Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstalled Lion for MBA: IPhoto missing; CANNOT "accept" in App Store. Does anyone know why this might be? The Geniuses admitted to me that my ongoing issues were their fault, but have now refused to take care of this. I'll even BUY iphoto again, but ...

A WAY too long story short.

Apple has lost its soul. Jobs knew what he was doing: KEEP IT SIMPLE!!

it's not simple anymore. At all. They have totally messed up my ability to get done what I need to get done for both my business, my personal life and now for my taxes.

I already own iPhoto--two copies, in face, one for my iMac (not woriing since the "hey, we did y ou a favor and installed Mountain Lion on your Snow Leopard machine when we replaced the defective hard drive" and one for my ever defective Macbook Air.

I've now logged into the App store at least a dozen times, if not more,trying to get iPhoto back on my MBA. I'll even PAY for it again!!! I JUST NEED IT,**** it,and nothing works. I go to Purchases (and once again enter my Apple ID and my pw), then I click on Accept for iPhoto, for Garage Band (dn't need it but it's bundled in with stuff I already own), etc.

Again and again and again ..... I've done this. I NEED this to work. I have WORK to do.

I'll even pay for it, but no go. It just keep sending me back to that screen with the Accept button, and clickign on that hasnt worked.

ANYONE???? Hello?

God, I wish they had not messed with my computers. I'm so disgusted with Apple, and I was a hard core devotee, tolerating the chuckles and ridicule of the MS Windows people who call Apple "elitist" and "like a cult." I'm not a believer anymore ,but I do still have work to get done and a CPA waiting on me to get my things to him asap.

ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 5:08 PM

37 replies

Oct 6, 2013 7:43 PM in response to Dah•veed

I'm having the same issue that Yllek2 describes. I have installed iLife through the app store on other machines and I'm not sure why this one (MBA 13inch) won't let me. Either way, the user experience should be better than it is in the app store. I click "accept" and then enter my apple ID only to be dumped back on the app details page with the "accept" button still present. I should get an error message at the very least. I don't have iLife DVDs. If my machine came with them then they are long gone. Why can't I just buy iLife and download again? Whatever the reason, this appears broken in the app store and Apple should repair the functionality.

Oct 6, 2013 8:00 PM in response to willy1134

It isn't broken. You either bought the Mac 2nd hand or your Mac came with the iLife apps on it. If the former, the seller messed things up for you. If the latter, you must not have accepted the iLife apps when you first set up the Mac. If you failed to accept them and you used one of them, then as per the Terms of Use for the apps they are not updateable.

If you have iLife apps on another Mac, just copy them over to this one.

Oct 7, 2013 7:18 AM in response to Dah•veed

I was not clear enough in my original post.

I did not buy the MacBook Air used. I bought it new. It had and still Has lion on it.

Due to ongoing problems the machine was wiped out after a fresh backup to my external hard drive.

Please note: it was wiped out and reinstalled AT the Apple Store, not by me.

While doing my work I realized iPhoto is missing from the applications. I do not have a disk. The MacBook Air has no super drive.

When I realized iPhoto was missing, I searched online how to get it back.

I found that I am supposed to use the App Store.

I have signed in over a dozen times.

I do as instructed and go to "My Purchases."

I see that iPhoto is listed as one of my purchases; this makes sense, since I bought my MacBook Air new and it came with iPhoto.

I click on "accept."

I get the sign-in page again. I agsin enter my apple ID and password.

I again go to "my purchases."

I search for iPhoto. Again, I am redirected to to my purchases.

Again, I click on iPhoto.

Again, I am redirected to "My purchases." I see iPhoto there.

Again, I click on "accept."

Again, I am redirected to the sign-in window.

Again, I enter my apple ID and password.

I have done this over a dozen times, probably more, in my frustration and **need** to get my work done.

I do own also an iMac. Yes, it has iLife on it.

The point is that I paid for iPhoto when I bought my MacBook Air new. My MacBook Air is defective. It has been to the apple store many many times. After the issues have continued, it was ascertained that it should be wiped out and a fresh copy of lion reinstalled. So I gave my okay to that, and here I am, still with persisting, problems, including but not limited to, getting iPhoto back on my MacBook Air, which I need and have already paid for.

Unable to get help from Apple, I figured whatever ....I'll just pay for iPhoto again.

And that just started the whole cycle again: sign in; enter password password; search App Store for iPhoto; click on purchase (attempt to buy it again, but this time online in the App Store); redirected to "My Purchases"; click on accept; redirect to sign in; etc etc etc.

In case you are going to suggest I use my other copy of iLife, first of all, that is an older version of iPhoto; secondly, in my imperfect human natured ways, I have misplaced the booklet that has my key or whatever the number is that I would use to be able install this on my MacBook Air with the ilife disk; Thirdly, I have already purchased this and should not need to be "pirating" my own software from another, older machine (iMac). And fourthly? It won't work in any of the ways described, suggested, or attempted.

I am unable to get anyone from Apple to respond. I have tried--several times--to no avail.

Does that make this more clear?

Thank you for helping : )

I keep trying to avoid having to purchase a new computer. I have paid now a few hundred in phone consultation fees and remote view with join.me but the iPhoto issue had not yet arisen at that time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to take care of this.

Oct 7, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Yllek2

When the Mac was new, did you Accept the iLife apps into your account in the Mac App Store during initial setup of the Mac, and before you used either of the three apps? Yes or no. The behavior that the apps are still there on the Purchases pane with an Accept button tells me that you did not Accept them on initial setup.

