Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I turn off cellular data for some apps

Greetings,

Since upgrading to IOS 7 on my Iphone 4S, I find that it has reset my cellular data settings.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 4:35 PM

I finally figured out how to turn on and off cellular data services on my ipad mini 4. First, Setting - General - restriction- enter your restriction code - found "ALLOW CHANGES" part - cellular data use - turn on. Now you back to setting and click cellular data, you will find all apps you are able to turn on or off individually to use cellular data.

I guess the whole problem was caused by the cellular data services company - In my case this is T-mobile. When I insert sim card to my ipad mini 4, it stated updating cellular services setting. I guess this is where the setting was changed in restriction part to turn off cellular data change. I am glad I finally figured out. Hope this helps.

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2017 4:35 PM in response to johnfromchinalake

I finally figured out how to turn on and off cellular data services on my ipad mini 4. First, Setting - General - restriction- enter your restriction code - found "ALLOW CHANGES" part - cellular data use - turn on. Now you back to setting and click cellular data, you will find all apps you are able to turn on or off individually to use cellular data.

I guess the whole problem was caused by the cellular data services company - In my case this is T-mobile. When I insert sim card to my ipad mini 4, it stated updating cellular services setting. I guess this is where the setting was changed in restriction part to turn off cellular data change. I am glad I finally figured out. Hope this helps.

Oct 9, 2013 8:33 AM in response to johnfromchinalake

Sorry.. hit return too soon.

In particular, it turned on the cellular data for my music app, and I can't shut it off again. When I click it to the "off" position, as soon as I leave the cellular data screen, it resets to being back on. This behavior has survived numerous reboots and 2 system updates.

My craigslist app also claims that cellular data is off when it's checked as being on, but I can't turn it off and back on again for the same reason.

Thank you

John

Oct 9, 2013 8:34 AM in response to johnfromchinalake

johnformchinalake,

iOS 7 is not an update to the previous iOS 6 it is a whole new OS which is why it resets all settings. Some of the apps have to be updated to be compatible w/ iOS 7 which should come from the App Developers. Similar to (if you are familiar w/ Windows) when Windows Vista came out alot of the Apps and Harware suddenly became incompatible w/ the new OS.

Check to see if the App Developers have put out an update.

Hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2013 6:30 AM in response to mmitha

Hi mmitha,

I did that. It didn't work. Unfortunately, it actually made things worse.

Not only can I not set the music app so it doesn't use cellular data, but now all my itunes Match music is gone and has to be re-downloaded. I hadn't thought about that. since I can't set the app not to use cellular data, I have to make sure to set the music to download in chunks that can definitely be done over the wi-fi overnight or I'll overrun my plan limit.

craigspro also still doesn't turn off.

thank you,

John

Nov 15, 2013 6:57 AM in response to RuneJherd

Sorry.

I just finally gave up.

at this point it's a bit of a bummer because I haven't been able to use my itunes Match, for fear it will try to download songs while I'm away from my network.

Turned out the problem with craigspro not working is onavo. the problem with it not being able to shut off and turn on cellular data? still apple I'd imagine.

Nov 26, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Tried this already and doesn't help.

Problem is that after I shut down celular data for some apps, as soon as I leave the "celular data screen" it resets to being back "ON". 😕

⚠ NOTE : I've tried already to Reboot my iPhone, update it to last iOS (7.0.4), update my apps and also reseted all Settings and iPhone to default, and also tried to turn application "ON" and then turn "OFF" celular data for it, and these didn't help.

why can't I turn off cellular data for some apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.