Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 5 does not recognize my certified apple lightning cable

my iphone 5 cable which hours before was charging my phone, has suddenly decided to go invalid. The cable is the same, its the one I recieved with my phone but suddenly it wont charge my phone anymore. If i plug it into different outlets, different power adapters, even the included one as well, it keeps giving me the (this device is not certified by apple and may have problems) message. Does anyone know how to get this to stop or at least get my phone to charge?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 10:49 AM

restore the iphone

34 replies

Dec 6, 2013 10:34 AM in response to koolaydeman

Four iPads, many iPhones, computers, etc. from Apple and I've decided to get rid of all of it. This new iOS is terrible and the accessory cable BS is the last straw. I HAVE NO NON-APPLE CABLES! Sorry to yell but that was for any Apple employee who might read this.

Apple has jumped the shark. Sell your stock quickly and say goodbye.

Jan 13, 2014 9:20 AM in response to elizzabethby

Thats all well and good if you have an Apple store nearby. I had to pay for a charger and it didn't even work STILL. I have this problem as well, but my phone is now dead and won't charge with ANY charger. The cable I was using came with my phone. I called ATT and they can't support the phone because APPLE won't allow them to. APPLE does their own warranties. SO I called Apple and they want me to drive an hour and a half away to the nearest apple store, where they state they will mostly likely replace my phone (which means I lost everything on it too) OR I can mail it to Apple and they will repair or replace it via mail. OR I can can have an Express replacement for $29.99 overnighted to me BUT they will be putting a $500-600 hold on my debit card until they receive the old phone back. REALLY APPLE?? I travel for work. I don't feel very safe traveling without my phone. If I had known this piece of CRAP (that I have had for THREE MONTHS) was going to be this much problem, I would have gotten a DROID to begin with, OR not refused a company phone and opted for them to give me a cell phone allowance. Looks real cool that I can't be reached by my work after opting for this. I can't beleive anyone would carry Apple products if they are going to lose customers because of Apple. I for one, am driving to the ATT store that I bought this JUNK (10 mins away) and handing it back to them, then I am driving another 5 minutes to the Verizon store for a Droid. Hey Apple, if you don't allow your dealers to support your product, then maybe you should make your support better and more convenient. You don't charge end users for speedy replacements because YOUR product stopped working. Bad customer service. And if you need to demand that customers drive to YOUR store for support, maybe you should have more locations. Why should it cost me lost work time, and about a hundred dollars in gas to drive an hour and a half away for you to fix my phone that I already clearly paid too much for. And put 5-600 hold on my bank account???? That peice of crap isn't worth 50 bucks.

Jan 21, 2014 6:45 AM in response to KCoveney

I 100% agree. Every cable I have gives me the same error message. With new IOS, every time I shut down phone to save battery life, I have to log back in with password. It is dangerous when driving and has increased risk of accident ten fold. I can't even use the GPS and maps anymore. Stupidest thing Apple ever did. My phone, my wife's phone, and two other iphone's on my system are being replaced with Galaxy phones. AT&T upgrade is free and I am tired of all this crap from Apple. I still have my iphone 3g with the "no wifi" issue. Apple never did solve that problem and I counted over 130,000 complaints on a single forum. This is the last straw for me.

Feb 6, 2014 3:21 PM in response to GeoFan49

Apple extracted a lint ball, believe it or not, from the charging port and all works fine now.

> I had the same error meesage on my iPhone, which seemed to coincide with the system upgrade stating "cable not certified". I finally went to the Apple Store and they EXTRACTED A LINT BALL, no joke, from the charging port and all works fine now. The cable was simply not getting in far enough. You can do it yourself as long as you do not poke downward where you can damage the receptors. Thank you Apple for the outpatience procedure by your genius staff.

Apr 5, 2014 10:31 AM in response to bobelo

Tired of this also, my wife and my phone cables stopped working. We have all Apple products but if this is not fixed we will change from Apple, mind you we have a whole family that is getting tired of this. We pay a premium for Apple products but deliberate sabotaging equipment is not acceptable. If a fix is not made soon then its over for our family to play with Apple.

Apr 5, 2014 7:48 PM in response to bfosk

You think that's bad. I help manage communication for our fire and emergency services. We literally had thousands of apple products, THOUSANDS. Then they pulled the ios7 cable blocking software thing. They made me look like an idiot since I had recommended switching to apple products for consistency for our techs.

When ios7 was released hundreds of our fire crews, sea and response workers started losing their phones. All of them were dying In the field. We didn't have any major catastrophes when ios7 came out but we ran a risk analysis on apple products and the potential for them to cause widespread damage or collapse is fatal so I've been spending the last 6 months phasing them out. Basically crews would say we need 3 phones. Id send them three all set up. Now they ask for three phones and I say to them you can pick any. I tell them htc or samsung because they all know how the cable block screwed some of the response workers in remote areas. They didn't have phones for weeks. I had to spend THOUSANDS couriering 'certified cables' all over the state. To make it worse the cables are the WORST they break constantly just below the connection. That floppy piece that always breaks.

The WORST part was I went into the apple store with 40 cables. Their response was 'I've never seen that problem before...' And they told me I would have to buy all new cables... Thousands of them. A USB cable... That costs 50c to make that every other phone htc samsung Nokia complies with and makes...

Anyhow long story short we are phasing out all apple products. The 'frequent locations' (go look in settings privacy, location services, system services, frequent locations, frequent locations and be prepared to be freaked out...) and ad tracking was another feature on ios7 that went on on people's phones. No one knows how to go any deeper than 2 clicks in the settings so apple says they aren't hidden but we all know they are at 6 steps including unlock.

Not kidding when I say thousands of products now we recalled and threw away because of such a simple thing. Get the feeling they jumped the shark and are heading downhill from here on out.

Apr 11, 2014 11:58 PM in response to FireAndEmergency

I guess I have to jump ship to regain some sanity for a freaking mobile phone. Next firmware update will probably force me to purchase a brand new Apple cable because the original Apple cable that came with the phone in its box is not usable. Apple won't fix it cause it will be more profitable than customer friendly.

C'mon Apple. I purchased an iPhone than an Android because of it's reliablility. I don't know who to rely now. The only thing I can say is old Apple products kick new Apply products for their long establish reliablitiy. My iPod Touch(2nd) is laughing at my new iPhone.

my iphone 5 does not recognize my certified apple lightning cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.