Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover photo files from a 3rd generation Apple TV?

Is there any way to recover photo files from a 3rd generation Apple TV?

The hard drive on my <1 yr old MacBook Air failed and the only backup for a portion of my photos was my Apple TV. I thought I had backed up the photos elsewhere, but that was not the case. The photos are from my honeymoon, and very important to me.

Could Apple recover the files directly from the ATV3 hard drive, or are there any third party companies that could do so? It is OK if my warranty would be voided - it would be worth it in this case.

Apple TV 3-OTHER, Software Updated to 5.3

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 8:11 AM

5 replies

Oct 21, 2013 9:48 AM in response to Rudegar

Those links are about how to recover deleted photos from an iPhone using the iPhone's backup.

Maybe I'm missing the connection, but can you explain how those posts are relevant to my problem? The hard drive on my computer failed, so I highly doubt that I can access any AppleTV3 backup that there may or may not be on my computer...

Oct 21, 2013 4:42 PM in response to s.tuttle

The ATV 3 does not have an accessible hard drive. Most things are streamed and cached as you watch them, being flushed when new content is accessed.

The only thing that is temporarily stored are photos used for the screensaver, and only a small portion is used (typically around 100 are used).

Version 2 and 3 function the same. The 1st gen came with a standard hard-drive and could be used to sync content for offline viewing.

It is always best to make regular backups of important content.

Any discussions pertaining to modifying the device are not permitted here.

Recover photo files from a 3rd generation Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.