Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Godaddy outgoing server issues on MacBook!

I use godaddy for my comany's email. I have a few employees and we are all having problems with the outgoing server. Incoming is no problem but outgoing keeps timing out. We are all using differenct ISPs. I spent 2 hours on the phone with godaddy and they're telling me the issue is on my end. Anyone else experiencing anything similar? My IPhone and IPad are sending without issues but my MacBook Pro sends sporaradically. One of my employees is having problems on his Mac Book and IPad. The workspace login site is funtioning fine. I'm at the end of my rope! Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 8:22 AM

26 replies

Oct 22, 2013 5:26 AM in response to colleensp

I also have had a nightmare with this problem. My gmail outbound works fine but my 3 godaddy accounts receive mail but show outbound SMTP servers offline. I called GoDaddy and they said Mac problem, apple support says godaddy problem. The only thing that has worked sporadically is when I get send error I edit server ports to change to one of the three below that GoDaddy provided:

465 - with SSL

25, 80 or 3535 without SSL

The problem is more on my MacBook then iPad or iPhone however it has occurred on the latter two as well.

Any other suggestions here???

Oct 22, 2013 6:10 AM in response to CPDC

I'm going on 3 weeks with this issue and it's still not resolved. I am editing the ports as well which is the only thing that seems to work but it's hardly a good solution. The change of ports doesn't necessarily work right away either. I often need to leave the eamil in my outbox and try to send later. Major hassle. I am also experiencing this issue more on on my MacBook than my iPad and iPhone but I rarely email from the iPad. I email quite often from the iPhone though and I may have had to change ports once or twice in the 3 weeks. I am at a total loss. I don't have time to sit on the phone with GoDaddy when I have little confidence they're going to to resolve this. CPDC- Please keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same!

Nov 11, 2013 7:29 AM in response to colleensp

This is not a Mac problem.

We use Windows and are having the same / similar problem(s) with godaddy email. We use the Thunderbird mail client and early October is when we first started noticing the problems (had been fine before that) .

SMTP outbound fails intermittently and error messaes indicate the SMTP server cannot be found or similar message. It has failed in the middle of an outgoing batch several times (when SMTP server has obviously been "found" - and sometimes it will complete the batch and leave one or two sitting in the outbound folder. Changing port settings has no effect on this intermittent problem.

Godaddy says there is no problem and suggests we use Godaddy webmail instead of Thunderbird - which is not convenient since we simultaneously manage 10 or so mailboxes for different domains - and the Godaddy webmail interface has become very slow to load. We do access webmail from android phones and, except for the slowness, the outbound from webmail does function. If we find a resolution we'll share here since this does not feel like an OS or ISP issue.

Nov 11, 2013 7:39 AM in response to Thoughtnot

Thanks very much for posting this Thoughtnot. Every time I am able to get godaddy on the phone (after being on hold for no less than 20 minutes) they run diagnostics and claim to be unable to find anything wrong on their end. They claim that if the problem was on their end the workspace login would not be funtioning properly. Also, they say that I need to call when the problem is occuring. Since it is an intermittent issue they claim they can't do anything unless the problem is occuring while I'm on the phone with them. I tried calling them in the midst of the issue 2 weeks ago but I was on hold for over 30 minutes and gave up. The problem has been less frequent lately but it is certainly not solved. The only solution seems to be to get rid of godaddy! Please keep me posted if you learn anything! Thanks!!!

Nov 11, 2013 10:48 AM in response to colleensp

Support folks at GoDaddy are generally nice to work with but some are much better than others. Try connecting with sales line instead of tech support line - they all provide support but I seem to hit folks on the sales line who have more knowledge and experience overall. The way I'm hearing this you are using the workspace desktop tool which opens godaddy webmail in your default web browser. Correct? If so that elimiates any ISP as the culprit. If I'm on track then emailing activity you are having a problem with is all taking place on the godaddy server while you are using their website email interface. We've experienced issues with things like buttons and links not working consistently in control panels on Godaddy depending on the web browser we are using and find it is better for us to use Firefox or Chrome than IE. Perhaps that could be an issue with email as well. So .. if I am on the correct track and if you use Safari or IE try switching to using Chrome or Firefox (not forever but for a while to test) and see if that makes a difference. That is just a shot in the dark. I wish I had somthing more constructive to offer.

Feb 21, 2014 6:26 AM in response to colleensp

I have nothing to add to info that has already been posted, I just wanted to say I also have these issues.

I work on a Mac using Outlook, multiple email addresses, all of them work perfectly except my GoDaddy email.

I have 5 other employees, all of them use PC's with Outlook. 3 of them run multiple email addresses and 2 only have their GoDaddy email. All 5 of them have the same issue specifically with the GoDaddy email.

I have spent a bit of time on the phone with GD but we have literally made 0 ground figuring out what the issue is.

Mar 15, 2014 3:49 PM in response to colleensp

I was frustrated with this myself and could not get help from go daddy. So I think I figured it out:

On a computer not a mobile device:

First go to: https://login.secureserver.net/ and login in with your go daddy account.

Then under email tab go to Tools -> Mobile Mail

Click More at the top then Settings. Check your time zone, mine was wrong, I corrected it and it fixed all the outgoing mail problems on the iphone with the standard go daddy smtp settings.

Hope this helps.

Mar 16, 2014 7:11 AM in response to nbifulco

My time zone was correct. The problem is intermittent so, sorry to sound pessimistic, but it's a safe bet you'll encounter the problem again. I hope to be off godaddy as soon as I find an affordable alternative. I was recently at the Apple store and they genuis guy told me he hears these complaints all the time. During my last call with godaddy the rep told me that godaddy offers the workspace login to be used as the email client (I never have a problem with this) and the ability to access email via mobile devices or other clients is offered as a 'courtesey.' He basically told me I as on my own if I was having issues with MacMail. They don't see it as their problem because workspace login is functioning fine.

Changing the outgoing ports is the only thing that works but requires a lot of patience

465 - with SSL

25, 80 or 3535 without SSL

Mar 16, 2014 9:48 AM in response to colleensp

colleensp - The problem is with godaddy. Convincing them of that is one thing. Getting them to do anything about it is another. Since the beginning of 2014 GoDaddy is no longer selling the webmail product and all mention of webmail is gone from the site menus. There was no notification to existing webmail customers. We stumbled on this change when trying to buy additional webmail mailboxes. For all new customers they are offering MS Office 365. Period. As of my last conversation with them I learned that when purchasing new domains you'll recieve one forwarding email address - no mailbox. The only way for new customers to have a domain mailbox with them is to subscribe to Office 365. We have multiple domains with webmail, an unlimited webmail account - and cost to renew those existing services has tripled since this change. The GoDaddy CEO comes to Godaddy from Microsoft and the Office 365 is a big push with Microsoft marketers and costs more than webmail - so our guess is that the next thing in this progression will be for godaddy to discontinue webmail entirely. We are currently looking for alternatives.

May 22, 2014 2:53 PM in response to miabob123

GoDaddy has advised me today that their outgoing SMTP port "80" does not work anymore. They have advised me to switch to "3535". Since the switch, everything has been working great.

I hope that this helps!

PS: I would love to hear of any Apple-quality alternatives to GoDaddy for those of us that want webmail and a POP 3 email account. Thanks!

Godaddy outgoing server issues on MacBook!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.