Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the Radio Stations in iTunes Radio?

Am I missing something?

Where are the radio stations in iTunes Radio. Would like to listen to my out of town sports and news stations.

If cannot happen makes no sense to call this iTunes Radio?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 2:16 PM

49 replies

Jul 13, 2017 5:05 AM in response to Alethia1

I tried to find internet radio in iTunes 12.6.1.25 (a cumbersome, frustrating function in older iTunes versions). ...not to be found as you discovered, but I found iTunes instructions (in my Italian program) for listening to internet radio. I should simply do what I have always done and google my way to foreign stations (Bayrische Rundfunk, France Musique, Oesterreich 1 for example) and listen to them directly. This seems to be what iTunes assistance really wants me to do, and their old system for finding stations was really quite awkward. If you want iTunes to play your station, perform a copy of the web address (URL) go to the iTunes menu to File < Open Streaming (my translation from the Italian) and paste in that url. Probably iTunes would have a way of remembering that url, although radio-station urls have a way of changing over time.

Jul 13, 2017 12:56 PM in response to Fred Davenport

Its a bit tedious to start, but at this site, you can either listen by clicking the link, or, hover over the link, nad note the link in your word program. Then cut and paste the link, and fill in the site ID, and paste this into the ITunes stream link.

http://dir.xiph.org/by_format/AAC+

Like this > /XXXXXXX/listen.m3u

Acid Radio

http://dir.xiph.org/listen/2406285/listen.m3u

Where XXXXXXXX

is the station ID.

Hope this helps

Dec 29, 2013 11:38 AM in response to Fred Davenport

It works, Joe Gramm. You said:

"You need to activate the Button in iTunes Preferences. Go to iTunes Preferences/General/Show/Select: Internet Radio"

Now when I click on "Music" in the left bar, the menu bar now includes a selection labled (rather unintuitively) "Internet" which is separate from "Radio" and allows me to connect to my out of town radio stations. This is the solution I was looking for.

Apr 8, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Fred Davenport

To clarify, the list of radio stations shows up as "Internet" on the horizontal menu bar, not below the Music drop-down menu. You can then create a new Playlist for each radio station you wish to access on a regular basis. Just drag the radio station into the Playlist box that appears on the right.

The problem with this solution is that it garbles your collections of music and radio stations. Almost untenable.

Obviously, Apple is doing what it can to make free items that compete with its commercial fare less accessible.

This stuff and podcasts should properly be on top.

Apr 8, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Bob Jacobson

Hi Bob,

I think that you were thinking that "iTunes Radio" proper... is the same thing as iTunes Internet radio - the one that has sports talk radio stations available for your listening pleasure. It's not. I think that you are reading more into the situation than is truly warranted because I think that iTunes Internet radio was already available before they even came up with iTunes Radio.

iTunes Radio as touted within the iTunes Store is the one that you have to have Mac OS X Lion at the least to listen to. I've never had it because I run Snow Leopard. My guess is that iTunes Radio probably has much less commercials.

Anyway, the internet radio offerings found within iTunes that you can enable within the iTunes/Preferences/General Preferences/ (then select checkbox for Internet Radio) is simply not the same thing. I think that those stations are simply stations that can be found by using either a browser or through iTunes.

Cheers,

mm~

Apr 8, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Michael, I know the difference between the services. I have been accessing Internet-available radio stations since iTunes was first introduced. It used to be very easy to find Internet-available radio stations. Apple has complicated the situation with its mashup, iTunes Radio, and by burying the real radio stations under two or three layers of commands. I'm now back to normal (for me): a Playlist folder retitled "Internet Radio" full of links to Internet-available radio stations -- and no iTunes Radio. I don't share Apple's tastes in anything.

Where are the Radio Stations in iTunes Radio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.