Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

loose hinge, loose hinge

I have a brand new mid-13 BMA and suffering from what seems to be a loose hinge issue. When the screen is tilted to eye level it simply falls back to its furthest possible position. To make matters worse, due to no camera drivers for Skype or Cisco WebEx, i now have to hold the screen in my left hand while conferencing. I was a proud owner for almost 3 years of an MBA and never had a single issue. Sad to day but I just might dump this and go back.

Is anyone else seeing the same? I fear having to venture back to my local Apple Store to deal with a 20 something "expert"... thx

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:06 PM

4 replies

Sep 28, 2013 2:51 PM in response to jmcinnis1966

FIRST the Skype issue:

See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306216?tstart=0

FIX:

1. 1. You need Time Machine
  2. 2. Go to folder /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/
  3. 3. Copy AppleCamera.plugin to good place (usb memory stick is the best place).
  4. 4. Go to Time machine in date that skype work fine.
  5. 5. Change AppleCamera.plugin with file from Time Machine
  6. 6. Restart system, Now skype need to work with camera.

From Apple:

MacBook Air (Mid 2013): FaceTime HD Camera might not work after OS X 10.8.5 update

SECOND THE HINGE:

jmcinnis1966

When the screen is tilted to eye level it simply falls back to its furthest possible position

What you said doesnt describe anything....."eye level" can mean anything.........what do you imply by "furthest possible position"

describe screen to base in rough degrees........ this L would be of course 90 degrees.......... THIS < would be about 40degrees

As per Apple:

Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.

• Unable to close lid completely.
  • Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.
  • More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.
  • Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)

END from Apple.com

Due to the thin nature of the LCD backlit LED monitor on the Air, you would NOT WANT a very tight hinge.

Why? Excessive hinge resistance would cause the screen to BOW (and possibly crack), especially on a longer fulcrum from the hinge in the case of the 13" screen...... Ergo it is designed logically to be “looser than” a traditional macbook Pro's hinges for a very good reason.

Friction Hinge: A device with torque between two parts on a common axis.

A friction hinge is also commonly known as a:
Constant Torque Hinge, Position Hinge, Clutch, Torque Hinge, or Detent Hinge.

Common Applications include:
Laptop computers; lids, doors and enclosures; positioning device for controls, monitors, arms, seat rests

loose hinge, loose hinge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.