Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone doesn't send emails - no error message

Hi all,

I've got a weird problem: my iPhone doesn't send emails. Never had this problem before. I've got my gmail account in Mail and I can receive and read email without problems, but sending doesn't work.

The phone makes the "whoosh" sound after tapping 'send' and I don't get an error message, but the emails do not arrive and they don't show up in Sent items nor in Outbox. No problems with Mail on my mac, only iPhone.

I've tried resetting the phone, deleting the account and reinstalling it, but it doesn't work.

Who knows what could be wrong?

Thanks very much in advance!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 9:55 AM

29 replies

Nov 6, 2013 4:05 AM in response to Klfoord

The temporary fix is to restart the device.

We at our company are connecting via ActiveSync (Exchange), not gmail. The common denominator is the mail app and it happens on iOS 6 or iOS 7. I have reported this and other mail app issues using the bug reporter, but have had NOTHING back.

The biggest problem with this is that the user isnt aware of the issue at any point, and cannot anticipate it happening (no warnings or errors).

Other mail app issues noticed:

- audible alerts dont work when new email arrives if the sending issue is happening.

- Sending email (with or without attachments) when the device is in/out of signal causes corrupt and incomplete emails to be delivered, and sometimes multiple copies of it delivered.

Nov 10, 2013 4:53 AM in response to HateAppleWithAPassion

Thanks for your reply.

I have two mail accounts installed in mail: one gmail (private), one exchange (work). As I do not always want to receive work e-mail I regularly switch work email on and off.

Probably this is why the problem keeps coming back.

I sent an e-mail to Apple about this weeks ago but no reply.

It is good to hear that resetting the device is a temporary solution, I will try it next time.

I typed a very long and important e-mail in the train this week on my phone. Tapped send, but the e-mail never arrived and didn't show up in my sent items. No warning, no error message, nothing... One hour of work dissapeared into thin air because my iPhone was not able to do the simplest thing imaginable, sending an e-mail (or at least saving it if it can't).

I am annoyed and also amazed that this huge bug is continuing to exist and nobody at Apple cares to even answer, let alone solve it.

Dec 1, 2013 11:22 PM in response to GravityLightspeed

I am still having the SAME Problem.

I type a long email on my phone. After composing Email, I press SEND button. No-one receives my Email and I cannot see my email on SEND Items. I try to send email from my other Account on Iphone, I have the same problem.

As a Temporary fix, I restart my MOBILE, it's working now.

What is the Problem to my MOBILE😟? It's time consuming for me to check SEND Items after sending email everytime.

Anyone have solution for this?

Dec 10, 2013 4:50 PM in response to GravityLightspeed

I am having a problem when I send emails but the error message I get after a long pause (and already hearing the sound like it was sent successfully) is that my message could not be sent because my email password was incorrect. I have not changed my password and this is the same email account I have been using every day for almost 3 years. I went into the settings and re-entered the password but it still wont send. I also restarted my phone, deleted and readded the email account and I still have the same problem. Please help!!

Dec 10, 2013 6:30 PM in response to GravityLightspeed

Ok guys I have a fix for this problem that Apple can't help you with! Go into Settings, then Mail, then the account you want to fix. Tap the Account tab, scrool down to Outgoing Mail Server. Turn Off your primary server account. Then find your cell provider server and turn it on!

This fixed my phone and my wife's that hasn't been able to send since September....

Dec 11, 2013 1:37 AM in response to Linkmadman

Thanks Lindmadman, but I just checked the settings you point at but the Exchange account I have problems with doesn't have a button named Outgoing Mail Server.

In the meantime I've lost multiple business mails now with my iPhone. This single bug makes professional use of the phone quite impossible.

I've now switched back to an iPhone with iOS 5 (!!) and will have to switch to an Android phone soon because of this single but insane bug... Such a hassle because I have now everything integrated in Apple (contacts, mail, calendar in iMac/iPad/iPhone) and I'm afraid things will not run as smoothly when I replace the iPhone by Android, but I see no other solution. For my work I really need a phone that I can rely on when I send emails.

Jan 22, 2014 9:25 AM in response to GravityLightspeed

I have this problem too ever since upgrading to ios7. So frustrating and costly! I need to be able to reply any time anywhere for my job. This also happens to all my mail accounts - not just exchange.

I sent 9 emails this morning before I realized it.

I've had the iPhone since 3 months after it came out but I'm going to have to make a change as much as I hate to.

I can't risk losing my job.

iPhone doesn't send emails - no error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.