Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 battery drops to 20% from around 40% suddenly

My iPhone 5, with iOS 7, now has some battery issues. All of a sudden, its battery percentage can drop from around 40% to 20% and pops up the Low Battery notification.

Then I connected the phone to its charger, and in a very short time, maybe 30s, the battery is back to 43%! Isn't this magic? LOL.

Apple supporters, could you either provide solutions or explanations? I think this is to do with the SW?

Best regards,

Leo

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2017 6:42 AM

This happens to me as well. My iPhone 5 dropped from 100% to 24% within a matter of 5 seconds. Then, 2 seconds later, it died. The charging is a challenge too. When it died, I plugged it in for 45 minutes and it finally went to 1%. ON the other hand, the other day when it was at 18% it jumped to 84%! My point is, the battery is crap. Just crap. And I think I may know why. If you would like some VERY helpful pointers on how to save battery life, go to the link, http://www.tinyurl.com/lksjxnb (the 'I' can be a i or L). This amazing website tells you all you need to know to go through the whole day without having to charge your phone. :-)

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2017 6:42 AM in response to leonard.dk

This happens to me as well. My iPhone 5 dropped from 100% to 24% within a matter of 5 seconds. Then, 2 seconds later, it died. The charging is a challenge too. When it died, I plugged it in for 45 minutes and it finally went to 1%. ON the other hand, the other day when it was at 18% it jumped to 84%! My point is, the battery is crap. Just crap. And I think I may know why. If you would like some VERY helpful pointers on how to save battery life, go to the link, http://www.tinyurl.com/lksjxnb (the 'I' can be a i or L). This amazing website tells you all you need to know to go through the whole day without having to charge your phone. :-)

Nov 8, 2013 9:26 AM in response to leonard.dk

Another one here. Got exactly the same problem. Battery life is ALL OVER the place since the upgrade to iOS 7. It's been even worse with the subsequent point releases.

Do you think this is just a ploy to make us upgrade to a 5s or 5c? haha.

But seriously... fix this Apple.

Things I have done already:

Turned off and on again

Restarted

Reset

Restored

Optimised battery life (within reason): Turned off fancy animations, screen brightness, bluetooth, background refresh, push, and location services. I'm not using LTE, only 3G and Wi-Fi.

Basically, from full charge, the battery drops to 90% in standby after around 1.5 hours. That's when I'm not even touching the phone.

Fix please

Nov 8, 2013 10:56 AM in response to leonard.dk

This happens to me as well.

Today, my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.3, went from 35% battery to 1% battery in 3 minutes and then it trned itself off. When I plugged it in, the phone came back on with an initial battery level of 35%.

This is the 3rd time it's happened to me. I suspect it's a software problem because my battery is in great shape and this behavior only started with the 7.0.3 software update.

Nov 12, 2013 5:59 PM in response to leonard.dk

Same here, after the ios7 upgrade, my iphone 5 has the most erratic battery patterns.

1) With out much use the battery drops to about 50% in a few hours (2-3 hrs)

2) Then the battery suddenly drops to anywhere from 4-15% from 25-35% after a single call, or opening a single webpage.

3) Restarting the phone would show 20% for a few min or until the next call/use.

3) This is after following all the possible battery saving tricks that I could find on the internet!, basically everything fancy in the iphone disabled 😟 One would have thought the whole purpose of the phone over a basic model would be to use all these features. sad.

I was worried that it was a genuine battery malfunction until I came across this thread a few weeks ago, and now the problem has gotten so bad that I decided to post about it.

Apple, please respond, at the very least acknowlegde the problem.

Thank you.

Nov 21, 2013 1:48 AM in response to leonard.dk

Okay... so after much experimenting, I think I found a solution:

The other day, I decided to just let my battery run down to the end and my phone turn off.

As usual, it dropped from 40% to 20%... and then from 19% to 5%. I started to get a little worried.

Then... amazingly, it remained on 1% for over 3 hours of CONSTANT use. I had the screen on, internet working, sending What'sApp messages and checking emails.

It eventually turned off. I put it on a full charge, and now the battery meter is a lot more realistic. It still has sudden drops, but nowhere near as bad as before... and even when it gets down to the warning levels, it works fine (yesterday I had it at 16% for over an hour before it went down to a lower number).

So, in short - use the **** out of it... discharge it completely, recharge, and pray it worked like mine did.

Good luck

Nov 21, 2013 1:58 AM in response to Mo_Jiwa

LOL! I have experienced a similar situation as you have. I even took a screenshot of my phone having only 1% of battery, which I have never seen before. Amazing. But I didn't leave the phone there until all the power is drained. I think I should have done that as you did. I will try your "solution".

Thanks for sharing the info :-)

Nov 21, 2013 6:54 AM in response to leonard.dk

Glad it kind of worked for you, but I've had no such luck. It's hard to drain a battery all the way down when it shuts down with some percentage still in the tank, over and over. I got in the habbit of cycling the battery (draining it all the way down and then charging all the way up) a few times a month when the 3G came out. It is/was propper battery maintenance according to Apples site.

For the record, here's what I've tried and in order:

• ~Tried~ to completely cycle the battery a few times
  • Deleted all apps that were loaded or updated within a few days of when the problem started
  • also deleted Facebook since it's a known battery hog
  • Hard restart while plugged in to an outlet
  • Updated to iOS 7.0.4
  • Did an iOS restore as the Apple support page suggests (https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action)
  • Cycled the battery

After all this my battery meter is still not quite right. My phone has not unexpectedly shut down after all this though. If I don't touch my phone the meter shows what I, and Apples site, would consider normal battery drain. But the second I start using the phone for anything it drains quite fast, faster as it gets lower. The last 30% can drain in about 30 minutes by just texting, emails, browsing Safari or reading twitter.

Nov 27, 2013 5:02 AM in response to leonard.dk

Let me add myself to this list of people who have experienced this behavior with their iPhone 5. When the battery gets to about 41% it will shortly make a sudden drop to 20% and quickly go down into the single digits.

When I know I'm going to be out all day and using the phone heavily I use a UNU case so I can recharge my phone. The standard procedure is to wait until it reaches 20% and then start the battery on the case to recharge the phone. Today, I think I'll take the advice I've read here and let it drain completely before I start a recharge and see what happens.

Also, while I believe that Apple monitors these discussion boards, they will never respond to a post. Never. Ever. If a thread has enough participants, I believe the issue gets escalated to engineering for investigation, so let's hope that there are enough people who are experiencing this problem that this thread will get somone's attention.

iPhone 5 battery drops to 20% from around 40% suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.