Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation in iOS 7 barely works

I guess it's possible that this is another Apple-Server issue, but it seems way worse than it ever has been in the past.

I would say that about 80% of the time that I use dictation, the wheel just spins and spins...and then times-out

If I keep trying to get it to work, it eventually will....for a little while...and then it will fail again.

Apple, can you tell me what is going on and how it can be fixed?

Thanks so much...

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 6:57 PM

52 replies

Sep 25, 2013 6:58 PM in response to mangoesbananas

Mine is better than before.

Try a Restart.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting your settings

You can also try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered. You won't lose any data, but it takes time to enter all of the settings again.

Resetting your device

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends this only if you are unable to restart it.

Or if this doesn't work and nobody else on the blog doesn't have a better idea you can contact Apple.

Here is a link to their contacts with most of the information below.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

Sep 25, 2013 7:07 PM in response to Gus2259

Thanks for writing back so quickly. Yes, I would agree that when the iOS dictation works, it works better than it ever did. The problem for me is that it rarely works. I have already tried everything you've suggested, and when I go to the support link you provided, I don't see anything for iOS support, and I don't feel right about Apple for support for their operating system. Might you know of any other avenues available?

Sep 25, 2013 7:21 PM in response to mangoesbananas

Sorry but no. I've gone back into the settings app but most of voice related controls is for material being read to you. Siri has basically voice type and language selections. I was hoping the resets would get something internal that we don't control to reset and function properly. I've read the voice control " learns" from you the more you use it. I don't know if that's true. I have seen like you have a slow response from dictation a couple of times. I also blame that on servers. Fortunately it only happened a couple of times yesterday. Before and after that I have been very impressed with the improvement. It was vastly better than the iOS 6 version. It even worked with my "Southern" accent. Hopefully someone else may have better ideas than mine. Good luck and I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find something. I really think its in the servers so hopefully it will clear up for you.

Sep 26, 2013 9:12 AM in response to mangoesbananas

I know this sounds bizarre, but I just found that if I turn off "bold text" in the Accessibility settings, dictation seems to work a whole lot better. This, of course, doesn't make any sense, but it is what I'm experiencing right now. It's not a 100% fix, because the dictation still stalls on occasion, but it stalls a WHOLE lot less than it did when I had "bold text" enabled. I've tested this several times by turning "bold text" on and off, and it definitely seems to improve the dictation by leaving "bold text" turned off! I'm wondering if anyone else experiencing problems with dictation has "bold text" enabled in the Accessibility settings?

Sep 26, 2013 9:39 AM in response to mangoesbananas

Sorry but I turned mine on bold text the first day that I downloaded it which was the first day the software came out. I did notice something however and riding this response. Once you dictate the text and push done do you leave your keyboard still up ready to continue typing? I found if I close the keyboard while it's waiting to post what I dictated that slowed way down.

Sep 26, 2013 10:26 AM in response to Gus2259

If you close the keyboard while waiting for the dictation to post what you've just spoken, the dictation will turn off. That's not a glitch...that's how it's supposed to work.

The problem that I'm having is that the dication is not posting most of the time....the wheel just sits there spinning. And, for whatever reason, I found that by turning off "bold text" in the Accessibility settings, the dictation works better. It doesn't fix it fully...but it is better.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'd, of course, like to be able to use "bold text", so I'm hoping Apple will sort out this situation ASAP!!

Sep 30, 2013 3:12 PM in response to J MAZ

Yes, that's what I'm experiencing too. It only works about 50% of the time. And, by the way, when I previously thought that switching iOS 7 to "bold text" made it worse, it was just a fluke at the time. It's equally as bad whether or not I've got iOS 7 set to "bold text" or not. Could someone from Apple Support please let us know that you're aware of the problem?

Sep 30, 2013 4:08 PM in response to mangoesbananas

iOS 7 completely messed up my Siri dictation on my iPhone 5 making the dictation nearly useless.

Before switching to iOS 7 it had been nearly flawless since 2011 whenever it came out with my AT&T iPhone 4s & AT&T iPhone 5.

Now I have the AT&T iphone 5s still having same problem I even tried erasing iPhone and starting over as a new iPhone 5s same problem. please fix this.it is extremely frustrating have something so perfect destroyed. and I'm not alone my friends are having the same issue

Oct 1, 2013 4:20 PM in response to patmacpro

I agree. Dictation is totally messed up since the upgrade. I have tried all the resets and reset my modem router et Cetera. No such luck. Now I am finding that if I speak in release short bursts it helps. But why should I have to dictate just short little sentences? It seems to me there's something definitely wrong on apple's and. Hope they figure it out soon, because this is drastically reducing the usefulness of all my Apple devices.

Oct 1, 2013 5:25 PM in response to mary lee in AZ

MARY LEE IN AZ, when you tried the various resets, did you try resetting your network settings on your device? I did that yesterday, and it's been working a lot better since then. Not perfect, by any means, but at least better. It's probably just a coincidence, as I too agree that this is really all about Apple's servers. Let's hope someone from Apple will chime in and let us know...

Dictation in iOS 7 barely works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.