4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2013 2:51 PM by PlotinusVeritas
jmcinnis1966 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a brand new mid-13 BMA and suffering from what seems to be a loose hinge issue. When the screen is tilted to eye level it simply falls back to its furthest possible position. To make matters worse, due to no camera drivers for Skype or Cisco WebEx, i now have to hold the screen in my left hand while conferencing. I was a proud owner for almost 3 years of an MBA and never had a single issue. Sad to day but I just might dump this and go back.

Is anyone else seeing the same? I fear having to venture back to my local Apple Store to deal with a 20 something "expert"... thx

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (95,950 points)

Brand new...   have you had the MB Air less than 14 days?

If so, you're entitled to an exchange or refund.

If it's beyond 14 days, it's definitely still covered under the one year limited warranty.

Try the Genius Bar. If you're not satisfied, ask to speak to the store manager.

• jmcinnis1966 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

thx Do you know if this is a common issue on the new MBA's?

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (95,950 points)

Not to my knowledge.

Sounds like a defect.

• PlotinusVeritas Level 6 Level 6 (14,705 points)

FIRST the Skype issue:

See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306216?tstart=0

FIX:

1. 1. You need Time Machine
    2. 2. Go to folder /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/
    3. 3. Copy AppleCamera.plugin to good place (usb memory stick is the best place).
    4. 4. Go to Time machine in date that skype work fine.
    5. 5. Change AppleCamera.plugin with file from Time Machine
    6. 6. Restart system, Now skype need to work with camera.

From Apple:

MacBook Air (Mid 2013): FaceTime HD Camera might not work after OS X 10.8.5 update

SECOND THE HINGE:

When the screen is tilted to eye level it simply falls back to its furthest possible position

What you said doesnt describe anything....."eye level" can mean anything.........what do you imply by "furthest possible position"

describe screen to base in rough degrees........  this L would be of course 90 degrees..........   THISwould be about 40degrees

As per Apple:

Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.

• Unable to close lid completely.
    • Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.
    • More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.
    • Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)

END from Apple.com

Due to the thin nature of the LCD backlit LED monitor on the Air, you would NOT WANT a very tight hinge.

Why? Excessive hinge resistance would cause the screen to BOW (and possibly crack), especially on a longer fulcrum from the hinge in the case of the 13" screen...... Ergo it is designed logically to be “looser than” a traditional macbook Pro's hinges for a very good reason.

Friction Hinge: A device with torque between two parts on a common axis.

A friction hinge is also commonly known as a:
    Constant Torque Hinge, Position Hinge, Clutch, Torque Hinge, or Detent Hinge.

Common Applications include:
    Laptop computers; lids, doors and enclosures; positioning device for controls, monitors, arms, seat rests