Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S Signal Issues

I just upgrade from an iPhone 5 (AT&T) to an iPhone 5S (AT&T) about a week ago. Ever since the upgrade, I have had a significant increase in dropped calls and data sessions. The increase is due in part to the fact that my phone will randomly, usually about 2-3 times per day, say No Service, then Searching for Service, then No Service, then it will reconnect to the network or say No SIM Insert SIM Card. I went to the AT&T store to get a new SIM card, but now my phone is switching from LTE to 4G or EDGE in places that my iPhone 5 never did. I am also having issues with WIFI not detecing networks that are there. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2, AT&T

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 12:21 PM

51 replies

Oct 7, 2013 6:27 PM in response to eriknokc

Are you using a case with metallic back that stretches from top of phone to bottom?

Those could block degrade signal. Those cases that have a metallic part on the back but leave the top and bottom part non-metallic are ok. Those which are metallic on the entire back can cause decrease in reception.

If you are seeing this kind of signal degradation (ie 4G, LTE, wifi) everywhere you go, I would suggest you go into Apple and get a replacement phone, since you are only 1 week into this phone.

If you have good reception else where but not your primary place of residence, the you should call at&t support and report it.

The iphone has a field test mode, dial *3001#12345#* and you will see your antenna's reception in a numeric value, which would be more precise when reporting trouble tickets.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/20/field-test-mode-iphone-signal-strength-numbers/

Oct 7, 2013 6:48 PM in response to acesinica

I have a case-mate naked tough case. It's a rubber clear bumper with a clear plastic case that goes over that. It's happening everywhere. Meanwhile, they want me to do all this troubleshooting of Resetting Network Settings to see if that works, then restoring my phone as a new phone to see if that helps, etc, etc... and I'm gonna get locked into a contract in the process. I've already contacted Best Buy corporate via Twitter and emailed Tim Cook to see if anyone will do anything to resolve this matter before my 14 days are up.

Oct 7, 2013 7:29 PM in response to eriknokc

I would eject the SIM, check the metallic part of the SIM to see if there are any oily finger prints.

Then I would wipe it down gently with a slightly wet cloth, then blow it dry. Next I would use a can of compressed air and blow a little bit into the open slot hole.

The above is for the possibility of dirty contact between the SIM and the SIM reader, because you mentioned the phone complained about not reading the SIM.

But I don't think contacting Best Buy via Twitter or emailing Tim Cook would help this situation. A more practical approach, is to go back to where you purchased the phone, and tell them you need an exchange. If they are out of stock, then you must ask them to order the replacement for you and have the record show the date on which it was ordered.

Wish you good luck! 🙂

Oct 12, 2013 3:56 AM in response to eriknokc

My iPhone 5s and my wife's iPhone 5 are BOTH having this same problem. Phones randomly go to No service! then Searching, then 3-4 bars. I do not have LTE at my home. However, if we turn LTE off in settings, the problem goes away completely and we get consistent 3-4 bars. The instant we turn LTE on, the phone drops to 1 bar, then usually No Service, then searching, then it will pick up a signal, then randomly drop out again.

So it's not an iPhone 5s specific issue. It happened with iOS 6 (on my wife's phone and my iphone 5) AND iOS 7 (both are currently on 7) so it's not specific to either iOS flavor.

We never get any message about the sim. Reinstalling SW has no effect. Resetting network settings has no effect. Turning off LTE "solves" the problem. Seems there is some sort of software glitch with the iphone looking for LTE when none is available? Odd, annoying problem. I don't like leaving LTE off, as all cities in our area have LTE, so it's useful when I leave home. For now I'll have to deal with it manually until Apple finds and resolves the problem. My worry is that I see VERY few complaints, I'm afraid Apple is ignoring us.

Zhe Wiz

Oct 12, 2013 8:05 AM in response to eriknokc

Wife and I just upgraded from 4S to 5S bought the phones and switched to TMobile from ATT for cost purposes. Signal varies from 1-2 bars to no service both phones. TMobile purports to have excellent or very strong signals in my house area - thought it was TMobile but based on what I read, it may be the phone instead. Had great coverage at home with 4S on ATT - waited 2 years for this upgrade, feel like I got coal in my stocking. *****!

Oct 12, 2013 5:01 PM in response to eriknokc

I did finally get my phone exchanged. Although I am not having the SIM error message, I am having other issues still. My phone is switching from LTE to 4G, EDGE or No Service in places that my iPhone 5 never did. I am also having a lot of issues with apps crashing. Safari, Mail, Calendar, Facebook and Twitter crash on a regular basis. I have done all the troubleshooting, but nothing helps. Things like new communication chips, different inside layout, etc could possibly impact service, but it's not very likely that it's a network issue. If a network issue was causing problems, then all customers with iOS7 would be complaining and/or the online news sites would be full of stories of customer compaints.

I can still go back to Best Buy and exchange my phone, but my options are an iPhone 5C or switch to Android or Windows Phone. Unfortunately, I am unable get out of my contract because the 14th day was on the day I exchanged my phone. If I were to switch to a 5C, that means I just extended my contract and paid a $36 upgrade fee to basically end up with the same phone I already had. I can only hope that this is a software issue and can be fixed with an update, because that's the only way I would keep this phone. In any case, I am so frustrated that I wish I would have kept my iPhone 5 and never upgraded. I never thought I would feel this way about an Apple device.

Oct 12, 2013 6:18 PM in response to eriknokc

eriknokc wrote:

I can still go back to Best Buy and exchange my phone, but my options are an iPhone 5C or switch to Android or Windows Phone. Unfortunately, I am unable get out of my contract because the 14th day was on the day I exchanged my phone. If I were to switch to a 5C, that means I just extended my contract and paid a $36 upgrade fee to basically end up with the same phone I already had.

Why does this mean you would have to switch to a 5C or Droid/Windows phone?

Just take the device to Apple for evaluation. If they determine that there is a hardware issue they will replace the device with the same model/capacity/color 5S on the spot.

Oct 12, 2013 6:25 PM in response to diesel vdub

Because there isn't a hardware issue. I just took it to the Genius Bar and it passed all the diagnostics. That means there is a software issue or it's a faulty design, and I don't want to keep a phone that doesn't work properly. So my options for getting a phone that works properly are what I described, or I wait and hope that it's a software issue that can be fixed with an update.

iPhone 5S Signal Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.