Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 using up cellular data instead of available wifi?

First some background information; Yesterday 9/23/13 around 11am, I upgraded from an iPhone 4s running the most recent version of iOS 6 to an iPhone 5s Running iOS7. Sometime Yesterday afternoon I was prompted to upgrade to iOS 7.0.1 which I did immediately. I am an iCloud user and an iTunes Match subscriber. After upgrading to iOS 7.0.1 I began the process of restoring my new iPhone 5s from a backup. In addition to using iCloud back up, I had also created a back up on my MBP that morning. I decided to restore from the backup on my MBP as it is often faster than restoring from the cloud. After restoring all of the applications I went into my music app to begin downloading music to the phone through the iTunes Match service. I selected several playlists and began downloading all of the songs in those lists at which point I plugged my phone in to charge on the beside table and went to sleep. I have a fully functional 2.5 GHz wifi network in my house and am 99% certain I was connected to the network throughout this process (since I was asleep i cant be 100% certain). This morning I received an alert that I was approaching the limit of my 2GB cellular data plan. Upon further investigation I determined that not only was I approaching the limit, but that since my data plan had reset upon upgrading my phone, ALL OF THE DATA HAD BEEN USED LAST NIGHT! Considering I was not on my phone out of the house and I have wifi in the house, you can understand my confusion. Also any normal browsing or even video streaming would have a hard time generating the amount of data usage that I experienced last night. On top of that, when I went to look at my account details, it appears that 80% of the huge amount of data occurred from 12am to 1am this morning (9/24/13), at which time I was sound asleep with my phone charging on the beside table. When I investigated further on my phone in Settings > Cellular under "Use Cellular Data For:" I discovered that 98% of the Data usage was due to the Music App. Why did the music app deem it necessary to use cellular data to download all of the music from iTunes match when there was a perfectly good wifi network available? I have used this service before and never had any issues like this. AT&T has informed me that I must turn of "Use Cellular Data" in my settings to prevent this but I have never had this issue before. Also I would like to use iTunes Radio (as a Match subscriber I am very excited about this feature). But if I turn of cellular data it turns it off for everything and I will not be able to stream iTunes Radio in my car (which doesn't use that much data). I don't mind turning off cellular data for Automatic downloads and iTunes Match, but there is only one on/off switch. I either turn it off and can't enjoy iTunes Radio, or I leave it on and let my phone randomly decide to forego my free unlimited wifi data, for my limited cellular data plan and get slapped with huge overage fees. This is unacceptable and needs to be resolved quickly. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding my usage, setup, hardware, or the situation in general. I would be more than happy to help in anyway that leads to a timely resolution. Is anyone else having this or similar issues with devices using Cellular Data over available wifi? Has anyone heard from Apple or gotten a solution?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 12:57 PM

25 replies

Sep 26, 2013 4:48 AM in response to CptnApple

I'm noticing a large increase in my cellular data usage with iOS 7.

I closely monitor my data usage because my family plan shares 6GB with 3 iPhones.

Normally we only use about 5GB of data a month but this month I'm on pace to use 8GB.

I'm trying to monitor my cellular usage within the settings app of iOS 7 and it seems that Safari and Tweetbot the apps I probably use the most are using a great deal of cellular data even though I haven't changed my usage that much. I do use the apps while on Cellular but according to the tracking I've used over 300mb of data in just a couple days with only those two apps.

Sep 30, 2013 3:06 PM in response to CptnApple

Yes, I had this exact problem. I was at home, on wifi, and even though settings | iTunes & App Store | Use Cellular Data was off, it still downloaded several albums I'd requested from match over cellular data. Then, overnight, I start getting warnings from AT&T that I'm using (then, later, exceeding) my data allotment. I confirmed it was the music app the next morning in Settings | Cellular, and turned off Music in that menu.

I then called AT&T and growsed about it, and they agreed to credit my account, but I hope this gets fixed (if it hasn't already... I haven't tried to reproduce on 7.0.2).

Oct 1, 2013 9:18 AM in response to CptnApple

Last night I reset my cellular statistic. My phone has since been on WiFi; however, my phone this morning has used 626KB of cellular data. Since I've been in WiFi all night/morning, I don't understand why any cellular data was used.

Exchange 410kb

Voicemail 121kb

Push notifications 88.3kb

DNS Services 7.4kb

Total 626kb overnight while on WiFi.

My data usage for the month - just 10 days in is nearly 2gb!

Something is wrong with ios7.

Oct 18, 2013 9:33 PM in response to CptnApple

There is something Definitely wrong with iOS 7 regarding DATA USAGE being logged to wireless carrier in for WIFI instead.

I read all the previous replies and same issue.

