Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated To Mavericks, Now Audio Quality Blows.

I just updated to OS X Mavericks. However, after I updated I went to play music from iTunes and the playback quality sounds like my speakers are blown (on both my laptop and external speakers). But this has something to do with iTunes because my other audio from apps like Spotify and Vevo are normal. I restarted my computer but still doesn't make a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 2:34 AM

47 replies

Oct 23, 2013 6:49 PM in response to tkoga70

I've noticed the same. Not sure if it is iTunes 11.1.2 or Mavericks itself. Either way, I completely turned off the equalizer (mine was flat all the time anyways).

Turning off and on again (or maybe changing presets) seems to work, at least temporarily. In my case the distortion gradually came back after a couple of minutes of playback.

Oct 24, 2013 11:03 AM in response to tkoga70

I am having the same issue on my 2012 imac. It sounds like the speakers are struggling with any bass boosting, i.e. sounding a bit muffled.

It is not just iTunes as I have a audio application which allows me to change the equalizer of the whole computer, and any bass boosting causes this problem.

Hopefully apple with resolve this issue with an update.

Updated To Mavericks, Now Audio Quality Blows.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.