Skip navigation

Dictation in iOS 7 barely works

7518 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2014 1:57 PM by Lance Mcvickar RSS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
mangoesbananas Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 25, 2013 6:57 PM

I guess it's possible that this is another Apple-Server issue, but it seems way worse than it ever has been in the past.

I would say that about 80% of the time that I use dictation, the wheel just spins and spins...and then times-out

If I keep trying to get it to work, it eventually will....for a little while...and then it will fail again.

Apple, can you tell me what is going on and how it can be fixed?

Thanks so much...

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7
  • Gus2259 Level 4 Level 4 (1,230 points)
    Sep 25, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to mangoesbananas)

Mine is better than before.

Try a Restart.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting your settings

You can also try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered. You won't lose any data, but it takes time to enter all of the settings again.

Resetting your device

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends this only if you are unable to restart it.

Or if this doesn't work and nobody else on the blog doesn't have a better idea you can contact Apple.

Here is a link to their contacts with most of the information below.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

Sep 25, 2013 7:21 PM (in response to mangoesbananas)

Sorry but no. I've gone back into the settings app but most of voice related controls is for material being read to you. Siri has basically voice type and language selections. I was hoping the resets would get something internal that we don't control to reset and function properly. I've read the voice control " learns" from you the more you use it. I don't know if that's true. I have seen like you have a slow response from dictation a couple of times. I also blame that on servers. Fortunately it only happened a couple of times yesterday. Before and after that I have been very impressed with the improvement. It was vastly better than the iOS 6 version. It even worked with my "Southern" accent. Hopefully someone else may have better ideas than mine. Good luck and I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find something. I really think its in the servers so hopefully it will clear up for you.

Sep 26, 2013 9:39 AM (in response to mangoesbananas)

Sorry but I turned mine on bold text the first day that I downloaded it which was the first day the software came out. I did notice something however and riding this response. Once you dictate the text and push done do you leave your keyboard still up ready to continue typing? I found if I close the keyboard while it's  waiting to post what I dictated that slowed way down.

Sep 26, 2013 9:40 AM (in response to Gus2259)

Sorry that was supposed to read"typing this response". I never could type well.

• tangentially Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 26, 2013 5:23 PM (in response to mangoesbananas)

For me it is definitely worse. It takes longer, I sometimes have the wheel problem and where it was always very accurate for me I'd say that now I am lucky to get half of the words correct. I haven't upgraded any portion of my vocal system, so I am attributing it to ios 7.

• J MAZ Level 3 Level 3 (820 points)
    Sep 30, 2013 2:41 PM (in response to tangentially)

For me it is worse too. By leaps and bounds. I'd say it works about 50% of the time.

Frustrating!!

• patmacpro Calculating status...
    Sep 30, 2013 4:08 PM (in response to mangoesbananas)

iOS 7 completely messed up my Siri dictation on my iPhone 5 making the dictation nearly useless.

Before switching to iOS 7 it had been nearly flawless since 2011 whenever it came out with my AT&T  iPhone 4s  & AT&T iPhone 5.

Now I have the AT&T iphone 5s still having same problem I even tried erasing iPhone and starting over as a new iPhone 5s same problem. please fix this.it is extremely frustrating have something so perfect destroyed. and I'm not alone my friends are having the same issue

• mary lee in AZ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 1, 2013 4:20 PM (in response to patmacpro)

I agree. Dictation is totally messed up since the upgrade. I have tried all the resets and reset my modem router  et Cetera. No such luck. Now I am finding that if I speak in release short bursts it helps. But why should I have to   dictate just short little sentences? It seems to me there's something definitely wrong on apple's and. Hope they figure it out soon, because this is drastically reducing the usefulness of all my Apple devices.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.