything and Seri still would not work. They then reset it to original factory setting. Still did not work. They said that it has to be a hardware problem and that the phone had to be replaced. I told them that it worked on OS6 and stopped working just after I upgraded the software to OS7 (never left my desk). I asked them th restore it to OS6. He said that that cannot be done. Asked when I got it (Oct 2012). Told me it was out of warranty and wanted $270 to replace it. To fix a software problem... I don't think so......

Mar 22, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Pamela Kinann

Siri stopped working. Tried all the remedies, including restore "as new". Still no Siri. My other iPhone, with the same settings, on the same network, in my other hand, works fine. After many calls to "My Apple", have an appointment with a Genius Bar tonight. But all I am hoping for is a new phone. Still under warranty. Seems odd that a hardware failure could kill Siri and leave everything else okay. But something is screwed up in this phone and four techs at Apple can't figure it out.

Mar 23, 2014 9:51 AM in response to Jack13126

Took it to the Apple Store. They confirmed the fault, and set me up with a new 5c. As soon as it was rtegistered, we tested Siri. Same problem, right out of the sealed box. The Genius was stumped. We tried all the 5cs on the store floor, and they worked fine. The Genius opened ANOTHER 5c and tested Siri. It worked. We set it up for, and it worked. I brought it home and updated it to iOS 7.1 and it worked. I restored my backup and it still works. For now.

Apr 16, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Pamela Kinann

I believe I found the solution, for I was having this problem also. I googled the issue, and that at least showed me where the settings were for Siri. To activate Siri's voice, go to Settings - General - Siri. Make sure Siri is enabled (green showing), and scroll down to "Voice Feedback." The default is "Hands free only." Change it to "Always."

Siri was now audible. Let me know if that works for you all!

Renee Michelle

after installing i0s 7 siri doesn't talk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.