Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a template style page in Pages 5

Can anyone help me please?

I have upgraded to Pages 5.0 and not only are there far fewer interesting templates for me to start working from (I am looking particularly in the Newsletters section) but I am also having a problem adding template styled pages to a new project.

Previously I simply clicked on Insert > Pages in the menu and then selected the layout. I can't seem to find how to do this in 5.0 - all I can do is create a blank section.

I'm sure I must be missing something really obvious but I can't figure out what it is!

Regards, Peter

PS is there any way to upgrade to Pages 5.0 but not lose the decent (interesting) templates? I'm a school teacher and the kids love having interesting templates to start with - these new ones are terrible!

Pages 5.0-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:55 PM

20 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:11 PM in response to Irish Pete 79

I'm having the same issue, I feel as though a lot of features maybe missing from Pages 5 as of right now. I'm trying to add a premade section and that features isn't available either. The fact that you can't customize the toolbar or even control click on your pages for duplicating, copying a page, cutting a page, etc is a huge deal breaker to me.

Oct 22, 2013 10:49 PM in response to Irish Pete 79

I've found I can still pretty much use Pages the same way (with the exception of customizing the tool bar), and I can still do all the same things (there's even a few nice extra features) .... BUT... the templates!!!! What happened to all the wonderful old templates I loved! 😠😢

I also see what juicy means about duplicating and copying.

I still have the old version of Pages and I think I'll keep using that until this new version of Pages is updated and/or fixed!

Oct 23, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Irish Pete 79

I'm having similar issues. My main concern is that Apple may be leading with the functionality of the iOS devices and web browsers and subordinating functionality of the Macs.

I had imagined that this update would *increase* the wordprocessing capabilities of Pages . . . at least "as well as" increasing its sharing capability and aesthetic. I didn't think it would be "instead of." At the end of the day, I use Pages for its Word Processing, but less so now, clearly.

Oct 23, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Irish Pete 79

The lack of page/section styles was one of the first features I noticed missing in Pages 5.0. This is really disappointing for me as I've created a number of my own document templates and have made extensive use of page/section styles.

On one hand I can understand why Apple may have removed this feature. It is rather an anomaly among its peers. Microsoft Word does not use page/section styles and to some users it could be a bit of a confusing feature in Pages. I know for me it was somewhat confusing at first. I was used to the MS Word way of doing things and I was wondering how these section style templates differed from me just setting my own section style. But then I figured out that it is like a slide template in Keynote. It is simply a template and can be used as a shortcut to setup a new document section in a standard style. Since figuring out how to use the page/section styles, it has been awesome and has been one of the key reasons I like Pages better than Word and why I switched completely from Word to Pages.

For now, I guess I will have to figure out how to work without it which will basically mean that I will have to go back to the old manual method of just copying and pasting section styles. It will take longer to add new sections with identical styles to a document and will be more buggy. It is likely that I will not always get it exactly correctly which will result in consistency issues in my documents. As well, the inability to copy and paste whole pages/sections from the page thumbnails will make this process take even longer and be even more buggy. But ultimately it is doable.

I can only hope that the page/section templates is a feature that Apple will bring back very soon. I wish someone from Apple would at least let us know if this feature will be making its way back in or if it is gone for good. Accordingly, we could move on or plan for its return.

Adding a template style page in Pages 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.