Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pointer gone crazy on my MacBook Pro

My pointer has gone crazy, it goes all over the page by itself opening stuff. I can't control it, with the mouse or track pad.

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 4:27 AM

Jumpy Trackpad

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1449

Is there any Bluetooth device nearby with failing batteries?

8 replies

Oct 9, 2013 1:30 PM in response to omcknight

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article, and also this one, if applicable.

2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.

3. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced without delay.

7. Some people have reported that they fixed a malfunctioning trackpad by pressing down on all four corners at once. I can't confirm, but it does no harm to try.

8. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built-in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

9. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

10. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think that your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

11. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine and/or external trackpad tested.

Oct 11, 2013 9:24 AM in response to omcknight

Hi,

I'm having the same problem and as guessed one of the causes is a swollen battery that makes it hard to click. Of course you could follow instruction number 6 and "replace the battery without delay" or you can remove the back with the correct size torx driver (look up "how to remove macbook battery"), remove the battery and squash it back into shape with judicious use of a kwikclamp (which I used), G-clamp or a vice. The battery was on its' last legs anyway but I could run with it plugged in full-time. Got another year out of it so far, looks like it's time for another squeeze....

Oct 20, 2013 9:27 PM in response to omcknight

This happens on my 2009 MacBook from time to time, seemingly with no reason at all. Usually it fixes itself within a few hours though. Once it lasted for days, and I followed somebody else's advice: repair disk permissions. And like magic, the craziness stopped. If yours is not due to anything else mentioned here, try it; you have nothing to lose. Good luck!

Feb 11, 2014 2:22 PM in response to omcknight

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank the Lord! My mouse cursor was moving erratically, seemed to be opening tabs, maybe doing the equivalent of holding shift and dragging, minimized windows, etc. Pretty much the same problems I see on other's posts.

I tried dissonnecting WI-FI, then shutting off Bluetooth, Disconnected and Turned off my Bluetooth Mouse, disconnected my wireless keyboard nub from the USB port, tried shutting off my Macbook and restrarting. I even shut the lid of my Macbook and worked off my second monitor in clamshell mode. NOTHING WORKED.

I thought I was hacked or had some type of Malware for sure, but it was a simple fix that I found on another help board.

I clean my Mac, keyboard and mouse regularly and had just got done wiping everything with a cloth with a mixture of warm water and rubbing alcohol (recommended)

I saw on another board that someone fixed their problem by moving their trackpad (gently) to the right, since the trackpad seemed to be too snug on the left side of the macbook body edge it sits in.

I moved the trackpad over and it took care of my problem immediately.

It was comforting to learn that Malware on a Mac is in fact still rare and that it is unlikely that someone would hack into your computer to 'remote control' your machine and be obvious about it.

No ghost in the machine. Trackpad is incredibly sensiitive I've learned.

Share the knowledge!

Blessings!

Pointer gone crazy on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.