Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Power Button flaky since upgrade to iOS 7

I never had any issues with the power/sleep button on my iPhone 5 in the past. However, immediately after upgrading to iOS 7 I started having issues with the button not responding very well. It can take numerous presses to get it to work, or sometimes it just works on the first try. I have updated to the latest 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 but with no change in behavior. I am fairly certain that there is some sort of issue or bug with iOS 7, and that it is not a hardware issue.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so, was there anything found that could possibly fix it (aside from restoring an old backup of the phone before it was upgraded to iOS7)?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 9:32 AM

106 replies

Oct 9, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Scorpial

I have this problem too. I found a workaround that makes it a little better.

If I push the inside half of the power button, it works about 80% of the time. Outside half of the button, and it almost never works. So I just keep pushing the inside half.

Hopefully they issue a real fix, but in the short term, and it's not another case of "you're just using it wrong".

Oct 12, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Scorpial

I'm have the same issue with iPhone 5 after upgrading to iOS 7. I'm currently running iOS 7.0.2 on iPhone 5 (Model A1429) and I have to push the power button several times to turn on or off the screen. I never noticed this issue before with iOS 6.1 while using iPhone 5 for more then 10 months.

As criddar, I'm more successful with pushing the button exactly in the middle and pushing it on edges almost never works. But I still thing that this is software issue related to the iOS 7 upgrade.

I have 2 motnhs left on the warranty so as a last resort I can give the phone to the service.

Oct 15, 2013 4:34 PM in response to msupma

The problem for me was litterally overnight.. fine before iOS 7.. problem showed up the day after the update. While it could be a coincidence, the general sluggishness of iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and the timing is highly suggestive of an iOS 7 problem. My iPhone 5 used to feel so much snappier than my wife's 4S with iOS 6.. she didnt update.. and the difference between the two phones now just isnt there. Certain things are faster (well at least Safari) with iOS 7, but im kinda bummed that my phone is no longer as "snappy" as it was before the update.

Having been a Mac user since around 98, and being one of the first to have the Mac OS 10.. i am used to OS updates being an improvement (10 was buggy.. but got better fast.. even on my iBook 466SE).

I understand that with phones the hardware is making quantum leaps each year.. and you cant expect a phone to be able to handle an OS designed around what is esentially completely different hardware.. but a year-old phone that has the same processor as a new 5c should not feel sluggish.

I'm cool with progress.. and rather Apple make leaps in hardware capability.. and don't necessarily want them to get caught up in supporting legacy hardware.. but the 5 is not really legacy when Apple sticks to a 1 year upgrade cycle.

Oct 15, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Scorpial

Like Sandman, my issue started right after the OS upgrade as well. That being said, when I took it to the Genius Bar, the said it was a faulty power button. So I took it to a local repair shop and had a new button put in. Works like new now.

So, it appears they did put some defective hardware in the iPhone 5 since a lot of us are encountering button problems. But it could also be that iOS6 was more forgiving with button pushes as well, due to different security on the lock screen.

A combination of a less forgiving iOS 7 and a crappy button is the likely scenario for this issue. But getting a new button does fix it (if you've got $50 to spare). As we know, Apple doesn't do recalls.

Oct 16, 2013 3:22 PM in response to Scorpial

I'd like to apologize.. my issue is indeed a mechanical problem with the power button. Started doubting myself after my "so certain" post.. and tested a few things. The right side of power button does not work. I have to press it on the left side of the button. If i press the powerbutton on the left most side with my fingernail.. I can press it a 100 times and get nothing. Press the left side.. and it works every time.

iPhone 5 Power Button flaky since upgrade to iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.