Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external mac keyboard not working with maverick on macbook air

I installed Mavericks 10.9 on a mid-2013 macbook air. The Apple external keyboard is no longer working from either usb port (external usb mouse does work, however, as does external firewire display). Reset PRAM and SMC to no effect. External keyboard and external monitor (firewire) were connected at time of installing 10.9 (no idea if this interferred with the setup). Any suggestions on how to resolve appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:44 AM

129 replies

Mar 20, 2017 4:46 AM in response to nrorg

Hi all,

My solution to this problem was the following:

https://www.zigpress.com/2014/12/30/has-your-apple-mac-external-usb-keyboard-sto pped-working/

Basically, I use a powered USB hub and with that my external keyboard works consistently. Previously, I had to repeatedly plug it in and out although sometimes even that continuous fiddling wouldn't be enough.

HTH.

Cheers,

Giovanni

Nov 1, 2017 1:18 AM in response to nrorg

Same issue, today after upgraded, keyboarder stopped working, and due to this I could not restart the system because I could not input my password...login to guest account, then use the soft keyboarder to restart.

Okay, several times inserting/releasing the usb plug and restart the system, still not works....

Finally I use one very cheap usb hub, then works...

What is it means... I could not understand...

Nov 11, 2013 6:55 AM in response to nrorg

Me three. The text entry keys work on the USB keyboard, but none of the control/ command/ function/ option keys do. (Which is useless if you want to use ANY keyboard shortcuts.)

Does this have something to do with keyboard preferences and security stuff (about what is allowed to control the computer functions?) In my keyboard prefs only the text keys are lit up; all the other keys are grayed out.

Nov 27, 2013 3:45 AM in response to nrorg

I have a new MacBook Pro with retina, 1TB SD, external 27" monitor (3 years old but works just fine). I plug my apple wired keyboard into the usb of the monitor and the monitor into the Thunderbolt socket of the MacBook. Most of the time I can not detect the external keyboard. The only way around it is to disconect the keyboard, wait about 2 minutes, plug it back in again and I can use it. It does not help if I just disconnect the whole display complete with keyboard by unplugging the Thunderbolt connector and putting it back in again.

It's not the end of the world but 'something' must fix this **** neusance! Any ideas anyone??

external mac keyboard not working with maverick on macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.