Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Presenter Display Problem

I updated to Mavericks and Keynote 6 last night. This morning I find that my class presentations do not display correctly. I have an external monitor (not via AppleTV) connected (and a projector in the classroom), and when I play the presentation the presentation appears to be overlaid on top of the presenter display on my main screen. I can see the edges of the presenter display under the main presentation screen (which is on my main monitor). The seconday monitor simply displays my desktop. This appears to be a Keynote problem since the seconday display appears to be working fine with everything except Keynote. If the solution is to change one of the settings in the presenter display, I am in trouble, since I cannot get to the presenter display controls as they are covered up by the display screen when I go to presentation mode. There appears to be no other way to access the presenter display settings (why aren't they in the Preferences?). The only way that I can find to view the display on the external monitor is to set the screens to mirror, but then (of course) I loose the presenter display entirely.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:18 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Cris Berman

I did try using the 'x' key shortcut, but it does not work. Keynote appears not to recognize that there is an external display at all (though every other piece of software does). I have now tried this with three external monitors/projectors, all with the same result. So it is either something in K6 or in Marvericks, but it doesn't seem to affect any other software that I have tried.

In another thread, mainman1303 documented a workaround: moving the Keynote window to the external display and running the presentation froim there works -- you can then use the 'x' key to swap and put the presenter display on the laptop window and the main output on the external window. It works, but it is clumsy solution.

How could they have not caught this in beta testing?

Oct 24, 2013 5:22 AM in response to David L. Adams

In another thread, macmine and mainman1303 identified an useful workaround. Here is what you need to do:

1) Make sure the new version of Keynote has an icon on the dock.

2) Control-click on the dock icon, and go to the options.

3) Change the setting from 'Desktop on Display 1' to 'All Desktops'

4) When you run your presentation the first time the presenter display may come up on the projector/external monitor. If so, press the 'x' key to swap monitors (or use the icon in the upper left corner of the presenter display. After that it should work fine.

This seems to solve the problem, but there is still a bug here that needs to get fixed. And the options (and others) should be in the preference settings, not buried in an obscure place like the dock icon.

Oct 30, 2013 12:50 PM in response to David L. Adams

I had the same problem. The difference is that I just updated to Mavericks and I kept my version 5.3 of Keynote. The solution that seems to work for me is to drag the keynote application in the secondary display before starting the presentation. When I do that, it works as previously (presenter view in one display and presentation in the other).

just found anoter solution here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5479037

Nov 5, 2013 8:07 PM in response to mflavieaf

I have to add: I could not get my Keynote to play/display on another monitor. Opening Keynote on my MacBook Pro, window is on my MacBook. Pressing play and it would not display on the remote monitor. Then I moved the Keynote window over to the monitor I want to display on, hit play and then it presented on the remote monitor AND my presentor notes show up on the MacBook. Wierd.....hope this makes sense?. Hope this helps also. Then I discovered (finally) that my iPhone can be sync'd as a remote. Nothing new, but new to me ; )

Presenter Display Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.