Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone will not automatically backup to iCloud after iOS7 install

My iPhone 5 will not automatically backup to icloud anymore now that iOS7 has been installed. Steps I have tried so far...

Installed iOS7 through Software Update - relazed three days later that the phone was not backing up

Did a manual backup

Erased the entire phone

Restored from iCloud backup

Then reset all phone settings

Signed out of iCloud, deleted all data and then signed back in

Is anyone else having this issue after updating to iOS7?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 5:29 AM

8 replies

Oct 19, 2013 6:38 AM in response to Bricsax01

I could not get iCloud backup to work either on a 5s running 7.0.2.

I turned off Find My iPhone and did a Backup Now and it worked. I turned it back on and did another Backup Now and it worked again. By the way, I turned off just about all apps to speed the process up.

The real test will be when I plug it in and see if it will work automatically.

Hope this helps.

Oct 21, 2013 6:48 AM in response to Bricsax01

I did all the above also and I also opened a case with apple support. one of the techs i spoke with told me that automatic icloud backups occur *just* once in a 24 hour period. Apparently, that was the resolution, at least in my case. My phone has backed up to the icloud now for 2 consecutive days. I was performing manual icloud backups while automatic backups were not working. So, if you've been backing up manually to icloud, wait at least 24hrs before attempting an automatic backup.

Dec 31, 2013 9:41 PM in response to Bricsax01

my dear friend i have like your problem before and when i see alot of solution i find the one it work with me and

come autmatic again

take the solution:

Note that a manual backup also factors into the automatic backup schedule, meaning the next automatic backup will not occur until 48 hours later.

Actually the iCloud backup process sounds a bit more complicated than it actually is in practical use. You can’t schedule iCloud backups manually, but you don’t need to do so as iOS takes care of this for you, and it’s designed to be pretty transparent.

Once enabled, iCloud backups will run automatically whenever the following conditions are met:

• Your device is powered on,
  • Your device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi,
  • Your device is connected to a power source,
  • Your device has the screen locked (i.e. turned off), and
  • It has been at least 24 hours since the last successful backup occurred.

In other words, your device may not be backed up to iCloud at the same time every day, but once 24 hours has elapsed the iPhone will make a backup as soon as it is plugged in and on Wi-Fi with the screen off. For example, if your iPhone backs up to iCloud at 10:00 pm tonight, but you don’t plug it in while on a Wi-Fi connection until midnight tomorrow night, the next backup will occur at midnight—basically as soon as you plug it in—and future backups will continue to run at midnight on subsequent days as long as the iPhone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi, and has the screen off at that time. If you’re working an irregular schedule and coming home at different hours, this may gradually push the backups to later at night, but the backup won’t be skipped if you miss the time window—it will still occur as soon as possible once all of the other conditions are met.

This does of course mean that sometimes backups can get pushed to the point where they may be delayed until the next night; come home at 10 a.m. on a Sunday morning and plug in your iPhone and that’s when your next backup will occur, but if you leave for work on Monday morning at 9:00 am and your phone isn’t plugged in and on Wi-Fi while at work, you won’t get another automatic backup until you get home and plug it in later that night.

You can check the time of the last successful iCloud backup by going into the Settings app on your iPhone and choosing Storage & Backup from the iCloud section.

You can also tap the “Back Up Now” button from this screen to create a manual iCloud backup at any time. To create a manual iCloud backup, your iPhone only needs to be on Wi-Fi, it does not need to be plugged in or have the screen off.

Note that a manual backup also factors into the automatic backup schedule, meaning the next automatic backup will not occur until 48 hours later.

This can be one method for adjusting to a specific backup time if you really feel the need to, but it’s largely unnecessary as iOS should naturally settle into a standard backup routine as long as your iPhone is regularly plugged in and on Wi-Fi for at least a few hours each day, such as while you’re sleeping.

As one last note, it’s also worth keeping in mind that the iPhone only needs to be connected to power with the screen off to start an iCloud backup; once the automatic backup has started, it will continue as long as the iPhone remains on a Wi-Fi connection, even if you unplug the iPhone or begin using it.

Aug 23, 2014 5:39 PM in response to braden85

My problem is that when I try to join a network and put in the password, the iPhone 4s with IOS 7.1.2 gives a message that it can't join the network. I am clear I am putting in the correct passwords, and my computer can join with no problem. Any ideas? For this reason I have not been able to back up to iCloud.

There was one time last month that I was able to join a network. This was in a place considerably southwest of Portland that had very slow and limited Internet connection. I can't figure out why then.

My iPhone will not automatically backup to iCloud after iOS7 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.