Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Siri and keyboard can't hear me

I've read several discussions on this problem. This is what I've found: I did a reset to the settings, which someone recommended. This shuts Siri off. The Voice Control can hear me. Once I turn Siri back on, I can not be heard. Shut it off, Voice Control hears me....

I've done everything short of a system restore.

I also have an ipad and Siri works with no problems.

Can anyone help?

Maybe I'll have to head to a genius bar.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 9:00 AM

46 replies

Apr 30, 2017 1:19 AM in response to pweiss0408

This is the second time I've had this problem in 2 years. The first time I did the Siri on & off thing, phone restarts, reinstall of iOS, reinstall of iOS as a new phone, everything. Then went to see Apple who did the same but to no avail. They then swapped my iPhone 6+ for a new one under warranty & explained that there are 2 mic's in the iPhone & the Siri one can fail meaning that the phone still appears to be working fine but Siri can't hear you. This explains why Siri will work when you've got your headphones in but doesn't not.

Unfortunately I'm now out of warranty & suspect this has happened again as I've done everything but install as a new iPhone & still Siri still doesn't work!

Hope this helps guide others, so if still in warranty get to the Genius Bar soonest & Apple will replace your iPhone if a reinstall of iOS doesn't work.

May 4, 2017 5:58 PM in response to Big_Botts

I just had the same problem with my iPhone 7. I tried turning Siri on and off - no luck. I checked to see that I didn't have a lot of apps open (amazing how often I can have 30+ apps open!) - I didn't. Then decided to try clearing my iPhone RAM memory. To do this, hold down the power button (as if you are going to shut down) - but instead of sliding the button to shut down, press the home button and keep holding it down until the Home Screen reappears.

When I did this, and then went to the Siri Settings, it made me do a new voice recognition series. Once I did that I was back in business. I realized that with a head cold my voice was raspy - perhaps Siri didn't recognize it. I don't know, but it works now. I wonder if I will have to do it again when my sinuses clear up?

May 8, 2017 9:39 PM in response to pweiss0408

Okay so I've been having the same issue where Siri or the mic on the keyboard work at all but I found out a solution. First you want to go to setting>general>reset>reset network settings. You want to click yes when it brings up the pop up message and then your phone should reset don't worry you'll still have everything and Siri should be good to go after that hope it helps if you haven't found out how to do it by now

May 18, 2017 5:13 PM in response to tdagraca

Thank you so much but for this fix! I was skeptical, but when I tried video racing me sure enough there was no sound. It took a good bit of persuasion, hitting my old 5c against a chair and repetedely blowing into the microphone. After the first time nothing. Second time I had a his when I videoed myself. Third time a louder hiz. Fourth time nothing. Fith time a his again. And so this went on for a bit. Finally I got sound on the video and Siri worked after that.

Thanks again!

Though I was looking for an excuse to get rid of this phone and upgrade to a 7...but my phone won't die! I even took the case off it 6 months ago figuring I will drop it, break it and need a new one. Several drops later and not even a scratch on the screen. Curse this well made phone!

Oct 8, 2013 9:06 PM in response to pweiss0408

Ok i actually just fixed mine lol. Go to settings.general.siri. Turn siri off click disable or whatever message pops up. Then double tap the home button and close settings. Reopen settings.general.siri. Turn it back on. Then hold the home button and activate siri while in the siri settings. Let me know if it worked for you. It worked for me i swear.

Help Siri and keyboard can't hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.