Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new GarageBand 10.0.0 - First Impressions

Just download the new GarageBand 10.0.0 and it is different, way different. I browsed through for a few minutes and here is what I noticed (maybe it is still there but hidden)

This is not an upgrade of GarageBand, this is a new app, exactly Logic, just a stripped down version.

No more Magic GarageBand

No more Podcast Track

No more Movie Tracks (at least limited)

No more send Movie to iWeb or iDVD (the writing was on the wall)

No More Inspector (New Smart Controls, from Logic)

No More Master Echo/Reverb (can't find it???)

New GUI (exactly like Logic)

New Smart Controls (from Logic)

New Drummer (from Logic)

New Library (from Logic)

New Quick Help (from Logic)

New Global Tracks (from Logic)

New save to SoundCloud

New beautiful looking AUEffects

New iCloud Sharing

BTW, the version numbering might be confusing. The "old GarageBand" was named "GarageBand 11 v6.0"4 and the new version is just "GarageBand v10.0.0" So what do we call it now? The "New GarageBand" or use its real name "Logic Express X".

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9), DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:07 PM

46 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:05 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

No more Movie Tracks (at least limited)

that is a pity - the movie track was great to get the music in sync to a movie.

New GUI (exactly like Logic)

New Smart Controls (from Logic)

One more reason gone to continue to use GarageBand.

New Drummer (from Logic)

That is great.

Edgar, can GarageBand now open Logic Projects, or is it still one-way?

-- Léonie

So what do we call it now? The "New GarageBand" or use its real name "Logic Express X".

Are you already workng on a new manual?

Oct 24, 2013 6:27 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

I just do not understand the thinking behind removing Magic GarageBand. It was one of the great features in the application. Find myself very disappointed in what has been done here. Frankly it has a gobbled together look and feel to it. As you say, as if someone took Logic Pro X and just threw things out to lighten it without actually thinking about the usability and usefulness for amateurs without musical training or using it for more fundamental audio creation functions than scoring.

Oct 24, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I mainly use GB for Dragging and dropping instrumentals, play a little piano, and sing a song with multiple tracks of vocals...

MAIN ISSUE: What happened to the simple function of selecting a premade effect like "Live Performance" or "Male Vocal".

And then being able to see all the layers of plugins that make that effect and edit them / add more echo / the reverb slider / add new au plugins??

I have to just be missing it, there's no way they removed the ability to edit a vocal track in detail right?

Another few minor but very annoying issues are as follows 😟 :

1. Being able to set the snap count from 1/4 through 1/64 to be able to slide a track in a smaller scale to the left or right. See at the top on signature you can change it to 1/64 BUT when you turn on the the metronome it also clicks at that speed which basically sounds like the computer is about to crash...
  2. I can no longer copy a small region on a track, and paste it to a different track where the playhead is.. THIS IS SO ANNOYING, now it paste's it on the same track that it was copied even if you highlight the track you actually wanted it pasted to... and if you just highlight the area you want to move and drag it to the new track it places it all offset instead of snapping to the playhead, forcing me to have to go in, find it and slide it to where it should have pasted in the first place. (waste of time)
  3. The new UI is all over the place.
  • The zoom is Inconveniently now on the other side of the screen away from everything else (does apple know the zoom feature is used hundreds of times throughout a single session & they had plenty of room to put it exactly where it was in the past)?
  • The zoom button is also in the way of the "end song" marker, which is impossible to click and drag because it just zooms in and out now.
  • The "follow playhead" button is bugged having to press it a few times to work, sometimes it doesn't let the screen follow the playhead on the Edit track "bottom of screen".
  • When track is playing, can't scroll up or down.
  • I can't complain the whole time without saying that the new colors and other cosmetics of the UI are nice, but I hate this new version of garageband and am finding a way to get back my old 6.4.0 as soon as I post this.
  • 4. Not everyone is a "rock band" you can't just add some new drummer effect and say you have totally improved the program, in my opinion you ruined it.

I am a diehard fanboy of everything apple does and I hate the fact that the program i use most on my computer is now a burden to use, so it hurts me to be so upset and complain. But I couldn't help it. It is aweful and in now way done in excellence.

Oct 24, 2013 12:50 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Everyone's needs and expectations are different and I can only speak for my own. The more time I spend with GB 10.0, the more I appreciate its approach. I have Logic 9, and I've been trying to decide whether to plunk down $200 for Logic X. Now I don't think I will.

When I work in complex apps like Logic, I become enchanted (preoccupied?) with the millions of options available for tweaking the sound. Hmmm... Which compressor? 10 different synths? All those delay plugins?

With the new Garageband, many of those choices are no longer available. Others find that to be frustrating but I'm finding it liberating. The Smart Control window is zen-like in it's simplicity and presentation. It offers only those parameters you'll probably need to adjust to get a near-perfect rendering. Nothing more. Season with the occassional AU plugin and you still have a broad pallette for shaping sound.

I have a demanding day job, so the little time I get to work on recording needs to be productive. It looks like Garageband 10.0 will facilitate that very nicely.

Hozay

P.S. The new interface really is beautiful.

Oct 24, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Us non-musicians, who once had a great app that had it possible even for us to create music, have now been left behind. Unfortunately the solution for many will probably be simple piracy.

Previously I used GarageBand in my lectures on Computer Graphics. It was a perfect tool, to allow my students to quickly assemble a soundtrack for the movies they made. I could show them the basics and get them started in only a few hours.

We used mainly the loops and the sound effects instrument, as well as the many ready made voices with vocal transformer effects.

I do not think, I will be able to use this tool any more - I would be forced to teach my students the basics of music theory as well.

Oct 24, 2013 3:18 PM in response to izreal

I too agree - what a disappointment. And I saw in another thread, that they do not offer us to perform a roll back! 😠

They took all the ease of use paired with the really advanced stuff you could do with 6.05 and turned it into a nightmare. All my previous work has more or lees gone down the drain.

I miss the ability to add delay, reverb, phaser, tremolo, chorus...ect into each individual track. Mastering and downmixing suddenly belongs to the past.

The session drummer might be a nice feature, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I probbably have to find another app to use, that offers the above features....[insert very foul language]!!!!

I miss my good old version of Garageband! I want it back

[Correction]

From the search window I found the old version - which I didn't delete, and it works nicely 😁 - wisely I didn't delete the old version. Now I can go to bed happy

Message was edited by: Hr Baltzer

The new GarageBand 10.0.0 - First Impressions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.