Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Speakers not available in Audio Output

I have a 17 inch i7 Intel Chip 2010 MacBookPro running OS 10.8.5 that works correctly in all respects except that my Built-in Speakers stopped working. My Built-in Speakers worked perfectly until...

I was using Rosetta Stone software and it required plugging in (and using) the included USB mic/headset. The Rosetta software gave instructions to Open Preferences/Audio and choose the USB mic/headset as the input/output device (this muted the built-in speakers on my MacBookPro.

After completing the lesson, I unplugged the USB mic/headset and plugged in my external speakers into the Audio OUT port. Since I could hear the audio through the external speakers, I forgot to reset any settings in the Preference/Audio window.

When I disconnected the external speakers, and restarted my MacBookPro, I heard the Startup Chime (so I knew the speakers work) but, when I tried to listen to ANY audio through the Built-in speakers (from iTunes, video, clips from the internet, etc.) no audio was heard. Remembering I had to change back the audio settings, I opened Preferences/Audio/Output and the ONLY selection listed under Name/Type was Digital Out/Optical digital-out port. The Mute Box is unchecked and the Volume Curser is grayed out. There were NO OTHER options available so, Built-in Speakers was no longer an option. Without that option, I can't "choose" the Internal Speakers to turn them "on".

I have reset PRAM and SMC Power Management 4-5 times with no success. I have used Disk Utility to "VerifyRepair Permissions" (which was needed) and also checked "Verify Disk" (which didn't find anything wrong).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 1:47 PM

same problem my macbook air 13' output audio no found..... help me what can i do...

User uploaded file

32 replies

Oct 10, 2013 1:39 AM in response to RolfMendez

I tried ONE MORE TIME to plug in and unplug my iPhone ear buds WHILE I was watching the Preferences/Audio/Output window and it SWITCHED TO INTERNAL SPEAKERS!

I tried playing music in iTunes and it worked! So, IT'S WORKING!

So now what is my Mac's prognosis? I usually plug in my external speakers to the Audio OUT port so, if I have a sticking Digital Out Port SWITCH, I'm thinking this can happen again. Is there any preventive maintenance I can perform?

Oct 10, 2013 2:05 AM in response to RolfMendez

sound output issue could be 10.8 NOT hardware

In my case

Have already been through dead internal drive, new power supply, top half of screen is dimming.

I have both 10.8.5 and 10.6.8 external boot drives.

I only went to 10.8 because Apple won't accept iPhoto orders from older versions anymore.

iMac 7,1 - 3gb

10.8.5 - itunes 11.1.1

10.6.8 - itunes 11.1.1

I also use Audio Hijack Pro for general sound enhancement and SRS iWow in iTunes

with 2 small Sony SRS-88 powered speakers

Was using 10.8 and all of a sudden sound went flaky. Sound control panel showed it constantly switching back and forth from internal to headphone with the sound actually reversed - i.e. speakers plugged in, played through internal speakers - with no speakers, no sound.

Tried some of the suggestions - zap pram, permissions, audio midi, etc. - no joy.

Rebooted into 10.6.8 and everything works fine.

Rebooted into 10.8.5 and everything works fine so far.

I wonder if Apple has too many ex-Microsoft people doing systems work.

Lightspeed2008

Apr 14, 2017 7:25 PM in response to RolfMendez

This problem drove me crazy with my 17" Macbook Pro as well. The solution is to trigger the on/off switch built into the audio out jack that controls the switch-over to optical out. I think there was considerable dust and lint inside the audio jack that I sucked out with a desoldering pump. Before I used this technique my computer audio out was continually switching from internal speakers to optical out and back. This fixed the problem.

Oct 31, 2017 9:46 AM in response to harraz2008

I have the same screen as you. Neither the internal speakers nor the headphones show as output devices on the Sound screen. The only way I can get sound is if I plug in the HDMI to the TV. That it recognizes.

I have been trawling the support pages (which are terrible) to no avail. I tried a chat with a support rep but gave up after waiting for over 20 mins.

Oct 10, 2013 12:47 AM in response to RolfMendez

Your audio out plug may be stuck in digital out mode. You can USUALLY 'see' if this is the case if a red light is evident in the port. Even if it's not, you may want to plug/unplug a jack from your headphones, etc., to try to reset the switch (some people have also successfully used a toothpick to 'flip the switch').

If that doesn't fix the problem, call back...

Clinton

Oct 10, 2013 1:22 AM in response to RolfMendez

Well, I looked INSIDE the Audio OUT port and yes, I could a red light on (the optical audio laser). It doesn't STAY lit.

When I open Preferences/Audio/Output, it still reads Digital Out/Optical digital-out port until I plug in my Mac iPhone earplugs; then it changes to Headphones.

But, when I unplug the earplugs, it goes back to the Digital Out setting. Using a round toothpick to "probe" the interior of the Audio Out port (with the end cut off the end of the toothpick to give me a "flat" end, didn't change anything. So, any other suggestions?

Internal Speakers not available in Audio Output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.