Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have extra songs in my iPhone playlist that are not on my iTunes library?

After doing the iOS7 update (and iOS7.0.2) I decided to add my music to my phone (I never had music on it before).

I discovered that there were 20 very random and obscure broadway songs that were on my iPhone in addition to the 60 songs I just synced. They had the iCloud icon by them, unlike the songs I had just added.

After doing research I found that the broadway songs were technically "purchased" on iTunes although they are not songs I would have ever purchased- in fact I have never once purchased anything on iTunes. This isn't my worry though, I am assuming it must have been some random free download I did at some point?

I went to settings > music > and turned show all music off. This did NOT work for all of them and only solved the problem 80%. There are still 4 of the random song on my iPhone. They DO NOT show up in my iTunes library on my computer and don't even exist on my computer.

With the other songs I can left swip and delete but these 4 songs won't! Why won't these four songs left swipe?

I am going crazy and have tried restarting my phone, restarting iTunes, re-syncing, turning off the iCloud. NOTHING WORKS.

Please help. I am a normally a very smart and tech-savvy person and I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I don't want to wipe everything- which as a solution is a pretty weak solution.

Why won't certain songs left swipe to delete off my phone when I am in the music app?

Why do I have extra songs on my phone that don't appear on iTunes on my computer?

Where did these songs come from and how do I get rid of them?

Much thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2, Music

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:56 AM

I had the same problem. Tried restoring the phone multiple times, each time set the phone up a different way. So I called apple and the manager of apple care told me I was doing something wrong because he never have heard of this. He told me to turn off show all music and turn off iTunes Match and they were off! He kept saying It was my fault, but me majoring in I.T. I knew it was a glitch. Finally I decided to just disregard apple and try to get this fixed my self. Know what you have been waiting for is the answer to this fix. All you have to do is go to settings-iTunes and App Store and and from there sign out. Look for those songs that you can't deleted on the phone. They will be gone! Then sign back in and you won't have the problem again unless you do any rest(like "network rests" under settings) then you have to repeat the step. And if so some odd reason they download again just repeat. But don't worry you shouldn't run into that problem ever again! I'm hoping that apple will fix this glitch!

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 9:56 AM in response to hilnova

I had the same problem. Tried restoring the phone multiple times, each time set the phone up a different way. So I called apple and the manager of apple care told me I was doing something wrong because he never have heard of this. He told me to turn off show all music and turn off iTunes Match and they were off! He kept saying It was my fault, but me majoring in I.T. I knew it was a glitch. Finally I decided to just disregard apple and try to get this fixed my self. Know what you have been waiting for is the answer to this fix. All you have to do is go to settings-iTunes and App Store and and from there sign out. Look for those songs that you can't deleted on the phone. They will be gone! Then sign back in and you won't have the problem again unless you do any rest(like "network rests" under settings) then you have to repeat the step. And if so some odd reason they download again just repeat. But don't worry you shouldn't run into that problem ever again! I'm hoping that apple will fix this glitch!

Sep 28, 2013 8:42 PM in response to hilnova

I have this exact same problem. It's very infuriating. I'm pretty sure these songs are coming from your iCloud. They should be songs that you previously purchased or downloaded on your iTunes account. To get rid of them, go to Settings->iTunes & App Store. Then click on your Apple ID and sign out. The extra songs should be gone. You can then sign back in and the songs should still be gone. However, they are still liable to come back. In my case, they were added whenever I told Siri to "Shuffle all songs" I guess I'll be holding off on that feature until this is fixed.

Oct 3, 2013 12:18 AM in response to hilnova

I had the exact same issue!! Seriously p*ssed me off when I checked out my ITunes purchased items (via my computer) and noticed that most of the additional tracks listed on my IPhone playlist was listed there too. However, I never authorized any purchases!! (I have actually written Apple Support asking for a full refund of all tracks listed on my purchased list)

Be careful when you swipe your finger to the left/right on those "additional" tracks on your IPhone playlist... I'm pretty sure that the cloud symbol is an option to download or automatically buy those tracks.

Solution for the problem:

1 - go to your IPhone settings

2 - choose "iTunes & App Store"

3 - go to "Show All" & "Music"

4 - turn off "Music" by moving the bar to the left (it should be a white color once you turn it off)

Should solve your problem :~)

Jan 2, 2014 1:49 PM in response to rajaram101

I have been vexed by this problem for months. The most annoying part is that I downloaded a set of "Scary sounds" to play on halloween night. I have been "haunted" by these sounds since halloween, in spite of having deleted these sounds from my library. This solution finally got rid of them. Oddly, I still don't undertand why the "show all music" feature would ever be useful, and it is totally mis named.

Feb 7, 2014 9:46 AM in response to hilnova

Not sure if this will help, but I went into iTunes on my computer and hid the purchases I didn't want playing.

There was a ton of music I know I didn't purchase that needed hiding... No idea where they came from.

Anyway... iTunes > iTunes Store > Purchased ... There should be an "x" in the corner of each album. Click to hide.

No need to change settings, log out, or reboot your phone.

Why do I have extra songs in my iPhone playlist that are not on my iTunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.