Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain login cannot be found to store session token

Hi,

A couple of days ago I started getting errors with my Keychain.

I have tried a couple of solutions on the web such as verifying and repairing my keychain but it seems to keep getting corrupted.

I have also run Disk Utilities and verified the disk to no joy.

The only application I have installed since the errors started appearing was a "Pixelmator" trial. I have since deleted the App but the errors are still appearing.

They are appearing when I open app's such as Chrome and Safari.

Deleting login.keychain, logging out/in it prompts me for my iMessage and Facetime password on logging back in but I still get the errors.

I have also tried to restore my Keychain from a TimeMachine backup from last week but it has since been corrupted again.

Please find attached screenshot.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 5:51 AM

30 replies

Jun 25, 2017 8:55 AM in response to Cen92

For everyone who has a problem finding login.keychain file in Library folder, you have to follow the instruction - it says to use Finder > Go > Go to folder... > and then paste this: ~/Library/Keychains

Then you will see the correct Library folder (there are a few on the system drive) with login.keychain in it.

I'm currently trying to do this and I couldn't find login.keychain in my Library folders manually, only using Finder > Go and pasting the path opened the correct Library folder.

Sep 30, 2013 8:03 PM in response to Cen92

At some point, you reset your keychain to default in Keychain Access. That caused your login keychain to be renamed.

Back up all data.

In Keychain Access, delete the login keychain from the keychain list. Choose Delete References when prompted, not Delete References & Files.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard ( command-C):

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens ( command-V), and press return. A folder will open. Rename the file "login.keychain" in that folder to something like "login-old.keychain". Rename the file "login-renamed.keychain" to "login.keychain".

Back in Keychain Access, select

File Add Keychain...

from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file you named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for each item transferred.

Oct 1, 2013 2:27 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I had followed the above steps from another answer on a thread I found after some Googling but the problem still persists.

My Login keychain keeps disappearing...

I had not recieved any error since repairing(creating a new login.keychain) logging in/out. But after closing the shell of my laptop, with an app which uses login.keychain (Spotify), on reopening I recieved the below error.

Please see the below error from Spotify after re-opening & unlocking my laptop.

As in the below screenshot you can see the files that are in /System/Library/Keychains/

It seems that my Keychain folder in /username/Library/ is being deleted for some reason.

If you have any other tips/tricks to stop this from happening that would be brilliant!

User uploaded file

EDIT: Just now I tried to follow your steps above and as soon as I copied my login.keychain and tried to paste( To make the login.old.keychain file) The folder had been deleted!!

Message was edited by: Cen92

Jan 4, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, I'm also having the same problems. I followed your steps here however when I add the login.keychain back into Keychain Access, it doesn't show up in the Keychains list. In the Keychains list I only see the following Keychains: "Local items", "System", "System Roots". Do I have a permissions issue which prevents it being added?

Mar 27, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Linc Davis

cf your "Rename the file "login.keychain" in that folder to something like "login-old.keychain". Rename the file "login-renamed.keychain" to "login.keychain"."

Sounds you ask me to hit "return" while on the file "login.keychain", rename it to "login-old.keychain" and then to rename it back to "login.keychain" ? Or do you want us to duplicate the file, and rename one to "login-old.keychain"?

Thy

Mar 27, 2014 7:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

In the application Keychain, when I click on File/Add Keychain, and select the

"login.keychain" and the "login-old.keychain", they won't appear in the keychain named "login".

This "login" keychain is completely empty. Is that normal?

PS

I've unlocked the keychain named "login" and "system".

Thy

Apr 3, 2014 2:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I have the same problem as Cen92 , most ly in safari. ( in fact I have numerous problems since got the Maverick on , keychain is just one). I followed your instruct but stuck at the folder link:

in the user/library/keychains I only found these files:

1. apsd.keychain
  2. System.keychain
  3. System.keychain-orig
  4. System.keychain.2001-01-01.13/00/35
  5. System.keychain.2009-06-14.06/58/05

So I am not sure where to go next:

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Levan

My Mbp is mid2009, 2.24GHz, RAM 4GHz

Keychain login cannot be found to store session token

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.