Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with media keys on my MacBook Pro

Hi there !

I have an annoying issue on my MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012 for a pretty long time now : the media keys (F7, F8 & F9) stopped working with iTunes and others applications, but they still work with VLC or Spotify per example.

I tried to do a lot of things, like taking rcd.app from a clean Mac install and replacing the one in my MB by the fresh one, but it didn't work...

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this problem ? It's driving me crazy.

Thank you in anticipation !

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 9:40 AM

Hi there,

Just browsed the forum and found a fix which solve the issue in my context: Google Chrome Play Music app was actually swallowing the media keys events, preventing iTunes to get them.

Still don't really understand why it impacts only iTunes in my case, however once the Play Music app uninstalled from Chrome via the Extensions pane of the Settings page, iTunes got its media keys events back.

See this thread for reference:

Media keys not working on MacBook Air

Cheers

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2014 9:40 AM in response to NotKlemant

Hi there,

Just browsed the forum and found a fix which solve the issue in my context: Google Chrome Play Music app was actually swallowing the media keys events, preventing iTunes to get them.

Still don't really understand why it impacts only iTunes in my case, however once the Play Music app uninstalled from Chrome via the Extensions pane of the Settings page, iTunes got its media keys events back.

See this thread for reference:

Media keys not working on MacBook Air

Cheers

Apr 1, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Desoya

THANKSSSSS!!! THIS WAS THE FIXXXXXXX Desoya. I thought it was yosemite initially, but it wasn't.

It's Google Chrome!!!!

Re-capping for everyone:

In your Chrome Browser select: Chrome Tab>>>Preferences>>> Extentions (left hand side)>>> Scroll down to Google Play Music then make sure "Enable" is deselected.

Now try the play, fast forward or rewind buttons and it should work straight away.

Issues with media keys on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.