Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0 and Network Drives

Hi fellow iMovie users

Having just upgraded my install following the release of the new iLife apps this evening, I am running into some trouble

I had enabled access to network and external drives for iMovie 9 and would now like to do the same with iMovie 10

In iMovie 9 this Terminal command did the trick

defaults write -app iMovie allowNV -bool true

In the new iMovie 10 I am trying to access the iMovie library on my network drive. File > Open Library > Other... > and finally selecting the iMovie library on my network drive

Now I see a popup reading:

Libraries cannot be saved at this location

The format of the selected hard disk or network volume is not supported. Select a different location.

Curious to see if anyone has a workaround or pointers.

I am looking forward to getting this working..

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 4:40 PM

iMovie is asking for a disk that is correctly formated. You're not able to format your NAS in the correct way so you need to create a disk image that is in the correct format. That image can be created on the NAS

disk utility - new image

Save as: your-name

Where: Network share

Name: your-name

Size: Custom

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Encryption: none

Partitions: Single partition - Apple partition map

Image Format: sparse disk image

(google can help)

Your disk image will mount as a fully functional disk which can be used for iMovie to store your library

(can someone explain the differance between sparse bundle disk image and sparse disk image?)

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 4:40 PM in response to yetieater

iMovie is asking for a disk that is correctly formated. You're not able to format your NAS in the correct way so you need to create a disk image that is in the correct format. That image can be created on the NAS

disk utility - new image

Save as: your-name

Where: Network share

Name: your-name

Size: Custom

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Encryption: none

Partitions: Single partition - Apple partition map

Image Format: sparse disk image

(google can help)

Your disk image will mount as a fully functional disk which can be used for iMovie to store your library

(can someone explain the differance between sparse bundle disk image and sparse disk image?)

Oct 22, 2013 9:12 PM in response to yetieater

Me too - using Synology NAS (not Apple formatted Extended Journaled File system). Worked before in iMovie just before upgrade, apparantly this is no longer an option?

What if the external drive and all our media is much larger than the Apple Hard Drives provides for? The new iMovie 10 library format appears to be limiting in requiring a certain disk format. I understand the pros and cons, however, would be willing to accept the limitation and cons over no avail whatsever.

Oct 28, 2013 6:27 AM in response to MacSjon1

I can confirm that MacSjon1's solution works! I had been troubleshooting this for days, and this sparse image idea is a stroke of brilliance. iMovie treats the mounted volume as an external drive as opposed to a NAS.

I'd like to add that when creating the CUSTOM size, select an amount that allows for library growth. I have about 250GB of video, and I chose 500GB. It doesn't take that much space, but it gives me an image with growth potential.

Transfer the Movies and Events folders to the mounted image. If the image is unmounted when iMovie is launched, double click the image, and iMovie will ask to update those projects/events. Otherwise, just click "Update Projects" etc etc.

From this point forward, your iMovie Library lives on the disk image (which lives on your NAS).

Again, brilliant solution, and I give huge props to MacSjon1.

Oct 28, 2013 7:36 AM in response to yetieater

MacSjon1,

Ditto. Thank you for you the workaound!

Since my library is approx 1/2 TB, I wanted to ask a potentially newbie questions to see if you or someone can please help me (and others?) measure twice and cut once.

For those like myself who have not played much with creating new Image Files under Disk Utility, should I go ahead and create a larger 1 TB Image now, or can I expand the image size later if I find I need to bump up image disk space over time (assuming Apple doesn't release a patch re-activating NAS file system access)?

The reason I'm asking (basically, the question behind the question) is whether a really large image file will be any kind of performance issue sitting on a NAS vs. a smaller image file. I assume this is mostly memory based application fileswapping, etc. I should add, I have googled the Sparse Image format, so I understand the concept now of it not using the full file size until it needs it, but if my currect library is 1/2 TB, shouldn't I need a full TB because it will convert my existing library into the new format causing it to store the library in the new .library format, thereby taking up the remaining 1/2 TB?

Thank you very much in advance for any guidance and response.

Oct 28, 2013 8:49 AM in response to MacSjon1

This is excellent! I've accepted your response as a working solution.

The sparse bundle disk image looks to be used primarily for Time Machine & FileVault. I wonder what performance advantage it may offer for iMovie, if any.

My thoughts on sizing of the sparse disk image: since the sparse disk image can grow up to the size assigned it during creation, it may make sense to size it according to your largest volume or hard drive.

This allows for growth of the library up to the physical limitations of your existing NAS or external drive setup.

iMovie 10.0 and Network Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.