Have you been using any of the three apps since you bought the Mac? As per the Terms of Use for the apps, if you did not accept them before using them, then they cannot be reinstalled and they cannot be updated.

Oct 7, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Yllek2

Answer: no, I did not.

Then that is your answer. You did not accept the iLife apps into your iTunes/Mac App Store account before using them, so you did not turn them into MAS apps, subject to the MAS Terms of Use.

As such, they are one-trick-ponies, usuable only as is, not eligible for redownloads from the MAS and not eligible for updates from the MAS. If you did not save them in a backup, such as a Time Machine backup, they are lost to you as any other non-MAS app would be lost. And because of that, this one Mac cannot buy them from the MAS as well.

At this point, the only thing that you can do is copy MAS versions over to this Mac from another Mac that you may have.

Oct 8, 2013 12:20 AM in response to Yllek2

I have exactly the same prob on my MacBookPro 17". Hard drive failed, local Apple store repaired it, then I found that iLife apps (and I need iPhoto) are missing, then I got stuck on the Accept button in the App store.

While I accept (pun intended) that Dah.veed's answer may be technically correct, it doesn't make sense from a user perspective.

Like Yllek2, I want the app store to tell me something usefull (i.e. not just loop on the Accept button) and/or I want to be able to just re-purchase the app!! Now we are being kept hostage in a no-mans land.

And there is the secondary issue of Apple staff reformatting the hard disk without warning their customer of this obviously known issue.

How do I copy a MAS iPhoto version from my desktop Mac Pro? Drag & drop the app from the app folder on a memory stick? And this won't get me into other trouble, licensing etc.?

Any advice much appreciated.

Oct 8, 2013 12:27 AM in response to Steven Martin5

How do I copy a MAS iPhoto version from my desktop Mac Pro? Drag & drop the app from the app folder on a memory stick?

Yes, that should work fine if the version on the Mac Pro is a MAS version, it is self contained.

And this won't get me into other trouble, licensing etc.?

Again, not if it is a MAS version. You may install MAS versions of your apps on as many Macs as you own or have in your control.

Oct 10, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Steven Martin5

The apps used to be updated without any problem by the app store. Then I had to do a clean install of OSX, because of file corruptions. I am unable to understand how a reinstall of another program would change my license.

Now I have the same app store 'you need to accept', accept, and nothing happens nonsense as mentioned by others here.

This is very unfortunate also because my iPhoto libraries might be incompatible in the meantime with the orginal iLife version. And I would possibly risk corruptions.

Apple, on the phone, in fact admits there is a problem in the app store. However they refuse to do anything about it.

<Edited By Host>

Oct 10, 2013 1:16 PM in response to Dah•veed

Well it's a MBP with lots of memory, and an OSX 10.8 mountain lion installed on it on a formatted hard drive. So, no history at all. I am not making any threats, I am just telling what is happening.

The position of Apple is that they admit they caused the problem, nevertheless refuse to act on it. Same as with the topic starter. This has little to do with iLife, it is about the App Store.

When the app store shows apps in the 'my purchases' list, asks to reaccept them (why???) and then refuses to act on my action to accept them, I would call that a bug. It doesn't give any feedback.

Bugs happen, that is not so much of a problem, but I want some kind of response. That could be we'll fix it in a few days/ weeks. Or buy the apps again and we will repay you. There are quite a few possibilities for them and most Apple users are willing to cooperate. It has nothing to do with actual application support. It is all about a non functioning cloud store.

I have been mailing with iTunes store support. They asked me to delete plist files on my disk that aren't there. Then they gave up. They redirected me to the AppleCare desk. The guy there acknowledges that it is an Apple problem. Gives me the opportunity to buy incident support for 50 euros, without any guarantee for success. Tells me that the solution is on the Apple website, which I doubt, but plainly refuses to tell me where I can find the page.

Me and my family have been Apple customers for almost a decade. Spent on business and private use about 14K euro. I fail to understand this attitude. Feels like plain arrogance to me.

The good news is: since they censored my last contribution (why, hello Russia, explanation, please, hello.....?) they seem to be reading the discussion here. Great! A solution is most appreciated.

Oct 10, 2013 2:22 PM in response to Jan-Willem Arnold

Apple isn't here. Apple doesn't answer questions here. A fellow user alerted the forum hosts to your threat, which is why your comment was edited. A company owned and financed forum is always subject to users not make ugly comments about the company. This is not a democracy, it is a company owned website.

Is this one of the files that you were asked to delete?

Library/Application Support/App Store/adoption.plst

BTW, did you accept these apps into your account when you originally set up the Mac when new? What version of OS X originally shipped with this Mac?

Oct 10, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Dah•veed

Dah veed,

- The forum hosts are Aple people isn't it. So they do read it, I guess?

- I did not make ugly comments. Referring to Dutch consumer law isn't a crime, even although it is outside the U.S.

- Library/Application Support/App Store/adoption.plst -> this file is not there

- did you accept these apps... yes, and otherwise they cannot appear in the my purchases list, since the app store wouldn't know about them

- OS X originally -> Lion.

But I don't feel that is so relevant. There is no issue brought up by Apple about some licensing thing. The apps are presented in the app store, ready to be accepted. Just that doesn't work.

reinstalled Lion for MBA: IPhoto missing; CANNOT "accept" in App Store. Does anyone know why this might be? The Geniuses admitted to me that my ongoing issues were their fault, but have now refused to take care of this. I'll even BUY iphoto again, but ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.