Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer cursor would open tabs & move on its own. Is it spyware/trojan/virus?

I left the computer idle and I saw that the cursor started moving on its own. I literally had to fight for control of the cursor. Then it would open tabs on my Chrome browser or click through the bookmarks on its own. It was opening up my Facebook, Twitter, etc. Good thing I had it on a Chrome incognito window so none of my personal things popped up when the bookmarks were clicked. It definitely has a mind of it's own like somebody else is using my computer remotely. I wasn't sure what to do because I couldn't move the cursor to even go into system settings so I just shut down my computer.

Is it spyware/trojan/virus? I'm not very clear about the differences between them nor about addressing them especially when it comes to a mac. I have a feeling my brother might've clicked through some **** sites some time in the past so I guess I'm not TOO surprised...There definitely have NOT been any downloads of any apps, or files recently either (that I know of) so I don't think it's coming from a download but off website visits...Someone help me please!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 10:50 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2013 2:00 PM in response to midnight88blues

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article, and also this one, if applicable.

2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.

3. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced without delay.

7. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built-in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

8. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

9. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think that your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

10. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine and/or external trackpad tested.

Oct 1, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

First off, thank you so much for the detailed list. It was very useful and knowledgable. However, none of those steps from 1-9 have resolved my problem...the cursor is still acting erractically. It's still opening up browser windows, creating new folders on my desktop and the like.

I was spectulating that it might be interference from my USB/wireless keyboard & mouse from my desktop. So I left the Mac open & left the house. There is no wifi or bluetooth enabled & my keyboard/desktop mouse are all idle (since I wasn't home).I came back half an hour later and my Mac apparently created 25 new folders on my desktop, opened my iTunes (which wasn't open before) & is currently playing music from my iTunes library--it's pausing music, continuing it, and skipping to the next track. There is no issue with keyboard controls so I'm assuming the wireless keyboard isn't interferring with it. I have to fight for control of my cursor just to even open the System Preferences...There is a lag in the cursor movement when it's controlling it though.

For a trackpad to act erratically, would it still be acting like this 4 hours later with everything turned off? When I left the house, I made sure it wasn't connected to an adapter or charging. It was left by itself, nothing connected to it, everything off (bluetooth+wifi). Battery is normal; tried the charger (2-prong/3-prong); tried safe mode--it still reacted in safe mode; I have no external display or any ports/usbs/anything connected to the laptop; I tried wiping the trackpad down with a glasses cleaner cloth to make sure it wasn't due to oil/moisture (I did clean my trackpad the day before the problem with an all-purpose cleaner so it was the first thing i tried to look at).

Nothing is working...

I'll definitely go take it to the Apple Store if you think there really aren't any other possible causes for what's wrong.

Oct 1, 2013 4:46 PM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the help via that website! It was very informative! I combined the resources from both you and Linc regarding recommendations about how to fix it. None of them have helped me with my problem. Can you please take a look at my response to Linc and see if there is anything else you can think of that would help me?

I appreciate the help and your time in advance! Thanks!

Oct 1, 2013 5:19 PM in response to midnight88blues

I combined the resources from both you and Linc regarding recommendations about how to fix it. None of them have helped me with my problem.

Well, but you haven't actually tried everything, because you said you haven't taken it to the Apple Store yet. Sounds increasingly like a hardware issue may be at play here, so that needs to be your next step.

Also, when you said the battery is normal, did you just mean that it's performing normally and tests as normal in System Profiler/System Information? If so, that's not adequate for determining whether it is swelling and putting pressure on the trackpad. The folks at the Apple Store can look at that for you.

Oct 5, 2013 2:20 PM in response to midnight88blues

it happens to me as well .. usually its because the trachpad is sensitive to our fingers so any slight of oil or water can make your trackpad unrepsonsive .. i fight mine all the time i just bought the liquid to clean computers and tv . etc but nothing ... if its not a technical issue then its definatly has to do with whatsever on the trackpad thats not responding to your finger

Oct 6, 2013 10:51 PM in response to midnight88blues

I had the same issue this weekend, so I contacted the Apple Support through Chat. I performed some troubleshooting procedures the guy requested me to do but the problem continued. It was really frustrating. He recommended me to take it to a Genius Bar. I decided to disable temporarily the trackpad and connect an external mouse to be able to work. In any case I continued googling for more info about the issue and found that pressing the four corners of the trackpad worked in some cases so I did it and enabled the trackpad back. It totally solved it. At least it seems so. It worths a try.

Sep 16, 2015 11:56 PM in response to midnight88blues

I have had this problem intermittantly and called apple, done the pram reset, cleaned the trackpad etc .

I had installed Viber on my macbook pro retina which automatically came on at start up.

I removed viber and the mouse on the trackboard seemed to start behaving as normal immediately (it had been unresponsive and moving around the screen on its own immediately prior to the Viber removal.I'll give it a few days to see if this is a permanent solution

Is it possible Viber could cause this?

Thanks.

Computer cursor would open tabs & move on its own. Is it spyware/trojan/virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.