Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound / Audio issues with Google Chrome

Hi guys,

I have this audio issue with a new Macbook Air (2013 base model).

When I stream audio / video (eg podcast, YouTube, NBATV) via Google Chrome, there is the static or clicking sound which you could hear both through the built in speakers and through the headset.

Brought it in to the Apple Store yesterday and they acknowledged the sound on Chrome. HOWEVER when using Safari, this clicking / static sound is no longer audible. I can probably record an audio clip to demo this further. The genius concoluded that this is probably an issues with Chrome or codecs that its using rather than the actual laptop. No replacements at this stage.

I have an old MBA 11” where this issue does NOT occur.

The hesitation in using Safari is Flash. Some video streams such as NBATV, which I watch quite frequently use Flash. Chrome handles this quite well, with no separate installs required.

Has anyone else encountered this? Not sure if I can pursue this issue further with Apple.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 3:53 PM

18 replies

Apr 30, 2017 1:38 AM in response to bugoy8

i had static in my audio output (lighting to HDMI) after osx update to sierra. internal speaker was fine and sometimes the audio would fix itself if i plugged in headphones or opened new windows but the issue would suddenly happen again in the middle of a video. strange thing was Firefox was fine. Just Chrome was affected.

what fixed it for me was changing the "Audio MIDI Setup" . under the HDMI section i had to chage the Format: to

8ch 24 bit interger 96.0 kHz. anything above that gave me static over the audio issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 15, 2013 3:43 PM in response to bugoy8

I have bought a new MacBook Air 13.3" base model, a couple of days back; I have discovered this problem today, at first I thought the problem perse, was with MBA's audio output, but then I observed that the sound was crystal clear in VLC, some more testing (Safari and Spotify) made me realize that it was indeed a problem with Chrome.

As you said one of the problems with Safari is Flash; also, I have a lot of things setup in Chrome and that makes it the best personalised browser for me; and Safari cannot satiate my needs in that regard!

I am really glad that I am not the only one having this problem, and would love to see it get addressed, possibly by some software tweak (as the problem is not with the hardware). I am sure that there is a Chrome specific forum somewhere, for this specific problem, where an immediate resolution of this problem would be more probable. Only if I wasn't lazy enough to find it myself and start a thread over there. 😀

Oct 15, 2013 4:01 PM in response to bugoy8

Chrome shockwave flash plugin issue causing sound problems on the macbook:

Shockwave Flash 11.5 r31 (old version)
Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502

disabling r31 solved it.

Many people have checked their chrome plugins and found they had two plugins enabled. They disabled the older one and audio is perfect.

-Go to chrome://plugins
-Click and expand +Details in the Upper Right
-Check over the flash files.
-One is version 11.3.31.222
-Disable the odd version and reload the flash content

For some reason, CHROME has allowed two flash plugins to be enabled at the same time, and clearly the older version is the one causing the problems.

go to "Chrome://plugins" tab. Click “Details” at the upper-right corner of the page.

Find “Shockwave Flash” listing for the integrated plug-in on the page and click the corresponding “Disable” button. To identify the integrated plug-in, see the table of plug-in filenames above.

Find the “Flash” (or “Shockwave Flash”) listing for the system plug-in on the page and click the corresponding “Enable” button. To identify the system plug-in, see the table of plug-in filenames above.

disablingShockwave Flash 11.4 r31 resolved the problem for most people.

When people double checked: if they re-enable Shockwave Flash 11.4 r31, ....the distorted / broken audio happens again.

Hope that solves it for you 😍

Oct 15, 2013 4:28 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

User uploaded file

My Chrome did detect two flash plugins, but they both were of the same version, 11.9.900.117. I did try disabling one version while keeping the other enabled, but that is of no avail in solving this problem.

Moreover I believe the problem is not with Flash, but the audio codecs. I believe so because the same problem is persistent with HTML5 videos (note, that this is even after disabling all the Flash plugins).

Oct 24, 2013 3:12 PM in response to faridfxx

faridfxx

And I thought glitchy computer days were over when I moved to Mac from PC.

Mac / Apple isnt to blame for issues dealing with Chrome specifically 😊

There never has and never will be any operating system that will work with the 100 Million + applications out there designed and updated and changed on a daily basis by every Tom, Bob, Sue, and Larry.

Jan 17, 2014 11:47 AM in response to seajay77

I tried all of the above abd notbhing worked. This DID work.

Browse to /Library/Application Support/Google/

You may see some extra files...

/Chrome/

/GoogleTalkPlugin.app

/GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller.app

If you have this installed: GoogleTalkPlugin.app

Run this: GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller.app

On running that app, it removed a long-forgotten Google Voice tool that had hooks into the audio functions of Chrome when Chrome is running, and that tended to cause the cracking and distortion of all other system audio, even with a blank tab. VERY annoying to diagnose, but not now it's fully resolved for me.

JB

Sound / Audio issues with Google Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.