Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Pages 5.0

Hi guys,

I originally bought the iWork '09 suite on a disc, and have all three apps fully updated on my 2009 iMac and 2011 MacBook Pro. I've had no problem updating via software update and more recently the Mac App Store (at least I think I have). However, now that the newest version of the iWork apps are out, I'm not being allerted to update them. Even if I check the Mac App Store directly, nothing is showing up under 'update'. I am concerned that I will have to purchase these apps again despite these new (gorgeous) updates being free. Well, they are to users who purchased them from the App Store at least.

TL;DR: I have iWorks '09 but on a disc, not from Mac App Store. Can I still update to the newly released (as of today) versions for free?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 4:06 PM

Well, according to the Apple Press Release, yes. But Tech Support is not aware of this, apparently. They tried to tell me that I had to repurchase the iWorks apps, but I kept on reading to them their own Press release which clearly states that it's a free upgrade for existing users who have upgraded to Mavericks. That got them puzzled, so they are researching it and are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

Take a look at this thread where I have spelled out the details.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5466384?answerId=23466491022#23466491022&ac_cid=tw123456#23466491

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2013 4:06 PM in response to bazgil

Well, according to the Apple Press Release, yes. But Tech Support is not aware of this, apparently. They tried to tell me that I had to repurchase the iWorks apps, but I kept on reading to them their own Press release which clearly states that it's a free upgrade for existing users who have upgraded to Mavericks. That got them puzzled, so they are researching it and are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

Take a look at this thread where I have spelled out the details.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5466384?answerId=23466491022#23466491022&ac_cid=tw123456#23466491

Oct 22, 2013 10:46 PM in response to bazgil

Wish I knew they were fixing it. I paid the $20 for one update. Oh well. But thanks @Ikester. Just checked the app update and updating the rest of iWorks no charge.

Just a fair warning to you all that Apple does not mention. Keep your old Pages. This update replaces all of the templates you had for Pages iWork '09 (which were great).

Oct 23, 2013 7:07 AM in response to bazgil

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5843?viewlocale=en_US

i cloud supported software. So I guess I only use the pages 5 in applications to create new documents for the icloud and i get to use the pages 4.1 in the dock for the mac pro. you can create a duplicate and open it with pages 5 and save it with pages 5 but yo u wont be able to reopen with 4.1. (2 finger click/open with.....). just my thoughts and experience. In Icloud.com it says they are using "beta pages, numbers and keynote" but I didnt get that impression when i down loaded the software updates that were pushed to me after loading mavericks.

Oct 23, 2013 8:18 AM in response to bazgil

Try this (confirmed working):

1.Go to system preferences. 2.Open up User and Groups. 3.Unlock the lock. 4. Press Plus sign. 5.Create a new account and put TEST in the Full Name area. Change new account to an Administrator. Don't put anything else in. Hit Create User. 6. Log out of your account and then log in to the new TEST account. 7. Go to software update where the Apple is on the top left. You will now see iPhoto and iMovie. 8.You have to install Garageband separately and it does install separately then older Garageband. You can keep both installed. 8. Log out of the TEST account and log into your account. Delete the TEST account, and you are all done. Now you will have all new installed.

Oct 23, 2013 9:06 AM in response to bazgil

I went to the Mac App Store after upgrading to Mavericks and it told me the iWorks apps were $19.95 each. I elected to update only Pages and Numbers. This morning the App Store Updater notified me that Keynote 6 was available as a free Update.

I initiated a support chat and got the same response others are getting; they sent me a link to the "Up-To-Date" explanation page saying purchasers of Macs from October 1 forward get the updates free if they aren't on their machines.

But I saw the link to the press release somebody posted that says they are free to all. So I've also written to the press contacts about the situation.

Meanwhile my friend who has two Macs that are at least a year old has the App Store Updater notifiying him this morning that he has free updates waiting for all three apps.

I don't hold out much hope for a resolution involving a refund, but I'm quite ticked off by this whole thing.

Updating to Pages 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.