I rarely use my mac to sync....its all wifi sync for the last 2 years....never had this issue before... and i know it began with iOS7.... here is why....

My iPhone was at home when I updated to iOS7 connected to wifi...but it logged Data Usage to Rogers Wireless (700MB approx)...data will never do an update over 50mb in app store (it gives the warning to use wifi) I play a lot of games and pay for them so I always update through App Store. 2 weeks later, simposons halloween update (650mb)...at home, using wifi.

Rogers told me there was 700+mb data usage on the day of update and 650+mb data on oct 1.st (tapped out).

Went over my 6GB plan and paid the fees.

This has never happened before...It must come to apples attention by now...

Oct 21, 2013 6:11 PM in response to CptnApple

I have the same problem, but with email application. Download 5,8GB through cellular data. I can see this in Settings->Cellular data, data consumption.

When I shutoff cellular data and activate wifi connection, download stop. If I activate cellular data the download start again.

The mail usage in the Settings->General->Usage tab is only 583 Mb

I don't understand what's happen.

Nov 2, 2013 10:31 PM in response to JOANRUIZ

I just had an experience similar too this. Got a warning from Verizon that my wife's brand new 5c (iOS 7) racked up 1.4GB of cellular data in 2-3 days! I looked at Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data For: and saw that Mail app was the culprit. This is a Google account with almost no activity I just set up on her phone. What could be causing this? I looked at the detailed activity on Verizons web site and saw this:

Data usage:

12:15 AM 243.09MB

6:15 PM 186.98MB

...over and over like clock work. Same times of day but different data amounts. Even if Mail was udating in the background why would it be such large amounts and exactly at the same times of day? She has not even used email.

My new 5s on the same account with a Google and Exchange Mail account has not done this. Anybody have any ideas??

Nov 10, 2013 7:24 PM in response to CptnApple

Hi. I have 5 GB of data and have never gone over in 2 years. Now I am very close with 10 days to go. I have turned everything off as I checked the support community first and now I have a phone that can text and call. My son and I both have a 4s, and both have the same problem, even though we have different providers. Data seems to be used even when I am asleep, up to 240 mb per night. I do not backup on the cloud. Because it is happening with different providers I am convinced it is an IOS 7 issue. Will there be a fix?

Dec 1, 2013 9:08 PM in response to hooskerdoo

In settings on your wife's iPhone, you can control which apps are allowed use data. You can also turn of data here is how:

1. Open Settings.

2. Click on "Cellular". After you click on this there should be a option to turn off cellular data. DO NOT CLICK ON IT YET.

3. Scroll down to "Use Cellular Data For" and click on each individual thing YOU DO NOT want use cellular data for. If it is GREEN that means that that app IS ENABLED to use cellular data. If it is WHITE OR GREY YOU MAY NOT USE IT for cellular data.

4. Now scroll back to the top and turn off your cellular data. Then hit the arrow button at the top and scroll to "bluetooth" and disable this option. Now go back to the main screen and enable your wifi this allow to use wifi over your cellular network at anytime but make sure you disable cellular and bluetooth capabilities. This should work with; VERIZON and AT&T.

Jan 4, 2014 3:59 AM in response to CptnApple

I spent over an our on the phone with Verizon last night, spoke to several people then was transferred to an Apple rep, then transferred back to Verizon. I have the same issue on my ipad and my wife's new iPhone 5c. Verizon and Apple both acted like they have never heard of this issue before and the only advice was to turn off cell data. I understand that this is a solution to the problem but such a pain to do this every time I connect to wifi. This shouldn't be necessary. It should just default to wifi and stay on wifi when in range.

Wishing I would have bought my wife the S4 instead.

Feb 13, 2014 12:19 PM in response to CptnApple

Well Folks, I'm no iOS7 expert, but if you go to ATT or verizon users sites, you will see that this problem has been happening for MUCH longer than iOS7 has been in existence....on my wife's 5c running iOS7, she is always on WIFI and at 1:53 AM every night for the past 7 nights, her phone DLd several hundred KB every night. The WiFi is fine, we use it 24/7 she has never even USED safari, browsing, etc..... The ATT threads say that this time of night ATT DLs its own data from the phone, and several ppl seem to think it is using cellular data because the phone hibernated. ATT's answer ? oh there must be something wrong with your WiFi.

yes its true you can turn off cellular every night, or try to figure out which apps are running up your phone bill ? but why should you have to do this if the phone went to bed on a WiFi network ?

this makes zero sense. incidentally, the ATT threads say that verizon had the problem and fixed it.

I dont know about this one. .. would appreciate any information anyone has....

iOS 7 using up cellular data instead of available wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.