Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the Apple ID stored on my MacBook Air? I have changed my Apple ID on the Apple ID website, but both my MacBook Air and my iMac show the old Apple ID when accessing iCloud.

How do I change the Apple ID that is stored on my MacBook Air. I have changed my Apple ID on the Apple ID website but both my MacBook Air and my iMac show the old Apple ID when accessing iCloud.

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 8:27 AM

Hi,

As stated above, this is not linked to the local mac users & groups.

The problem was to deactivate the "Find my mac" service with a deleted AppleID account. For a reminder, macOS forces to use the previous AppleID to deactivate it, which was impossible due to the change.

I finally found my way by modifying the NVRAM through those commands, to be executed as root:

sudo nvram -d fmm-computer-name

sudo nvram -d fmm-mobileme-token-FMM

A technical restart with the Cmd+Option+R+P keys and then the issue has been resolved: I could logout on Preference>iCloud and use my new AppleID account.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2017 8:27 AM in response to applesmartz

Hi,

As stated above, this is not linked to the local mac users & groups.

The problem was to deactivate the "Find my mac" service with a deleted AppleID account. For a reminder, macOS forces to use the previous AppleID to deactivate it, which was impossible due to the change.

I finally found my way by modifying the NVRAM through those commands, to be executed as root:

sudo nvram -d fmm-computer-name

sudo nvram -d fmm-mobileme-token-FMM

A technical restart with the Cmd+Option+R+P keys and then the issue has been resolved: I could logout on Preference>iCloud and use my new AppleID account.

Dec 31, 2016 6:06 PM in response to Hildie

Hi,

I've found this thread through a Google search.

My issue is the following: I'm on macOS Sierra. I've changed my AppleID, and on Preference>iCloud, I still have the old AppleID.

I can't logout: the "Find my Mac" service is activated and to logout I need to deactivate it. Unfortunately, the system requires the previous AppleID... Not found in "Apple's archives". The new one is not usable.

Can you assist me?

Jan 9, 2017 5:57 PM in response to Laurent_FR

This worked for me. Thanks for the fix Laurent! I opened Terminal, and copy/pasted the two command lines (entered my Mac password after the first command line). Then I restarted my Mac with Cmd+Option+R+P. Then I opened System Preferences > iCloud, and was FINALLY able to sign out of iCloud!! I just signed back in with my new Apple ID and all is good!

Feb 6, 2017 4:26 AM in response to Hildie

I changed my apple Id on the website. It won't let me sign out under the iCloud tab in System Preferences, Because I have to first turn off Find My Mac, which I can't because it's using my old ID.

My mac tell me to enter the password to verify my apple ID but obviously throws an error because it's my old Apple ID.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Oct 5, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Unfortunately this did not help with the problem. When I access the iCloud through the iMac's System Preferences iCloud icon, the Apple ID that is displayed in the iCloud account access window is still my old Apple ID. When I do the Open System Preferences>Users&Groups>Password the correct Apple ID is being displayed. The problem is that I can't view my iCloud account because the iCloud icon is not using the current Apple ID and it won't give me access.

Dec 1, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Hildie

I had the same issue. Finally I decided to go to System Preferences/iCloud/Sign Out and then sign in again. This means that you are erasing all icloud content on your computer (well, it is an option that you are presented with. I thought a good choice to prevent the possibility of doubles). When I signed in again with my new user name, it all came back. Interesting thing is that I checked my other computer after doing this and it has the old Account ID. So although the old account is in the iCoud Preferences, everything was still in sync. So I went through the same process on my other computre and now they are both in sync with each other and with iCloud.

Jul 28, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Hildie

I had this problem on my iMac and fixed it after a half hour of frustrated trying. I had changed my Apple ID on my iPad mini while traveling. When I finally got back home after a few months, I couldn't log in to iTunes on my iMac. The old Apple ID was still being used on my iMac. I tried just highlighting it and deleting it and typing in my new Apple ID. No dice. The login just defaulted to my old Apple ID. I tried clicking on the drop down menu that appears when you right right click your Apple ID that appears at the top of the page after highlighting the 'iTunes Store" in the left side list. I saw "account" so I clicked on that. The "account" settings on my iMac showed my new Apple ID but my iMac wouldn't use it. It just kept defaulting to my old ID. I shut down. I logged back in. Same result. Finally I right clicked the same drop down menu and saw "sign out" at the bottom of the list. Even though I was not signed in to iTunes, I clicked "sign out". My next log in to iTunes showed my Apple ID as blank and I was able to type in my new ID. Hope this helps.

I am a long time 20 year Microsoft user. I am somewhat ( 1 year) new to Apple. With Microsoft, I found that fixing problems was clunky and complex, but there was always a post somewhere that explained the fix. Microsoft's explanations stated even the most obvious fact. Even if everyone knew that the sky was blue, Microsoft's instructions would still tell you that the sky was blue. With Apple, I find that the obvious is sometimes not so obvious. But the fix is almost always easy once you find it, without many of the elaborate maneuvers needed in Windows.

May 13, 2015 3:26 AM in response to 2ndalias

Hi 2nddalias,

thats the same issue i think i have. When i first configured my airbook out of the box i used an apple id that i actually don't want to use. So i created a new user with the apple id that i want on system preferences > user & groups. But this did not solve my problem as when i restart or shutdown and turn on again it asks me to input my old apple id (that i first configured) and then it asks me for my new apple id. I don't want to login 2 times. All i want is to make my new id the PRIMARY and ONLY ONE

How do I change the Apple ID stored on my MacBook Air? I have changed my Apple ID on the Apple ID website, but both my MacBook Air and my iMac show the old Apple ID when accessing iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.