Skip navigation

Macbook Pro - Folder w/Question Mark; Internet Recovery

24093 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2014 2:33 AM by cassilup RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Ron497 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 11, 2013 5:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a 13" Macbook Pro that I purchased (new) in February 2013.

Yesterday I was working on it with an external mouse plugged into one USB, a bicycle light charger plugged into the other USB, and an external monitor connected in that port with the Apple connector, plus the power cord was plugged in. I had Word documents open, an Excel doc as well, plus iTunes running, and I had Chrome open as my browser. I had to quickly leave so unplugged all of them quickly, then closed the cover.

A few hours later when I opened the computer I had no cursor. I gave it a few minutes to "wake up" but nothing happened. I then turned the computer off with the power button. When it came back on I had a folder with a question mark and it was blinking.

In looking through the discussion forums, I tried holding down the Control button. This too me to Internet Recovery. Now I'm at the OS X Utilities and it has four options: Restore from Time Machine, Reinstall OS X, Get Help Online, or Disk Utility.

I back up the computer frequently with T.M. to an external HD, but I'd rather not erase the HD and start over.

I have seen some suggest resetting the PRAM when this issue occurs. As the computer was not dropped, I hope it was more of an overload issue when I unplugged so many things at once and shut it down.

I am definitely not a skilled computer fixer, so wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge could offer the best steps to take.

Thank you!

Mac Pro
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.