Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connect a 2013, 13' MacBook Air to 2 external displays?

Hi,

I have 2 24inch displays and I would like to connect a 2013, 13' MacBook Air to them, so is that possible?

And if so, what do I need?

Regards,

Cipri

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2013 model

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 9:50 AM

27 replies

Jan 23, 2014 2:28 AM in response to mende1

Correct me if i'm wrong, but that hub would not do the job either. Sure it has two thunderbolt ports, but one of them is connected to your Mac and the other one is daisy chaining to your thunderbolt device. So you would only have one thunderbolt port free for a monitor (using a displayport adapter).

AFAIK you would need to have a thunderbolt display to daisy chain with the chain ending as soon as you put on a display port adapter. That or you buy some sort of usb device (like this), however I have no idea how well they perform.

Mar 6, 2014 5:22 AM in response to Cipriano Teibao

Hi, you can even connect 3 displays to your macbook air, the first one would be with the thunderbolt, the second one can be with an usb 3.0 to vga adapter and the third one you can get with the apple TV. Once you get all this connections go to sistem preferences the click on displays, then click on arrangement and then you can control your display just like you need them. Even I think that you can get 4 displays with the other usb but I am not sure.

Let me know.

Apr 4, 2014 7:03 AM in response to julianfs89

So I bought the Belkin port replicator thinking I could use the USB 3.0 connection with a J5 USB to DVI connction, but the device could not be detected. Did anyone else find anything out about this?

Do they make a thunderbolt hub with more than 2 ports?

Apple did confirm that it would support up to 2 external devices, plus the laptop screen. According to them, that is the limit on the MacBook Airs (2014).

Shane

May 12, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Cipriano Teibao

We have used the Plugable USB 3.0/2.0 to HDMI/DVI adapter to display dual monitors on our Macbook Airs. It works fairly well and they have Apple drivers for the adapter. Sometimes it will glitch, but overall works fine. We use Asus 27" monitors with DVI ports. So monitor one has a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter and the second is the Plugable adapter.

Jul 30, 2014 10:11 AM in response to Simon De-Ville

Simon De-Ville wrote:

I think that the best thunderbolt hub for this setup would be to use one of these, it has two thunderpolt ports, one for the MBA the other for a display whilst also having an HDMI out too which can be connected to a second display. Plus it has all the other ports you would expect a hub to have.

The Elgato dock has limited support for a second monitor. It claims that based on the "power" of the attached Mac, it can support a second monitor. The web page here:

http://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1491132-how-many-displays-can-be -used-with-elgato-thunderbolt%E2%84%A2-dock-

has a lot of repeated statements, and I recently bought one and found out that it would not recognize my display-port-to-vga adapter when I had another monitor plugged into the HDMI port. So, it would seem that we are SOL for two monitors on the macbook air with the Elgato dock.

Is it possible to connect a 2013, 13' MacBook Air to 2 external displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.